Headlight H4(60/55w) Light bulb replacements - what's the go?

rob_macca67

re: H4 Light bulb(60/55w) replacements -

Went looking for replacement bulbs for the daughters Zook and was blown away firstly at the price and then with some of the claims. $55/pr for H4 bulbs was the cheapest but it's the claims of 50% or even 150% light improvement over standard H4 Bulb that confuses me... How can u produce an increase of 150% in light over the std H4 Halogen bulb when all these bulbs are Halogen as well are exactly the SAME wattage (60/55w)??

What's peoples experiences with these types of bulbs? Am I better just paying the $55 for the basic or pay and extra $40+ for these so-called bulbs that produce an extra 50-150% increase in light??

thoughts/comments??

Rusty Panels

Many of the makers claim 150% brighter globes. I've tried most in an effort to improve the lights in my wife's little Veloster but in all honesty couldn't pick much difference. I ended up putting an LED kit in it which is better but, as I have argued before it's the smaller reflectors and design of the lights that is the problem.

As for the price of H4's it pays to shop around. If you have a look on "Evilbay", you'll probably pick up a pair of Osram or Philips H4's for about $20 delivered. You will pick up a bulk pack of H4 no names for similar.

My personal view of the supposed high performance halogen globes is that you won't see a great difference between them and the standard. If anything they probably won't last as long because in order for them to make them burn brighter they use thinner wire for the filament. The problem with that is that as the wire is in a near molten state the vibrations on the road cause them to break easier.

dno67

Had a blown one changed in the mrs dunnydore by a mechanic (convenience while ahe was at work) lasted less than a week, went and got a cheapo at supercheap around the $14 mark and 12months later still going.
There just seems a lot of hype and up selling of crap for ridiculous prices. IMO.

rob_macca67

Had a blown one changed in the mrs dunnydore by a mechanic (convenience while ahe was at work) lasted less than a week, went and got a cheapo at supercheap around the $14 mark and 12months later still going.
There just seems a lot of hype and up selling of crap for ridiculous prices. IMO.

Yeah, went to supercheap 1st and was shocked at their prices, so I'll check Repco as they also offer a bit a discount for those with road side membership

Batts88

As you would have seen with the brighter globes they are blue in colour and give a whiter light I put Narva arctic white 50% in my daughters car they made a noticable difference. You can go brighter but I don't see the sense unless you drive a reasonable amount at night and some of the100% plus only seem to last a couple of years.

dno67

Yeah, went to supercheap 1st and was shocked at their prices, so I'll check Repco as they also offer a bit a discount for those with road side membership
Did you check there globes online ? As there range varies in price a lot. The one the mechanic replaced was supposedly one of a pair of expensive globes that he had already used one to fix someone else's. So l figured if there was a voltage problem or similar causing ours to blow, l wasn't putting another expensive one in.

Albynsw

The high performance ones from Phillips and Osram are brighter and a whiter light but they don’t last as long as standard lamps
I still prefer them as standard ones are too yellow when using Led spots

rob_macca67

Did you check there globes online ? As there range varies in price a lot. The one the mechanic replaced was supposedly one of a pair of expensive globes that he had already used one to fix someone else's. So l figured if there was a voltage problem or similar causing purs to blow, l wasn't putting another expensive one in.

Looking online now and will do a bit more research I think ;)

Triton14

re: H4 Light bulb(60/55w) replacements -

Went looking for replacement bulbs for the daughters Zook and was blown away firstly at the price and then with some of the claims. $55/pr for H4 bulbs was the cheapest but it's the claims of 50% or even 150% light improvement over standard H4 Bulb that confuses me... How can u produce an increase of 150% in light over the std H4 Halogen bulb when all these bulbs are Halogen as well are exactly the SAME wattage (60/55w)??

What's peoples experiences with these types of bulbs? Am I better just paying the $55 for the basic or pay and extra $40+ for these so-called bulbs that produce an extra 50-150% increase in light??

thoughts/comments??
So is this the low or high beam globe or is it a combination globe??

