Here’s trouble

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Having been around when diesel vehicles were rare and when we only drove petrol vehicles, it is interesting for me to note.
Back then we viewed anything diesel was dirty and polluting and trucks did have diesel but we did not like them.
I know that people today will tell you that diesel is not carcniogenic, polluting, etc. etc. because of technology.
However I wonder if ease of producing, cost reduction, economy of consumption, etc. has something to do with that. I have heard people speak about petrol pollution especially leaded petrol in the past, however for me personally, if I had to stand behind a running vehicle's exhaust today and breathe in the fumes, it would not be diesel.:eek:.
Britain is on the same path as Germany and I reckon other European countries will follow. Maybe Nissan saw it coming :).

typhoeus

Having been around when diesel vehicles were rare and when we only drove petrol vehicles, it is interesting for me to note.
Back then we viewed anything diesel was dirty and polluting and trucks did have diesel but we did not like them.
I know that people today will tell you that diesel is not carcniogenic, polluting, etc. etc. because of technology.
However I wonder if ease of producing, cost reduction, economy of consumption, etc. has something to do with that. I have heard people speak about petrol pollution especially leaded petrol in the past, however for me personally, if I had to stand behind a running vehicle's exhaust today and breathe in the fumes, it would not be diesel.:eek:.
Britain is on the same path as Germany and I reckon other European countries will follow. Maybe Nissan saw it coming :).
Funny that, back in my day, only diesels were allowed underground cause petrol makes Carbon monoxide which kills you ( don't even mention lead in it) sure they had scrubbers . . which were basically a water spray in the exhaust. nobody wore masks, The trucks were Cat 631 scrapers which were converted into dump trucks by a company called Wigmores complete with open cab protected only by a heavy roll cage, and when they were hauling a full load up the decline , the smoke would sting your eyes. Now I suppose they might be all air-conned, sealed etc etc. But I'll bet they are still diesel only. So now I see diesel busses running on CNG, so they would be clean . . no particulates & still have plenty of power etc. wonder why this hasn't become more widespread, and cheaper to convert?

typhoeus

Yes battery power has changed things dramatically in recent years, that's for sure altho the " zero emissions" bit is somewhat misleading. . . unless they are charged by solar, they are just moving the emissions from the vehicle to the power station.

Waza

70% of the worlds air pollution originates in the northern hemisphere, they are just reaping what they sowed. China and India are planting 100s of millions of trees to compensate and clean their air. Gotta luv livin in OZ !!

Spooner

Yes battery power has changed things dramatically in recent years, that's for sure altho the " zero emissions" bit is somewhat misleading. . . unless they are charged by solar, they are just moving the emissions from the vehicle to the power station.
Agreed its all a con , the best part is , I'll be dead by then and won't have to worry about it :)