Change background image

Help with camping site upto 3 hours from sydney.

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by Userinterface, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Userinterface

Userinterface New Member

Hi Guys, I am having trouble locating a camping spot for Easter. I usually go to the duckmaloi but wanted to try somewhere different this year.
    I was looking at Turon but just found out that they have a total fire ban, and I'm really looking for somewhere where we can sit around the fire and have some drinks.
    Can anyone recommend somewhere that we can do some trout fishing and also have a fire? I'm planning on using an awning tent this year, so would like to be able to access fishing from the campground so that I don't have to pack everything up during the day and risk losing our spot.

2. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

Give Blue Mountains NP office a call. The Turon fire ban is due to be lifted March 30 at 3pm. That's good friday. If that remains the plan to Turon would still be a good option.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Abercrombie?

4. Userinterface

Userinterface New Member

Thanks Toddyh, I saw on think link that it said until further notice but if it ends on the 30th I'll check closer to the day.

Where is Abercrombie smitty? Had a look at the list on here but no results.

5. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

hi mate.

Barrington Tops area has some great spots eg Knorrit Flat, Cundle Farm, Cobark etc

Other option that is a bit further away is Cracknback on the Macleay River

not 100% about fishing though - think these are more Bass than Trout

6. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

7. Userinterface

Userinterface New Member

8. Userinterface

Userinterface New Member

I look into access at barrington tops. I only have a Kia Sorento, so although it has 4x4 its nothing special.

9. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

Coolendel

Albynsw likes this.
  10. Superdad

All these spots can be accessed by an AWD

11. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

Have a look at this thread. Don't know the area personally but mentions fishing.

12. Userinterface

Userinterface New Member

That's good to know, I always thought it was like the watagans.
    Might see if I can convince my mate to skip the fishing, would be nice to get up there and check out the view.

13. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Hill End take the Bridle Track down to the river. Plenty of camp spots, the track is bumpy but a Subaru would have no trouble. Plenty to see and do around Hill End, camping in town is nice too.

14. mikehzz

I might add that I was up around Turon a few weeks ago and the river was pretty dry. It wasn't flowing at all and a lot of the crossings were fully dry or just puddles. We've had rain since but it would take a lot. I don't know where the fish hide in such conditions.

15. Userinterface

Userinterface New Member

Hey Chook. I have been to heaps of places around Oberon because I went holidaying at the coxes river (not far away) since I was a tiny tucker. My family going back generations used to go here every holiday but now they have built cabins on the site so I'm looking for a change. I'm trying to avoid the National parks, they do look awesome but I don't feel like I'm camping unless I am sitting around a campfire at night and that seems to be the limitation for most.

16. Userinterface

Userinterface New Member

I just watched a youtube clip to see what the track was like and its really just a dirt road, so no problems there. I did, however, see this vid first which gave me a bit of concern. I'm not sure that I would like to squeeze past the rock at about 30 seconds in..
    As for fishing up there, most places in NSW are dry nowadays, fish usually just hole up in a deep spot if they can be found. I'm not too concerned about it, as long as there is a river around to play in (Probably do more drinking than fishing anyway. lol).

17. Userinterface

Userinterface New Member

Yay, we have a winner. My mate is happy to try Hill End with me. Is there anything that I need to know? Will I be able to find camping spots once I make it to the river?
    This is the image that I sent him. It sold this location instantly :D http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qVJuKtjX8...AAAXQ/G8MnJLMoOSo/s1600/P1000741+(Medium).JPG

18. mikehzz

A nice way to get to Hill End is to turn off the highway at Sunny Corner and go through Dark Corner, over Mt Horrible into Sofala then on to Hill End. I usually just camp in the NP town campground, it's even got showers. Take day drives out in all directions, down the Bridle Track, out to Dixons Long Point', all the lookouts, mine tour, gold fossicking spots on the north side. There's not a lot of difficult driving in any of that but plenty of historical interest. The night sky at Hill End can be spectacular.

RODEODAVE likes this.
  19. mikehzz

The Bridle Track is blocked by a rock fall coming from Bathurst. You come in from the Hill End side and it's a 10-15km slow drive down to the river. There are some spots with drop toilets but people usually rough it on the river bank. The road is narrow and bumpy, enough to stop you driving fast but nothing difficult. There are some rocks that stick up and might catch a low car but you just pick your way around them.

20. Superdad

as someone else said, just check river conditions. I was up on the Turon River a few weeks back and it was as dry as i have ever seen it. They have had rain since but i have no idea if it has been enough to get things moving again