Maybe itsjust me but personally I hate it when people try to increase the brightness of there headlights, they do not think about the person thats coming in the othere direction!
Imo if you find the need for a brighter light then put a spotlight or set of driving lights on the car that are controlled via the highbeam wiring.

If I am driving at night & get some crazy bright light coming from some car coming towards me I then give them 2x100w halogens, 2x55w HID's & 1x450w Led which burns the back of their retna's.

Just use the same wattage globe but change the colour temperature to a 4500/5000k or 6000k tops globe.

xenon-hid-color-temerature-chart-table.png

Last edited:

Lost1?

Try powerbulbs.. They are a online seller with a range Of brands at fair prices. STEDI have a led h4 conversion available. Not cheap, but less suceptable to vibrations than halogen.

I have run 4300 Kelvin h4 halogen globes for a while. But replacing them every 18 months is wearing thin. Especially the rhf light. Pulling apart the snorkel and removing the overflow bottle makes it a 15-20 minute job.

Bru9

You will find most halogen headlight lowbeams are capped at 55watts or roughly 1500lumens. Those xtra white or LEDs are only marginal better. Can't go much more as the on coming traffic, most halogen headlamps are garbage design, that is why quality headlights use projectors, only way to give a proper output without blinding. The 150% thing is mostly marketing, if you wan't real lumen increase you have to go higher wattage.

G_ute

All LED bulbs in lights which had halogen bulbs are not ADR compliant. I have heard of people being pulled over an booked for this but that would be very rare. Annoying other road users is getting more common though, either becuase the LED's are too bright, too glary or not aimed correctly (beam pattern) I believe some LED bulbs are better now, but still not compliant.
I spoke to Stedi recently and apparently they about to bring out a new 7" LED headlight (whole thing, not a bulb) which is ADR compliant and has a more 'subtle/classic' look than the usual 'spiders eyes' which I dont like IMHO.

boobook

Hey G_ute. A friend has a 2018 G-wagon professional. It has candles for headlights. He went back to Mercedes who said the bulbs are part of the assembly and the whole headlight reflector has to be swapped out to change the bulb as the filament is part of the reflector.

Do you know if that is right? It sounds strange to me. He would be happy with something a bight brighter and ADR compliant, no MCG lights or disco cats eyes.

G_ute

My old Hella factory lights had separate bulbs and also my friends late model W461 (Professional). Not sure about a 2018 though, some of which ran Xenon projectors (which should be more than adequate)
If he wants better lights I would suggest a LED replacements (the whole assembly) or get a Hella halogen which does support H4 bulbs.
There have been a number of people who have done that on later G's including lights from JW Speaker and Nolden (aka Narva)
Checkout the AGOA forum or clubgwagen.com
There may be some wiring complexities with canbus G's.

One good thing using a 7" light, there is lots of choice as these are used by Jeeps, older Patrols and cruisers, Harley's, etc, etc...

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

Just sounds like a normal seal beam - nothing unusual there
Yeah! they did make sealed beam quartz halogens. I had them on a Hilux. The advantage with them is they are completely dust and waterproof. Negative side is if they blow it's the whole unit to you have to replace.

boobook

My old Hella factory lights had separate bulbs and also my friends late model W461 (Professional). Not sure about a 2018 though, some of which ran Xenon projectors (which should be more than adequate)
If he wants better lights I would suggest a LED replacements (the whole assembly) or get a Hella halogen which does support H4 bulbs.
There have been a number of people who have done that on later G's including lights from JW Speaker and Nolden (aka Narva)
Checkout the AGOA forum or clubgwagen.com
There may be some wiring complexities with canbus G's.

One good thing using a 7" light, there is lots of choice as these are used by Jeeps, older Patrols and cruisers, Harley's, etc, etc...

Thanks, They definitely aren't Xenon. I honestly think they are separate like your mate's. I think the Mercedes service department was the wrong people to ask, especially if the answer is some aftermarket option.

Cheers G_ute