help and advice needed

Grumpy

MUTLEY HEE HEE said:
HI Grumpy, i need some advice on a patrol.
I saw this one for sale its in adelaide.---$5300.00 GQ nissan patrol 4.2 petrol Duel fuel, Got all the tuff gear. 4 inch lift kit, RAW shocks,Snorkel, Ceramic clutch, Adjustable phanard rods, Landcruiser offset sunraiser rims, 33 inch mickey thompson tyres, Extended braided brake lines, UHF radio, Lightforce XGT spotlights, Rear draws, All the above gear is less than 8 month old. regetful sale moving interstate.----- do you have an e-mail and i can forward. or do you know someone i can talk to. Cheers Mutley. :):):)

Passed on by GRUMPY as I'm not up to speed with these cars and Mutley requires advice.

knot_gillty

I've got some advise for you Mark, don't do it!!! It's the dark side!!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

But it sounds ok. Gotta be careful though, sounds almost too cheap! Stolen?? Stuck on beach?? Be sure to check all those things out.

If you let the South Aussies know where it is maybe someone might be close enough to have a look for you.

BUSHNUT

There is an old saying ,

" If it is too good to be true generally it is "

Having said that , it may be on the up and up . One way to find out is to have it checked out by a 4X4 mechanic most good mechanics or oddly enough a 4X4 wreckers yard would have knowledge of who is on the up and up interstate mechanically wise ( I know the guy at Somerville 4X4 does a lot of business interstate for instance ) , vehicle vin number and such from the state registration branch re finance and all that stuff , just remember if it is petrol/gas generally you can count on redoing the head at every 260.000 KM's . Ask the mechanic if it would pass muster in the new state it is going to be registered RWC wise, In NSW for instance each vehicle is put on the shakers every year, effectively a RWC has to be made each year .

Grumpy

Mutlee one thing most car dealers base klms on is 20,000 per year so in saying that a 10 year old car should have about 2 hundred thousand kls on it.

tanks for the advice

Passed on by GRUMPY as I'm not up to speed with these cars and Mutley requires advice.

There is an old saying ,

" If it is too good to be true generally it is "

Having said that , it may be on the up and up . One way to find out is to have it checked out by a 4X4 mechanic most good mechanics or oddly enough a 4X4 wreckers yard would have knowledge of who is on the up and up interstate mechanically wise ( I know the guy at Somerville 4X4 does a lot of business interstate for instance ) , vehicle vin number and such from the state registration branch re finance and all that stuff , just remember if it is petrol/gas generally you can count on redoing the head at every 260.000 KM's . Ask the mechanic if it would pass muster in the new state it is going to be registered RWC wise, In NSW for instance each vehicle is put on the shakers every year, effectively a RWC has to be made each year .
:);)
wow. thanks everyone for such a quick response. They is a lot of very good advice out there

i have some more info on the patrol. it is a 1988 model, has 380,000k on the clock, a leaky pwr str pump, has been sitting around for a about 2 months.
i will make enquirys with vic roads etc. and will ring the guy at sommy 4x4 as well
cheers mark:)

knot_gillty

:);)
wow. thanks everyone for such a quick response. They is a lot of very good advice out there

i have some more info on the patrol. it is a 1988 model, has 380,000k on the clock, a leaky pwr str pump, has been sitting around for a about 2 months.
i will make enquirys with vic roads etc. and will ring the guy at sommy 4x4 as well
cheers mark:)

Are you sure you don't want to look for a Cruiser???

stets

it does sound a bit too good to be true mate, the gear alone would be worth more than that, are things done properly? were the suspension parts and other good gear bought new or second hand?

a couple of things to think about, if he has put a ceramic clutch in it, then he must have driven it pretty tough, cos the standard clutches are damn good to begin with, even the replacement aftermarket clutches are good.

another thing..... i cant think of any real knowledgable 4wder that would even bother stating the offset of the rims in an ad, there isnt much difference and most guys that go as hard as what this car seems to be indicating would automatically assume it had the wheels offset to fit the 33's anyway.

has it had castor correction plates put in, or bushes? does it have a RTC steering damper, cos at that hieght and those tyres it should, has it been lifted using drop boxes or is it a drop arm kit?

the list goes on as do the questions

My only other bit of advice Mutley is to look around, it's a buyers market.
:):)
Gilly Your not wrong, there are heaps of vehicles out there. What i have learnt so far is the amount of regulations that cover suspension mods. I spoke to Vic roads today and I was told I would need a engineers cert to get the vehicle registered. So I think I will stick to what I have got for now, until I get a better understanding of what is legal or not.Even tho the patrol apears to be good value.
Cheers mark looking forward to "O"toooles":):)