Helena and Aurora Ranges - Labour Day Long Weekend WA

Karl Fehlauer

Been a long time since I have posted on here so I thought I would share some images from a trip I did on the Labour Day long weekend just gone.

I had planned this trip for about 6 months and took 15 vehicles from my 4WD Club along for the ride and had a great weekend (and a few dramas as well :(:().

The Ranges are an excellent place to visit and there is some good 4WDing to be done and lots of exploring.

The first night (Sat) we stayed at the camp ground at the base of the Ranges (Bungalbin Hill) and this was a great spot. That afternoon we headed up the Ridge Track to watch the sunset from the top of the hill.

Sunday we headed off to Mount Jackson and had a look at the old homestead there and then made our way towards Baladjie Rock where we stayed the night.

Here are some images from the trip - I hope you like them and they inspire you to visit the area.

Karl

The view west at sunset on Sat night
2019-03-02 4WD - 030-Edit.jpg

A cave (in the centre) in the ridge line opposite our viewing point
2019-03-02 4WD - 038-Edit.jpg

The Milky Way
2019-03-02 4WD - 052-Edit.jpg

Marda Dam
2019-03-03 4WD - 061-Edit.jpg

A chimney
2019-03-03 4WD - 064-Edit.jpg

Mount Jackson Homestead
2019-03-03 4WD - 072-Edit.jpg

2019-03-03 4WD - 074-Edit.jpg

2019-03-03 4WD - 075-Edit.jpg

sharkcaver

Nice one karl. I've been thinking I need another H+A trip this year - its been awhile. Was there much traffic out there over the long weekend? The old homestead is slowly deteriorating. I was shocked at the amount of change last time I visited. You have gotta try a H+A sunrise.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks for that Karl.
Living on the other side of the world ( Victoria) I had never heard of the Helena and Aurora Ranges.
So many things in my life ,past, present and future, tells me that I will never visit this beautiful part of Australia.
So I just did a quick google ( sorry google search) and found the Helena and Aurora Range web site.
As the missus says, we are getting past long travels, however the great thing about today's technology is we can sit back and view such wonderful places on our screens. Here is a link for those that maybe like me, will never get there, however can enjoy the beauty "from a distance".
http://www.helenaaurorarange.com.au/.
Thanks again Karl.

Karl Fehlauer

Nice one karl. I've been thinking I need another H+A trip this year - its been awhile. Was there much traffic out there over the long weekend? The old homestead is slowly deteriorating. I was shocked at the amount of change last time I visited. You have gotta try a H+A sunrise.
Hi Shane,

Only saw four (or five) vehicles from the Landrover Club at Bungalbin and they camped a kilometre or so up the road - I thought it was gutsy of them taking Landrovers off road :p:p:p:p:p

Other than that we ran across JJ from JJ's Adventures on his dirt bike and one other vehicle - a trayback Landcruiser.

Overall a great weekend away.

Karl

Karl Fehlauer

Thanks for that Karl.
Living on the other side of the world ( Victoria) I had never heard of the Helena and Aurora Ranges.
So many things in my life ,past, present and future, tells me that I will never visit this beautiful part of Australia.
So I just did a quick google ( sorry google search) and found the Helena and Aurora Range web site.
As the missus says, we are getting past long travels, however the great thing about today's technology is we can sit back and view such wonderful places on our screens. Here is a link for those that maybe like me, will never get there, however can enjoy the beauty "from a distance".
http://www.helenaaurorarange.com.au/.
Thanks again Karl.
Glad you liked it - I am doing up a full trip report which I will post up later.

Karl

shanegtr

that's for posting, this joint has been on my radar for a while now. Maybe this year will be the year I can finally visit. Who knows yet as my life is still all over the place

Hi Karl, the ranges sound and look spectacular. Im new to 4x4 driving, and am wondering if you may know if it is possible to travel north to Menzies from the Aurora Ranges, as Im hoping to go with couple of other vehicles in a few weeks? I cant seem to find any good maps that show roads/tracks of that area. Many thanks, Chris

Yes you can. Head East on the main track from H+A, Over the Hunt ranges (dont blink) past Kurrajong Rock, Curara Soak. At Yowie rocks, there is a short minor track heading North to the Evanstone Menzies rd. It is a spectacular drive through the woodlands. personally, once on the Evanstone Rd, I'd go to Menzies Via lake Ballard. I'm so over due a trip out there.

at 7:10, shows you some of the country. Heading from Ballard towards H+A, We turned off at kurrajong Rock for other interesting places.

Yes you can. Head East on the main track from H+A, Over the Hunt ranges (dont blink) past Kurrajong Rock, Curara Soak. At Yowie rocks, there is a short minor track heading North to the Evanstone Menzies rd. It is a spectacular drive through the woodlands. personally, once on the Evanstone Rd, I'd go to Menzies Via lake Ballard. I'm so over due a trip out there.

at 7:10, shows you some of the country. Heading from Ballard towards H+A, We turned off at kurrajong Rock for other interesting places.

Hi Sharkcaver,

Thanks very much for your reply and the videos!! Great to see the country and the tracks!! You must have good maps to know which fork in the track to take!! Best regards, Chris

Hi Sharkcaver,

Thanks very much for your reply and the videos!! Great to see the country and the tracks!! You must have good maps to know which fork in the track to take!! Best regards, Chris
There are a couple of curly ones, (Kurrajiong rock for example) but on the whole, pretty easy to navigate.

The standard GA 250K toppo shows all you really need to know.

Please report back after your trip. I love that whole area. I'm so overdue a trip out there myself, but I have bigger fish to fry ATM.

I have attached some directions for ya with arrows for the tracks you need to take. Pic 1 - into H+A from Mt Jackson to the Hunt Range. Pic 2 from Hunt range to Evanston Menzies road. That will take you to Mulline. From there you head North for ballard. I'm sure you can work it out from that point, they are gazetted roads there after all.

h+a 1.jpg

h+a 2.jpg