Help ! Landcruiser intermittent power loss

victorP

Scratching my head ,till its bleeding over an issue with my 1984 petrol landcuiser, problem started a month ago ,would loose power but still keep ticking over at very low revs ,when I take the foot of the accelorator would die ,but start straight away. but still have no power. nrma towy said must be fuel issue ,had that checked out No problem with fuel , indications leading to electrical s ,so I changed the coils and condensor , worked ok for a few days then same problem, mate checked the distributor , was worn center pin wobbled a fraction indicating warn bearing, bought brand new one , worked ok for a few days then back to same problem took it local mechanic who thought the condensor was playing up so replaced that , went for a few hours then back to the same problem ..sudden loss of power , slight surging ,low revs foot of accellorator then stops , but starts instantly , an hour later starts and drives ok .

Chatty

Loss of power, surging, then stops - sounds like a fuel starvation issue. I am presuming you have ruled out obvious things like a faulty fuel pump.

Have you had a look at the fuel bowl and needle and seat on the carby? A sticky needle and/or blocked seat will lead to fuel starvation, which then resolves itself after being stopped for a while as the needle unsticks and allows fuel in again.
I have even seen ones (on other vehicles) where the float hinge has partially broken, allowing the float (when you hold your tongue wrong) to ride too high, closing the needle valve. Let it sit for a while and they decide to behave again.

Another one to look at is the valves in the fuel pump - if it's a mechanical pump then either the inlet our outlet valves could be sticky, reducing fuel flow. If it's an electric pump then the outlet (non return) valve is a possible culprit.

Towie

Good advice Chaty..... Also go with the KISS theory Is there a secondary fuel filter along the chassis?
Perhaps put in by a previous owner & never checked or replaced.

Are all the air lines sealed no leaks in the system.

victorP

Thanks for your suggestions , yes every one told me it sounds like a fuel problem , the carby and fuel lines pumps working as to spec , but because its so intermitant, and can work well for a while and then breakdown , but will go over all the things you suggest again. Also it does not have to sit to recover but starts immmediatly

billolga

I was given an old loan vehicle (Petrol) when I had my Engine changed a few months ago - Got about 50 kms & the loss of power happened & then away I went for a while. I limped back to the Mechanics & the fuel filter & tank was full of crap. The tank & lines were completely drained & it went fine, but I had to change the filter a couple of times before everything was clear.

victorP

Good advice Chaty..... Also go with the KISS theory Is there a secondary fuel filter along the chassis?
Perhaps put in by a previous owner & never checked or replaced.

Are all the air lines sealed no leaks in the system.
I have had this car since new so only one fuel filter , did have a cracked emf hose goinng into the inlet manifold when it started , thought bingo and replaced bha sto help but not the main problem

victorP

will go over all these suggestions , ah forgot to mention it does do a backfire throught the carby now and then when this happens

Chatty

Ah - backfiring.
That can also be too much fuel, which can give similar symptoms and again, faulty needle or a dud float will be the culprit. Check to see if your float is actually floating...

oldlux

Been there done that, it sounds like fuel starvation to me. If you could whip the top off the carby straight after it stops and check the fuel bowl for level. If there is fuel in there it indicates the pump, filter, lines and needle and seat are not the cause so check the main jet which is what I suspect, If no fuel in the float chamber start by checking fuel pump operation then lines for vacuum leaks even the tank vent system. It will be there somewhere?

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on ay?