Has anyone fitted an oil catch can to the 2017 Isuzu Dmax

If anyone has fitted an Oil Catch Can to the new 2017 Dmax, what brand did you use, where did you position it and include photos if possible.

Vince

Tink

Maybe they are right? The way I understand the benefits of a catch can is to reduce the amount of oil blowby entering the intake manifold where it is mixed with cabon particles from the EGR system forming a sticky sludge. Now this has to be a good thing, right? I have seen photos of intake manifolds looking partially clogged after only 80K kms.
Tink

shaun0

Ive used them before but only high performance turbo cars and last one was supercharged V8. They are really good for that with high boost levels not really necessary with standard boost but you do still get some oil going into the intake so it doesn't hurt having one.

IvanTheTerrible

Maybe they are right? The way I understand the benefits of a catch can is to reduce the amount of oil blowby entering the intake manifold where it is mixed with cabon particles from the EGR system forming a sticky sludge. Now this has to be a good thing, right? I have seen photos of intake manifolds looking partially clogged after only 80K kms.
Tink
Have you actually seen this yourself? I have. On a vehicle with close to 200,000 on it. Unless there is a serious problem with the engine there should not be blow by and thus bugger all oil in the intercooler or inlet. I had my intercooler off a few weeks ago and took the opportunity to check for oil and found bugger all. When my engine gets older and I expect to start having an issue I'll fit a catch can but not till it's needed.

phs

All motors have blow by, Turbo charged motors have more than N/a motors.

Take your breather hose off Ivan and pop your pinky finger in the end, if there is no oil I'd be concerned.

My vehicles have had catchcans they have all caught oil

Generally get about 50-100ml between services

Our new Prado has just clocked over 18k
Due for its 10k service at 22k I will measure the oil and report back

Jackolux

I have a HDP Catch Can on my Dmax it has a Dipstick , I have done about 25k since it was last emptied ,
I checked it this morning it's got a fair bit of oil in it .
A Catch Can is a good idea ,

Jackolux

I just dipped my Catch Can there is at least 30mm showing on the stick , I will measure how much oil that is when I get around to emptying it , my Ute has done 74k , oil has been changed every 10k .

Have you actually seen this yourself? I have. On a vehicle with close to 200,000 on it. Unless there is a serious problem with the engine there should not be blow by and thus bugger all oil in the intercooler or inlet. I had my intercooler off a few weeks ago and took the opportunity to check for oil and found bugger all. When my engine gets older and I expect to start having an issue I'll fit a catch can but not till it's needed.

Attachments