Help Needed

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Hi All,

Not sure what the bit I am asking about is called, or even if it should be in the 'Suspension' thread. It runs across the width of the rear of the vehicle and sits just in front of the rear diff.

As they say, a picture tells a thousand words, and I hope someone knows what I am talking about.

This is the bit I am talking about
80649_Suspension4.jpg

Another view of the same bit
932891_Suspension1.jpg

There appears to be a lot of movement / free play in this bit. It is easy to slide sideways without any real effort and there is about 50mm play in this direction.

Also, you can push the bar upwards ( away from the ground ) and there is about 30mm play in this direction.

This photo shows how it normally sits
978830_Suspension2.jpg

This photo shows some of the vertical free play in the bit. There is more than shown in the pic, it was just difficult to take a pic at the same time as moving the arm up.
32036_Suspension3.jpg

I suppose my question is, is this normal. It is on a 1996 NJ LWB 3.5 litre petrol Pajero.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Davidman

That's my problem, not sure if they are worn, and if they are, how much, and also what would be acceptable wear without getting to a dangerous stage or such a condition that may damage other things.
I'm in the dark on this one.

Grumpy

rear torsion bar and no it's not normal, needs attention Davidman would be my guess mate. You shouldn't be able to move it much at all.

teza h

Yes they are worn! the bar is the sway bar,stops body role. The conecting rods or pins,"the ones with the thred & rubers on em" should hold the sway bar fermly in place,not slide up n down at all, these will need replacing x 2. new pins should come with rubers.

Grumpy

See now that's the difference I call them Torsion bars because they stop the body roll by taking the pressure in the bar, others call them sway bars which is correct, Cheers

shovelboy

Hey Davidman that is a sway bar and by looks of it there is 1 bush missing from that picture which needs to be replaced and its not a difficult job to do if you need a hand give me a pm and we can go through it
Cheers Anthony

Davidman

There has been a bit of a clicking / tapping when under acceleration or turning. Not always there and doesn't happen too much. Has only been happening since the weekend when I think the sway bar bolt damage was done. Is it likely that this is the cause ?

Yarrum

Hi All,

Not sure what the bit I am asking about is called, or even if it should be in the 'Suspension' thread. It runs across the width of the rear of the vehicle and sits just in front of the rear diff.

As they say, a picture tells a thousand words, and I hope someone knows what I am talking about.

This is the bit I am talking about
657806_Suspension4.jpg

Another view of the same bit
51115_Suspension1.jpg

There appears to be a lot of movement / free play in this bit. It is easy to slide sideways without any real effort and there is about 50mm play in this direction.

Also, you can push the bar upwards ( away from the ground ) and there is about 30mm play in this direction.

This photo shows how it normally sits
979373_Suspension2.jpg

This photo shows some of the vertical free play in the bit. There is more than shown in the pic, it was just difficult to take a pic at the same time as moving the arm up.
784764_Suspension3.jpg

I suppose my question is, is this normal. It is on a 1996 NJ LWB 3.5 litre petrol Pajero.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Hi Davidman, as already stated it is your sway bar. The problem appears tp be that the metal retainer under the rubber has worn through. Look at your 4th picture. That metal ring sitting above the lower rubber is the problem. Their is a tube spacer (a bit of pipe) that keeps the space between the upper and lower rubbers and therefore holds the tension that stops body roll. The metal washers (maybe they have another name, seats??) have worn through. The rubbers look a bit cracked so I would suggest replacing all the washers/seats and rubbers. If you are looking for a cheap repair at this point you will need to replace the washers/seats. On second look, I suspect it has been like this for some time and that the pipe spacer has also cut through bracket attached to the body. A heavy duty washer or metal plate may be needed to take the pressure as well.
I hope this helps.
Yarrum

Davidman

Thanks Guys

Off to buy a set of bolts, washers, bushes etc etc tomorrow and fit them after work.

Does the metal spacer come in different lengths. I was thinking that if the sway bar itself is worn, then a slightly longer spacer may assist.

Will let you know how it goes.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Those washers and rubbers can be purchased for a good suspension place but the big thing is to check if the pins (bolts) are not damaged. There is a section on both ends that need to be square not burred or rounded. If burred or rounded, you will need to purchase new pins

Davidman

Thanks bmurray,
Think I will just replace the lot on both sides. That way it is all new and both sides are even.

Davidman

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Replaced sway bar bushes and link pin assemblies both sides. Should do the trick.
Thanks

WILDTI

4x4 Earth Contributer
It was great to see you at my work today David, hope Matt could lead you in the right direction & shead some light on the subject

croozza

Doesn't look like the correct link pins, there should be a locating point on the underside of the top mount to stop the pin from moving.

Davidman

Comparing the old ones that I took out against the new ones, I may as well not have had anything there at all. There are now nuts either side of the washers and rubbers to prevent any movement.
Thanks again