Has anyone else had trouble getting tyres ?

Bomber2012

I’m currently looking at new tyres for the Hilux , I’m after some Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/16 and have been told Nitto don’t have any available and haven’t had any stock for the past 12 months due to delays from Covid .
I would prefer the Nitto’s as I already have a brand new spare and could use one of the old tyres as a spare so I would only need to buy 3 new tyres .
My local tyre bloke told me it’s not just the Nitto’s his having trouble getting , apparently there is a massive tyre shortage in Australia.
Have any of you blokes found the same answers when looking for tyres?

hulsty

No trouble getting them, just average 12-14 week wait. My Nittos were around 14 weeks, ordered some Yokohamas, 12 weeks.

slivertoy

Try Nova tyres, no affiliation< ;) Sth Gippy hwy Dandenong sth,
they had plenty of stock and are one of the largest volume sellers of Nitto, i got my Mud Grapplers from them

Albynsw

I have just switched to Ridge Grapplers from my previous two sets of Trail Grapplers to try a little less aggressive tyre.
Had to wait 6 weeks for them

Bomber2012

Try Nova tyres, no affiliation< ;) Sth Gippy hwy Dandenong sth,
they had plenty of stock and are one of the largest volume sellers of Nitto, i got my Mud Grapplers from them

Yeah I got my current set from them , had a slight problem with them this time though , on their website they quote $313 a corner but when I rang they quoted $360 a corner .
I asked them why the difference and they gave me a cock and bull story about GST and freight (even though they have them in stock) I think they are dodgy pricks and just price gouging .

Bomber2012

Tried widetread and a few other mobs today with no joy , may have to bite my tongue and go with Nova .

smitty_r51

Mate had the same issues with BFG's got the last 4 local to us by grabbing them from 3 shops

Next shipment was unknown as they couldn't get a confirmed date for shipping in

boobook

Strange you say that. I am looking at some new 18's for my BFG AT tyres. They are around $470 and a quote of 3 weeks. The thing that gets me is the less rubber you are buying the more it costs. I haven't seen that price for 10 years.

LurchWA

Got quoted 460 a corner for Toyo AT2 285/70/17 the other day and thought I was being conned but looks to be the norm these days and supply wasn't an issue.
Looks like I will be be getting 3 and using my near new spare as I dont feel nearly as hard done by now
I had previously paid about 340 a corner in 2018 for reference
For those that dont know Nitto are owned by Toyo as a few other brands

Lost1?

Lead time for tyres right now is probably a mixture of COVID and a dispute on the water front about termination payments for stevedores when they automate the cranes used on the wharf. Like Matt I am a fan of the mob in Ferntree Gully. Always seem to be competitively priced and will get different tyre brands in if they don't usually stock them.

Bomber on another note, how have the Nitto's worn? I thought about them when I got my last set in that size. Our utes would be similar weights so it will give me a good comparison for next time.

Bomber2012

Lead time for tyres right now is probably a mixture of COVID and a dispute on the water front about termination payments for stevedores when they automate the cranes used on the wharf. Like Matt I am a fan of the mob in Ferntree Gully. Always seem to be competitively priced and will get different tyre brands in if they don't usually stock them.

Bomber on another note, how have the Nitto's worn? I thought about them when I got my last set in that size. Our utes would be similar weights so it will give me a good comparison for next time.

I’ve been happy with the Nitto’s , they have worn as well as I could’ve expected . I don’t know exactly how many kilometres I’ve done on them but around 70k would be close . What I do like about them is how good they are off road , with most of my off road driving in the HC they feel secure in steep country and just as good in muddy/slippery conditions. I’ve never had issues on the bitumen with grip in the wet , they are a little noisey but that is to be expected with an MT tyre but saying that the noise never bothered me .
I rate them highly for off-road duties and value for money , hence I will be getting another set .

Aza013

Just changed out my BFG KO2’s after 112000ks still had 40% on then. Even the shop was amazed about how long they lasted.
new set BFG’s ordered and delivered same day , no problems at all.
265/70/R17’s @ $360 each.

Noel Preston

I tried just before Easter, couldn't get a full set of anything in 16, 17 or 18 inch. Then I was put onto a shop and they had in stock Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 275/65x18 which was exactly what I wanted. That was Ace tyres in Tingalpa, Brisbane. While I was waiting a bloke in a Pajero arrived from the Gold Coast unable to get tyres anywhere else. It seems the shortage is all over the country.

Chatty

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble getting new Coopers for the Sierra mid last year.
I did a lot of checking and looked at alternate sizes and I found that there were stocks of less "popular" sizes - with a slight change to width and profile I was able to find plenty of stock for a tyre that fitted. With the bonus that it actually corrected my speedo back to less than 0.5% error!

So, I would suggest you either check around online your talk to your local knowledgeable tyre bloke about using a different profile.