Help me understand how Solar is cheaper at home.

Toyasaurus

When they start closing down the stations, ( NSW ) they won`t be able to meet that demand.

It`s also protection against failures upstream.

If the gov`t would put in some money to help with new drilling technology, this is the biggest problem with geothermal.
They could even use the existing power station`s, just drill and add water.
Not quite as simple but close.

Last edited:

phs

We are already on the knifes edge if things in Europe get worse we will certainly see more power related issues

how can you trust a government that allows our gas to be exported prior to serving local demand
like Selling large amounts of our prime land we would be the only country in the world that would allow this to happen

anyway all the government short comings aside best look after your self as it’s not a matter of if it happens, but 100% it is a question of when

Triton14

We are already on the knifes edge if things in Europe get worse we will certainly see more power related issues

how can you trust a government that allows our gas to be exported prior to serving local demand
like Selling large amounts of our prime land we would be the only country in the world that would allow this to happen

anyway all the government short comings aside best look after your self as it’s not a matter of if it happens, but 100% it is a question of when
"A government" I think that's the issue.

State Gov's do whatever they want selling off/controlling assets, while the Federal gov moved way way to late to envoke/legislate laws/commissions to overlook this its put the whole country in a position it shouldn't be.

The pandemic showed just how little the fed gov have any control of any state issues & that is the issue, full stop!

China & other foreign ownership of ports, infrastructure etc just should not be allowed & its an embarrassment that any previous "governments" whether state or federal let it happen.

Weak weak weak economic planning & easy cop outs.

Those people who make/made these poor decisions should be held to account imo, stripped of their pensions & benefits.

Last edited:

discomatt

Na just sell it all off to pay for expenditure, Just like our mate Dan, nearly sent the state bankrupt so sells off a very large portion of Vic roads to cover his ass, lets not worry about personal information and price rises down the track

LongRoad2Go

Has anyone considered the pros & cons of installing PV solar on an investment property?

Two scenarios: keep it as an investment property, or, one day use it as the principle home. (The latter seems to have more tax incentives e.g. depreciation, etc.)

Kippie

We are planning to install a PV+battery system in our investment property. Two main reasons, firstly the tax advantage before it becomes our future primary residence and secondly it becomes more attractive to tenants. The capital gains of the property already covers the future investment.

Toyasaurus

That would depend on who gets the benefits, eg.
Do you collect the money for the fit or do you give the tenants?

Kippie is correct it would make it more attractive to them.

Albynsw

With the massive rental shortage why do you need to invest more money in the property to make the tenant paid outgoings cheaper?

Albynsw

I tell you what would be nice if some of these bloody caravaners left their generators at home and spend a couple of hundred bucks on a solar panel
Shits me to tears to be sitting in a beautiful campsite only to have to listen to sone dick head running his generator for 8 hours a day :mad:

LongRoad2Go

With the massive rental shortage why do you need to invest more money in the property to make the tenant paid outgoings cheaper?
May be wrong (that's why I listed it for discussion), but believe the landlord can choose to recoup the credits IF they pay the tenants electricity bill, which in turn would be recouped from the tenant similar to water charges. The goal is to get a tax break via depreciation on the asset, and, possibly make the house more preferable to other tenants if I need to go that way.

LongRoad2Go

I tell you what would be nice if some of these bloody caravaners left their generators at home and spend a couple of hundred bucks on a solar panel
Shits me to tears to be sitting in a beautiful campsite only to have to listen to sone dick head running his generator for 8 hours a day :mad:
What does Mary Poppins say: a spoonful of sugar ... ;)

boobook

Oh yeah, especially when they park up near you. Then brag about their appliances.

Albynsw

Property capital gains have gone crazy in the last 10 years. As landlords we've reaped those benefits. So why not share a bit with the tenants, after all it's their home.

No problem with that but you are doing it for different reasons to what is best financially for you

cam04

Property capital gains have gone crazy in the last 10 years. As landlords we've reaped those benefits. So why not share a bit with the tenants, after all it's their home.
Great attitude to take if you can afford it, but rents follow capital gains in any market - as do rates, "but they aren't tied to land valuations......". Meanwhile here in Brisbane we have a tenant asking for advice on our local community FB page after the grub of a landlord has hit the tenants with the excess water charges after the poor buggers hosed down the entire property, dried it out and made it livable after the last floods. Not to mention continued paying rent because there was simply nowhere else to go. Some people would truly benefit by a collective punch in the face from society.
Don't start me on gensets while camping. I strongly sympathise Alby.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I see my tenants in the same light as my business clients, both are a source of income and you look after good clients as best you can.

@Kippie has stated that eventually it will become a primary residence so will benefit from the investment in the long term given that most Solar systems have a life span of 20 years, (understand it will gradually lose performance over the term), in the meantime he is being smart by keeping the assumed good tenants, ones that pay on time and cause no damage, and rewarding them with lower costs.

@Albynsw , had a peaceful first night at the Bungle Bungles until a couple rocked up with their orange tent, started their generator and lit up the place with a 5,000,000 lumen omnidirectional light, yes I exaggerate slightly :), then next morning started the generator and pi55ed off for the day leaving it running, for their fridge presumably, with no one at camp.

There are far better ways to camp these days without the need to upset one & all with bloody noisy generators that cause environmental harm by way of emissions and noise pollution keeping any native animals away from the campsites.