Hi everybody

adam_86_1986

Hi everyone, sorry in advance for the real newbie question, but i'm after some advice on 4x4ing with in my 02 Pajero. I've only ever really used it on basic flat gravel roads and wanted to start testing it out on something that might give it a bit of a challenge. I'm just wondering how far i could push it in standard form. obviously its no patrol or cruiser, but what type of track would it be able to handle?

cptmud

first and formost, dont go 4wding on your own. The pajeros are a very capale 4wd. start with very basic stuff and slowly work your way up to some more challanging stuff as you get used to your 4wd. We had 2 newbies out in pajeros in eposide 1, and they did very well

LowLux

G'day Adam and welcome. Let me tell you something, a Pajero may not be a Cruiser or Pootrol but if you use it as it should be, there's nothing it won't do that the others can. Most of the time it comes down to using it right. As time goes, you may decide to get a great set of shoes for it and maybe a locker or two, THEN LOOK OUT! once you have them, you can have a better weapon than a stock Pootrol or Criuser. Be sensible, have fun and try never to go out alone.

Croozer

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Hi Adam, Yeah Pajero's do the job standard alright. Just take it easy and lern your limits and take a friend with you if you have drama's. Other than that give it heaps and enjoy yourself.

stets

on a stock level, pajeros are not far from par with the patrols and cruisers and are even better than then in the sand. ok out in the rougher rutted tracks the front suspesion lets them down a bt, but on a stock vs stock level, you will right up there with the 105 ifs and 200 series cruiser (both ifs like ya paj)

if you take it easy and go out with a group, you will soon learn how different lines and a calmer approach can see you playing with the real 4wds.

darlingd

Biggest problem with the Pajeros is the standard ground clearance. I find I'm scraping the bottom earlier than most, and am looking to get a lift done shortly.

adam_86_1986

Thanks for the replys guys. Was thinking about heading down to the broken cart trail in the holidays. Found a couple experienced mates you said they would tag along. Anybody know what the tracks around there are like at the moment?

feral fourbee

wheel travel is your biggest problem...
just get out there and give it a go....
and just think about what lines you can take..
and have fun.....

good luck

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
on a stock level, pajeros are not far from par with the patrols and cruisers and are even better than then in the sand. ok out in the rougher rutted tracks the front suspesion lets them down a bt, but on a stock vs stock level, you will right up there with the 105 ifs and 200 series cruiser (both ifs like ya paj)

if you take it easy and go out with a group, you will soon learn how different lines and a calmer approach can see you playing with the real 4wds.

The ' Real 4WDs ' ...........Thought I had one

rodw

Biggest problem with the Pajeros is the standard ground clearance. I find I'm scraping the bottom earlier than most, and am looking to get a lift done shortly.

This is not just a problem for the Pajero. You really need a lift in almost any car to go off road.

Seriously though in our 4WD club here is one guy there that had a Pajero and he was not frightened of using the right foot and it was amazing where he went on stock tyres. Having said that, he did not know its limits and he often dangled off a snatch strap and often gave us difficult recoveries becasue he did not know when to acknolwdge he was stuck and usually made things worse.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Welcome Adam. The Pajero offroad is good when compared to other standard 4by's. I have been out with the old and new sytled Pajero and both suffer from supression travel issue which can cause traction issues. When all wheels are on the ground they are just as good as any other offroad. The older version had live alxe in the back which helped a lot. I driven a 2006 version on the beach at Fraser and it drives well and that is comparing it to a Prado. When you go out make sure you have someone else with a good 4by with you and recovery gear.

Attachments

• DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Picture 065.jpg
    Picture 065.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 97

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
We had no real 4x4 experience before we bought Ekki and our old girl has taken us everywhere we've asked of her. You could say we made sure we stayed well within, both our capability and the Paj's and now we are having to hunt for more challenging tracks as our experience has increased. Have fun they're a great car.

Mmmnn Nov in O'Tooles :rolleyes:

Kaz :D

BILLBY

paj fun

i owned a 88 wagon pretty stock but it was able to enjoy a lot of the tracks sth to the border including the bendethra area which has some good 4wding. Though it did consume the rocket juice fairly quickly it had room for gear, reasonably high and was bullet proof:cool: