Hardshell rooftop tents - alternatives to $4k +

G_ute

I almost wish we had a ground tent, just for when we go for an explore during the day and have to pack up the whole bloody camp.
Yeah, that is a problem. But if you keep it to the RTT and side awning not so bad. We had a annex for the canvas RTT and never used it, just because of that problem. I reckon most people dont use them either, unless you are staying put for many days (where is the fun in that)

Rhett HS

The zip on my RTT started giving me the turkeys, then after too much dust it gave up. Best thing to happen. Turns out i dont need the zip, although i do take the zip halfway along the first run. Somehow it doesnt get any meaningful dust past the canvas lid.

I still wouldnt mind a hardtop. I notice "Wicked" hire cars have them. I reckon you want a foldover design so its big enough, the ones that just go up seem too small.

Have had two different canvas RTT's. Ran out of patience up and down for pack up when moving every day. Now have the Bush Company , made in South Africa ($3700). I wanted rear entry and no electrics or scissor lifts to fail outback. If the gas struts do fail, I can still open manually and prop open with a pole. Because it is a clamshell, you can face the car into a gale and the wind will slide over the top. This was tested west coast of Tassie, roaring forty's! Very happy to recommend.

Tink

Have had two different canvas RTT's. Ran out of patience up and down for pack up when moving every day. Now have the Bush Company , made in South Africa ($3700). I wanted rear entry and no electrics or scissor lifts to fail outback. If the gas struts do fail, I can still open manually and prop open with a pole. Because it is a clamshell, you can face the car into a gale and the wind will slide over the top. This was tested west coast of Tassie, roaring forty's! Very happy to recommend.
Welcome to Earth. And thanks for the affirmation about the wind being an issue. Exactly why I am looking at a clam shell myself. Will check out the Bush Company but leaning towards the Drifta at the mo.
Tink