Help needed to add oziexplorer .plt tracks

polar bear

G’day fellow routers

When I am submitting a new track or attempting to edit on of my existing tracks I can’t add a gps track file. There are plenty of file type choices in the popup window but not an “oziexplorer track file” with a “.plt extension” option. All my tracks, waypoints and routes are in oziexplorer formats so I need assistance. Once I overcome this technical challenge of mine I have plenty of new tracks to submit.

Thanks
Lindsay

BUSHNUT

Hi Lindsay,

Going to the Mitta Mitta National 4WD gathering and there is a couple of sessions I have booked into on OZI explorer will take your question with me and see what I can find out

Happy Trails Ian

4x4admin

Administrator
Staff member
Give me a little bit, I'll setup 4x4earth to allow importing plt files directly. Stay tuned ;)

4x4admin

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I think we're good to go :D I've added 'Oziexplorer plt file' to the types that can be uploaded. Could you give it a try?
If, after you've done the upload, you just see a map of the world or a single track start point, just refresh your browser (hit F5 on your keyboard), and it should then show your track.
Let me know if you have any difficulties.

polar bear

G'day 4x4admin

I have submitted 3 tracks and the two accepted so far only show a small number of green triangles (a very small % of the track points) instead of a track line. When you click on these triangles the info provided is not metric like my submission, but in feet, miles and mph. I have filtered my third sumission to reduce the number of track points which may help.
Sorry to be a PITA but could you also insert "oziexplorer .plt" files into the download section of existing tracks so that I can spend my hard earned points.
I have some spare time, plenty of computing power and lots of spare GB on my broadband so if I can be of any use let me know.

Lindsay

Patriot

Administrator
Hey Lindsay,

The team will be back on deck tomorrow, so I will get them to have a look at the triangles issue again. Gav thinks there is an issue with Google Maps and the way it plots the points, but we will see what there is that we can do.

The metric issue should be pretty easy to fix (hopefully) :)

We should be able to add .plts into the download section.

How are you finding the upload process in general?

Thanks for the support.

James

4x4admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lindsay,

You can now download .plt track files. We're looking in the imperial units issue right now.

As for the intermittent points being plotted, it does look to be a limitation with Google Maps, but will look further into it. I noticed it was worse on one of the tracks you uploaded that had 3600 points, compared to a smaller track. Will get back to you on this one.

Hey, great tracks by the way :D :D

cheers,
Gav

polar bear

G'day Gav

Thanks you for all you efforts.
My newest tracks show plot line as well as the intermittent points which is great.
As my first 2 tracks are still triangles only, I will reduce the number of track points, edit the gps file info and resubmit.
This great site has spurred me on to get out more to plot and photograph some more of my local tracks. I will also keep working on my older stuff in the meantime.

Lindsay

polar bear

G'day James

Regarding the upload process.
My 2 observations

I use MS Office Word to prepare my notes and they sometimes don't paste in the same layout. This is not any real problem.

When I include a GPS file with my submission I can't seem to check if it was successful until you guys have approved it. I get the message that it was done OK but I'm one of these "measure twice cut once" old fellas so I always like to check just in case I uploaded
the wrong file.

2 other observations

I have uploaded some photos to others members tracks and they have not appeared in their relevant track notes yet.

Some of the tracks that only have a start point often have a track file added by the member but it is not displayed on the google earth map. To me the track notes, photos and the track on the map feed off each other to paint the full picture of what the submitting member experienced. Perhaps the submitting members actual track could be shown and other members tracks available for download.

Keep up the good work

Lindsay

Patriot

Administrator
Hey Lindsay,

I will look into the issue about the photos and track files not displaying. Having all of the information together is vital, becuase we need to capture things like tracks changes and different conditions as well as the fact that not everyone has a GPS.

The issue with the approval system for tracks is because we have a technical issue with submitted tracks. Sometimes, based on an unknown formula, when a track is submitted, it can cause all of the other tracks to disappear off the map. Despite our best efforts we can't work out what is causing it so we manually approve tracks and see if everything still works and if it doesn't we add a couple of spaces to the track description and the issue goes away. It is a little weird, and until we get it sorted we need to do manual approvals.

Thanks for the feedback!

James

4x4admin

Administrator
Staff member
When you click on these triangles the info provided is not metric like my submission, but in feet, miles and mph.
Lindsay

Hi Lindsay,

All new track files submitted will now show the markers in metric :) If you want to change your existing tracks to metric, just edit the track and re-submit the track file.

cheers,
Gav

jeffGowlett

Hey guys, I just tried to upload a Oziexplorer Track file and got the following error.
Invalid query: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' jr_lng= where contentid=265' at line 1
I decided to upload a GPS XML file instead. But it would be handy for the future if this was working.