Help me understand how Solar is cheaper at home.

Albynsw

Big issue with EV's is they put huge strains on overnight power. While countries have excess power with powerstations etc it makes sense to have something using that overnight power i.e. economy heaters, recharge your EV overnight etc.

But if we are running off batteries and renewables (which is mostly Solar) then your peak production is during the day and in a none lockdown world (remember them) the EV will be at work or doing chores, not sat in the garage to be charged off the solar.

Yes but that is my point, the load for charging EV’sis at night when you are trying to run your household off battery

LongRoad2Go

Do you think this will cut it? They are already having big issues in the US with the popularity of EV’s increasing and not enough power to charge them.

Apparently, with new EV technology, the idea is to plug the vehicle into the household socket at night and the residual power in the battery powers the grid. Since the new tech batteries charge extremely quickly and are on timers, come the morning peak, the cars are recharged and the grid functions normally. No forgetting hydro, wind, geothermal, etc all contributing to the grid in different ratios.

Admittedly, sounds good in fantasy ... er .... theory, but lots of issues in reality ... not to mention unforeseen events like terrorism, EMP/Solar disturbances, etc.

Renewable hydrogen seems more the reality, but still a long way to go with that too.

In the meantime, plant a few trees, grow a veggie garden, and use more public transport! ;)

Toyasaurus

The main motivation is not being shafted by the power companies.
Not having to worry about blackout`s, we have quite a few here.
Yes it saves me money, it also helps me do some small thing for the enviroment.

My system is probably going to pay for it`s self in about 13yrs, at current rates.
If I don`t pull the pin on the grid.

Now that the new legislation is through, that basically allows the power companies to commit highway robbery.

Albynsw

Apparently, with new EV technology, the idea is to plug the vehicle into the household socket at night and the residual power in the battery powers the grid. Since the new tech batteries charge extremely quickly and are on timers, come the morning peak, the cars are recharged and the grid functions normally. No forgetting hydro, wind, geothermal, etc all contributing to the grid in different ratios.

Admittedly, sounds good in fantasy ... er .... theory, but lots of issues in reality ... not to mention unforeseen events like terrorism, EMP/Solar disturbances, etc.

Renewable hydrogen seems more the reality, but still a long way to go with that too.

In the meantime, plant a few trees, grow a veggie garden, and use more public transport! ;)
All sounds good if it works, the issue they are having in the States is that there are not enough charge points in the condos and the grid won’t support the bigger load so connection is denied by the authorities.
I imagine we will have similar issues as our power demands increase, the grid was never designed to be used in this fashion.

People associate renewable and solar as cheap energy from the sun but I don’t think it will pan out that way. Infrastructure changes will be costly

Albynsw

So much for the gov`t commitment to solar,
I have been told that they have passed new laws that allow the power companies to do pretty much what they want.
Feed in tariff`s next to nothing and the possibility of actually being charged for putting power back in the grid.
If my feed in price drop`s below 12c per kw I`m going to pull the pin on the grid.

They have just killed the solar industry.

I can understand why this will happen.
Subsidised home systems has had a negative impact on the viability of commercial supply systems. During the day the energy providers are giving away their generated power as there is often too much but they are needed during the peak periods and at night so effectively only get to sell their product in peak times and carry the system the rest.
Solar has reached saturation point, we produce too much of the stuff and need a storage solution to move to the next phase