Change background image

Help needed to overhaul front axle GQ Patrol

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Alby123, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Alby123

Alby123 Active Member

Hi everyone as some of you maybe aware of the fact that I have back injuries that do not allow me to do the heavy lifting work that I use to be able to do. As this is the dilemma that I have learnt to live with I have been able to manage servicing my vehicle without too many dramas; however I now have to replace the wires for the electric diff lock in the front axle due to the fact that when it was first installed the installer's did a lousy job on the wiring part. When they put the wires through the diff housing they put terminal connectors just outside the diff housing; which was fine at the time. Since then after one of my 4wd outings I went to use the diff lock only to find out it did not work due to the fact that the terminal connectors were damaged.
    This means that the 2 wires coming out of the diff housing have to be replaced with new wiring, now to do this the front axle has to be disassembled to replace that wiring. Now due to the nature of the work to be done I would cause more damage to my back.
    So what I would like is there any one in Adelaide that would be able to help me do this job or is the any one that could give me access to a vehicle hoist.
    In return for the help I can offer building a cargo systems for their 4wd, welding jobs,woodturned gifts and leather goods.

2. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

You cant solder a new terminal on or extend the wiring to solve the problem? . . That's a lot of work for a couple of piddly wires! . . and a lot of expense, new oil, grease, gaskets, etc

3. Alby123

Alby123 Active Member

Hi typhoeus unfortunately there is not enough wiring coming out of the diff housing to extend the wiring. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Alby123

Alby123 Active Member

Wires now extended and soldered to the diff lock wires. Thanks to those who helped me get the job done .

dno67 and Mr Rum like this.
  5. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

Did you end up dismantling the diff to do it alby?

6. Alby123

Alby123 Active Member

Yes you actually have to remove the axles to take the diff out , however you don't have to disassemble the diff gearing. The main reason for taking the diff out is to access the 2 wires on the inside to extend the wires and remove then refit the rubber plug with the new wires going through the rubber plug.

7. Alby123

Alby123 Active Member

Quick update just finished all the new wiring for the diff lock. Now as it turns out I've just found out that the coolant coming out of the timing cover means I now have to replace the timing cover gaskets. I think I'll tackle that job next week.