Hard to make up my mind

Brisey

I'm in two minds at the moment as to which way to go, I am tossing up between a 7 inch navman style GPS that has Windows mobile operating system & can be set up to run oziexplorer CE or an 8 or 9 inch netbook PC such as the EEE PC.

Price isn't the problem rather than functionality, with the GPS running oziCE I would still need to do trip planning on the laptop or desktop at home but there are a lot of good features such as trip odometers & trip calculators but with the netbook I would have the full PC version of Ozi for trip planning on the trail.

Decisions....decisions anyone care to comment?

kiwijaz

the only advice i would have is dont buy a Tom Tom!!! If cost is no option why not look into a Hema GPS

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The Hema GPS is good, seen a demo of it. You would need to write down the thing you want in a GPS unit and look around from there. Having a all in one unit is great but in practice it doesn't fully exist.

Brisey

I have thought about the Hema but screen size is small that's why the 7 inch units are appealing. Good Guys have sent me a super duper spacial offer for this Thursday so I will be making up my mind very soon.

Cheers

Bri

Patriot

Administrator
I would go the netbook. Most functionality. Acer is about to bring out a model with bluetooth, so you can use a bluetooth GPS. They seem pretty good, although robustness may be an issue.

James

Brisey

I would go the netbook. Most functionality. Acer is about to bring out a model with bluetooth, so you can use a bluetooth GPS. They seem pretty good, although robustness may be an issue.

James

That is the way I'm swaying at the moment, I have an old laptop now that has been bouncing over rocks with me on & off for the last 4 years & is starting to have heat related issues now so it is coming up for renewal. It has a 12 inch screen which I like but is too big for a little jeep. I also have a PDA which is a great size to fit in the jeep but the screen is too small.

Toshiba also make one with bluetooth.

Cheers

Bri

Brisey

I got the netbook tonight got a pretty good deal I think it's a Toshiba NB100 with an 8.5 inch screen 120 gig HDD & bluetooth. I saw them at Dick Smiths a few weeks ago at $697 & got it from Good Guys tonight for $589. Now to load Ozi & the maps.

Cheers

Bri

Pure Yobbo

I got the netbook tonight got a pretty good deal I think it's a Toshiba NB100 with an 8.5 inch screen 120 gig HDD & bluetooth. I saw them at Dick Smiths a few weeks ago at $697 & got it from Good Guys tonight for $589. Now to load Ozi & the maps.

Cheers

Bri

How did you get on mate? Did you get Ozi working?

Brisey

Hi Yobbo,
the netbook will work out really good nice & small & the screen is a good size for my failing eysight & quite light too. Initially I had a few issues getting the bluetooth GPS working but once I worked out the transmission range is not very far for the GPS it is all working well. I set up the bluetooth GPS & a USB GPS as well so if the batteries run flat in the bluetooth & can quickly change over to the USB. All I have to do now is make up my mind where to mount it & make up the brackets. Once I do I will post up some pics.

Cheers

Bri