Hardshell RoofTop Tent

matthewperk

Hey SlownEasy,

I've been going through the same debate for over a year now!

I've taken a look at a whole heap of these hard shell rooftop tents and other than the Maggiolina and James Barouds, I've decided the build quality just isn't up to scratch.

On the cheaper ones I looked at, the material wasn't particularly waterproof, the seals when they were closed were non-existant (meaning the canvas was the only thing providing any dustproofing) and the locks/straps that hold them closed were cheap and flimsy.

I'd also suggest sticking away from the worm drive units if possible and looking at the gas strut self-rising ones (all james baroud ones are this style and the Maggiolina AirTops are as well).

I did a lot of research into these and found you could drop ship one from alibaba for just under $1000.

The occasional James Baroud pops up second hand (on gumtree) around the country for $2500-3000 - personally that's what I'll continue to look out for, but I also keep an eye on the Maggiolinas.

In the mean time I've got a brand new standard canvas, fold out rooftop tent I picked up cheap due to some now fixed damage. And that'll keep me going until I find the rooftop tent I want.

But as said, take a look at the models before you buy online! And I highly suggest the gas strut ones as they are much faster to setup!

Cheers,

Matt

ULost2

I cannot believe the price of the better ones I looked a few weeks ago
best thing about them against a standard roof top tent is the lack of wind drag which has to be fairly substantial

Albynsw

I cannot believe the price of the better ones I looked a few weeks ago
best thing about them against a standard roof top tent is the lack of wind drag which has to be fairly substantial

The difference in price will pay for a lot of fuel hahahaha

I agree with Matt's post and did the same, I went and checked out a few Ebay ones and quality was only fair but may suit you still for the money saved. The big issue I had was that they are a bit short and was touching the canvas with my feet.
I have had the ARB style one for about 4 years and the wife prefers that I just keep that as there is much more room and better ventilation. I wanted to change to hard shell as it is quicker to pack up and a bit more slimline. Have decided to keep my tent and I had a lower canopy made to suit it better.

I am a bit puzzled why no one has made something in between the cheap ebay ones and the James Baroud price point type ones, would have thought there was a good market for one with a decent margin in it as well.
Could still source the fibreglass shell and even get the canvas work done in China and then assemble them here. Market them around the $2,500 pricepoint and I think you would go ok.

ULost2

I have seen a photo of one or maybe seen it on TV mounted on a trailer; I thought it was a good idea for one bloke until I saw the price

muc the truck

I've pretty much made up my mind that a hardshell rooftopy is the go but I'm torn about witch one to buy.

https://www.madcamp.com/Large-Wide-Roof-Top-Tent-Camper-p/mcrttl.htm
Or
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Hard shell roof top tent car top pop up outdoor 4wd rooftop camper 2 person&_itemId=131533178875

Anyone had any experience with these? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have had one like this for 12 months . its paid for it self already with a 10,000km journey . http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hard-she...51?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2352c9bcd7

well worth the money .

The funniest thing I have seen is some back packers have one fitted to the roof of there station wagon directly to the roof with a few tubes of silicon . no bolts . They made the wind up handle longer .

matthewperk

Just picked myself up a deal on a used James Baroud. Anyone want to buy my used once Ironman 4x4 roof top tent? Chasing $840
I'm just about to throw it up in the for sale section.

matthewperk

Got my first use of the roof top tent last night. Dropped down the coast to do some photos, ended up crashing out in the tent. 4am setup of the tent. I can tell you I was glad it only took 30 secs to setup. And i was warm and comfortable!

No regrets! They are a great unit.
11008781_10153451991244579_2624495805341293917_n.jpg

jack48

Hard shell RTT are quick and easy when touring. We have had one for 3 years now and love it. A bit squeesy for 2 but off the ground and out of the wind. Easy set up. we have done lots of trips, The Cape, CSR, High Country and lots more weekend trips.
It is great watching and waiting for guys with tents or camper trailers.
But then again, in good weather there is nothing like a swag, a bit slower though.

nananut

Has anyone set up a hard shell roof top tent on the cab of a dual cab itself? I have a feeling it's going to be too long for the cab. I'm saving the platform on the canopy for the 2m Oztent and other loads. I'm also mindful of the extra weight on and in the canopy (lots of stuff in the canopy). Since I have only myself in the cab most times, I'm thinking the best place for the roof top tent is on top of the cab. Needs to be permanently mounted as I don't have the space to store the RTT and sharing the carport with my neighbours.

muc the truck

Has anyone set up a hard shell roof top tent on the cab of a dual cab itself? I have a feeling it's going to be too long for the cab. I'm saving the platform on the canopy for the 2m Oztent and other loads. I'm also mindful of the extra weight on and in the canopy (lots of stuff in the canopy). Since I have only myself in the cab most times, I'm thinking the best place for the roof top tent is on top of the cab. Needs to be permanently mounted as I don't have the space to store the RTT and sharing the carport with my neighbours.
wicked campers ( founder of those horrid slow smoky bongo vans covered in graffiti) are sticking hard top campers on corolla and swift hatch. so surely it will fit on a crew cab. I have mine on a camper pod and the roof top camper is too long for that so its mounted so it hangs forward over the cab. On the Suzuki swift they sit forward over the bonnet a bit . they dont seem to slow em down . at least they do the bloody speed limit . to me there is no reason why you cant over hang over your windscreen a little as the air does not catch on them. Minimum roof rail spacing for my roof top camper was 900mm so if you can space your roof rails at least that then YES

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ea/02/ab/ea02ab241f9c60041ba5fb98bffda5e9.jpg

Last edited:

nananut

wicked campers ( founder of those horrid slow smoky bongo vans covered in graffiti) are sticking hard top campers on corolla and swift hatch. so surely it will fit on a crew cab. I have mine on a camper pod and the roof top camper is too long for that so its mounted so it hangs forward over the cab. On the Suzuki swift they sit forward over the bonnet a bit . they dont seem to slow em down . at least they do the bloody speed limit . to me there is no reason why you cant over hang over your windscreen a little as the air does not catch on them. Minimum roof rail spacing for my roof top camper was 900mm so if you can space your roof rails at least that then YES

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ea/02/ab/ea02ab241f9c60041ba5fb98bffda5e9.jpg
Thanks for that muc. Will measure the cab tomorrow and do more research. My other choice was Mycube if hard tops don't fit. Cheers

rob_macca67

Gents.... How do people find these when its raining ??? Is it noisy and getting in/out when it's raining, how quick can u do it w/o getting too wet?

rob_macca67

That's looks pretty Good.... Quick to setup/take down? How much (if any) water gets through in heavy rain.... especially across the top section??