Have you taken the outlander off-road

AusTraveller439

G'Day,

I'm looking for opinions from past/present mitsubishi outlander owners. I recently sold my Triton after sending it hard up the east caoast and through the red centre. Now I'm looking to get a small 4by to head off camping with in the region. The most I would need it to do is some techy/rocky/steep fire trails, maybe some mud depending on the weather and possibly sand but unlikely being in NSW :(
There isn't much info I can find on the outlander but I know only some of them have locking diffs.
If you have been an owner of one, could you please tell me how it is off road, is it capable of what I need it to do? If you know of any, what are some common problems are perhaps just issues with it in general? Also, how do they go over time, how many kms on an outlander is too many since this is something which differs between makes and models?
Thanks in advance :)

megamung

as long as you are reasonable in your expectations. I have travelled a lot of back country in Foresters having had 2 of them over the years and they went most places and were a ton of fun. A few years ago I was driving an Outlander (rental) and took a short cut about 30k south of Inverell. It quickly turned very gnarly with washouts and a shallow water crossing with ruts left in the mud from larger rigs. with care I got it through unscathed but the whole time trying to think of what I was going to say to the rental mob if I got stuck or ripped a bumper off. Most AWD SUV's will go through the rough stuff if pushed but it is not a confidence inspiring activity.

IMG_5835.jpg

AusTraveller439

as long as you are reasonable in your expectations. I have travelled a lot of back country in Foresters having had 2 of them over the years and they went most places and were a ton of fun. A few years ago I was driving an Outlander (rental) and took a short cut about 30k south of Inverell. It quickly turned very gnarly with washouts and a shallow water crossing with ruts left in the mud from larger rigs. with care I got it through unscathed but the whole time trying to think of what I was going to say to the rental mob if I got stuck or ripped a bumper off. Most AWD SUV's will go through the rough stuff if pushed but it is not a confidence inspiring activity.

View attachment 72312
hey mega,

yeah since I posted this i have done a fair bit of research and settled on going with a fozzie. I expect the places i want to go will only require the capabilities of the most capable soft roader anyway :)

Adam

linuxfan66

G'Day,

I'm looking for opinions from past/present mitsubishi outlander owners. I recently sold my Triton after sending it hard up the east caoast and through the red centre. Now I'm looking to get a small 4by to head off camping with in the region. The most I would need it to do is some techy/rocky/steep fire trails, maybe some mud depending on the weather and possibly sand but unlikely being in NSW :(
There isn't much info I can find on the outlander but I know only some of them have locking diffs.
If you have been an owner of one, could you please tell me how it is off road, is it capable of what I need it to do? If you know of any, what are some common problems are perhaps just issues with it in general? Also, how do they go over time, how many kms on an outlander is too many since this is something which differs between makes and models?
im a little curious why you sold the trition

AusTraveller439

im a little curious why you sold the trition
i bought it fresh out of highschool so i could travel around aus. Spent 2020 doing that and then when I got back to the city I didn't need/want such a big car and I did need the money. Also i bought the car with my travel buddy and he also wanted the money from selling it. Such a big car is just no use in the city

AusTraveller439

P9050489.JPG
P9050512.JPG
P9070570.JPG

And it was a bloody good rig too. Here's a few piccies from the old tele track in september last year. Fully loaded weighed about 3T with all our travel gear. When we bought it it had 31" mickey tompsons which the mechanic said "have about 10,000km left on them... 20,000km later they were still going good and took us all the way to the tip. WE only replaced them in adelaide after another 20,000. She had full bar-work and all the lights you'd need. Just too bad one of the previous owners did some dumb ass engine mods and out a sports exhaust on

RIP my baby

jacnden

G'Day,

Interesting YouTube clip of suv,s including the outlander. Not quite what your triton could do. Also they didn’t rate the Subaru highly