Change background image

Has anyone fitted an oil catch can to the 2017 Isuzu Dmax

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by vindor, May 23, 2017.

1. vindor

vindor New Member

If anyone has fitted an Oil Catch Can to the new 2017 Dmax, what brand did you use, where did you position it and include photos if possible.

Vince

2. IvanTheTerrible

IvanTheTerrible Well-Known Member

Not going to fit one till mine gets a few years under it's belt.

3. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Why mate? I thought the sooner the better?
    Tink

komaterpillar likes this.
  4. IvanTheTerrible

If you believe the suppliers of the catch cans

5. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Maybe they are right? The way I understand the benefits of a catch can is to reduce the amount of oil blowby entering the intake manifold where it is mixed with cabon particles from the EGR system forming a sticky sludge. Now this has to be a good thing, right? I have seen photos of intake manifolds looking partially clogged after only 80K kms.
    Tink

6. shaun0

shaun0 Active Member

Ive used them before but only high performance turbo cars and last one was supercharged V8. They are really good for that with high boost levels not really necessary with standard boost but you do still get some oil going into the intake so it doesn't hurt having one.

7. IvanTheTerrible

Have you actually seen this yourself? I have. On a vehicle with close to 200,000 on it. Unless there is a serious problem with the engine there should not be blow by and thus bugger all oil in the intercooler or inlet. I had my intercooler off a few weeks ago and took the opportunity to check for oil and found bugger all. When my engine gets older and I expect to start having an issue I'll fit a catch can but not till it's needed.

8. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

A new 200 series with only 400km on the clock.
    Tink

9. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

10. IvanTheTerrible

Take your oil cap off while it's running and see if it does this.

11. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

So you don't think a catch can will catch any oil ?

12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

All motors have blow by, Turbo charged motors have more than N/a motors.

Take your breather hose off Ivan and pop your pinky finger in the end, if there is no oil I'd be concerned.

My vehicles have had catchcans they have all caught oil

Generally get about 50-100ml between services

Our new Prado has just clocked over 18k
    Due for its 10k service at 22k I will measure the oil and report back

Jaye and akin like this.
  13. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

I have a HDP Catch Can on my Dmax it has a Dipstick , I have done about 25k since it was last emptied ,
    I checked it this morning it's got a fair bit of oil in it .
    A Catch Can is a good idea ,

phs likes this.
  14. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

I just dipped my Catch Can there is at least 30mm showing on the stick , I will measure how much oil that is when I get around to emptying it , my Ute has done 74k , oil has been changed every 10k .

15. Harebare

Harebare New Member

Hi mate I just fitted one today, although I had to modify the brackets with a die grinder and cut hoses.

Attached Files:

16. Harebare

Harebare New Member

Attached Files:

17. Harebare

Harebare New Member

That engine has only done 10000 km and it was soaking wet in there. I’ve seen inlet manifolds blocked at 45000 km , it’s worth a shot.

18. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

@Harebare mate, there are a lot of rub points on those catch can hoses. Keep an eye on them.
    Tink

19. Sean Logue

Sean Logue Active Member

I was up Vic High Country for a week exploring and that's how much oil I had in my catch can. Was empty before I left, I always check it.
    [​IMG]IMG_5440 by Sean Logue, on Flickr

20. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

why?

Ive got bugger all in my catch can and my oil after 3k from my last service is still clean with only a slight tinge of black on the dipstick on the dip stick