Handheld UHF recomendation?

You need to have a licence to transmit on the VHF frequencies, and any other that requires such a licence. But if all you use are the 80 AUS UHF channels to transmit on, there shouldn't be a problem.

No doubt some radio nerd will be along shortly to provide a link to the associated legislation if I am incorrect.

Good idea. I didn't actually know what you meant until I found the manual online and saw you can lock all the buttons....so you need to know how to unlock them!
Not just that you can accidentally change settings which makes one handheld basically useless,you recieve no transmission(,CTCSS etc) I did that out at Noojee State Forest with my Icoms years ago..Couldn't use one handheld until I come back home and looked at the manual.....

You need to have a licence to transmit on the VHF frequencies, and any other that requires such a licence. But if all you use are the 80 AUS UHF channels to transmit on, there shouldn't be a problem.

No doubt some radio nerd will be along shortly to provide a link to the associated legislation if I am incorrect.
It's not just a legislation issue, the trouble is they are usually not pre-programmed and so can be programmed with illegal setups, so users must make sure they are setup correctly - the fines are large, should you be caught. The other issue is they are stupidly easy to fire up in frequency mode (as opposed to band mode). Summary is, these units do not protect you from doing the wrong, but an approved UHF CB does.

Does that make me a radio nerd?

It's not just a legislation issue, the trouble is they are usually not pre-programmed and so can be programmed with illegal setups, so users must make sure they are setup correctly - the fines are large, should you be caught. The other issue is they are stupidly easy to fire up in frequency mode (as opposed to band mode). Summary is, these units do not protect you from doing the wrong, but an approved UHF CB does.

Does that make me a radio nerd?
Not by my standards Gidgee! I don't have anyone who could re-programme one for me, and I know almost zero about radios of any type.

I'm going to get the 5W GME tradies kit anyway.

greysrigging

I also read great reviews - but apparently they are illegal in Aus as they breach the frequency code or something?

See here - https://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Spe...h-risk-devices/beware-the-dodgy-two-way-radio
Be careful with the Chinese ones bought on e - bay. Many exceed the allowable wattage and can be programmed with lots of other frequencies outside the CB UHF bands. ( which nowadays with pirated computer programs available is relatively easy to do. )

greysrigging

My son tells me every man and his dog in the local Radio community runs the Chinese ones for the reasons listed above..... 8 to 10 watts and out of spectrum programable.... get caught one day I reckon....

Petunia

but then again the person on the other end has to be able to get back to you as well so it could be a think that you both have to have this sort of set up??
Still could be of benefit anyway if you are contacting a vehicle based radio with a similar antenna?
Set ''your'' radio up ........ no one else has to have a ''similar'' aerial or setup. A radio signal is technically a radio signal regardless of aerial, it is the strength that a decent aerial can improve.

One decent aerial in the system will have a better TX [transmit] and RX [receive] distance, if a roger rubber duck is used on one end, the better end can TX to it, it also can RX from it better. Beams/Yagi + a decent aerial = phenomenal TX/ RX distance.

''Line of sight'' while it is true, I still want to say B&S every time I read it, it can be overcome.:cool:

Petunia

other frequencies outside the CB UHF bands.
The TX4000 was dealer programmable with extra RX only channels. TX3400 was dealer programmable with 10 ''extra'' RX only channels, the TX3510/3520 series are User programmable with 95 extra RX channels =:cool: all outside UHF band.

It is not ill eagle to listen to [RX] anything, it is ill eagle to transmit [TX] on any or all. AU radios have the TX feature disabled on all but the 80 allowable.

Set ''your'' radio up ........ no one else has to have a ''similar'' aerial or setup. A radio signal is technically a radio signal regardless of aerial, it is the strength that a decent aerial can improve.

One decent aerial in the system will have a better TX [transmit] and RX [receive] distance, if a roger rubber duck is used on one end, the better end can TX to it, it also can RX from it better. Beams/Yagi + a decent aerial = phenomenal TX/ RX distance.

''Line of sight'' while it is true, I still want to say B&S every time I read it, it can be overcome.:cool:
Yes, I've been reading about the benefits of a good aerial. I'll need to buy handhelds which can take an external aerial, which I think the GMEs I have in mind can - GME TX6160TP

Petunia

Yes, I've been reading about the benefits of a good aerial. I'll need to buy handhelds which can take an external aerial, which I think the GMEs I have in mind can - GME TX6160TP
Pre-Internet, it was always good to go to the dealer and ask questions, better if your dealer went out with your sister for a while and you got to know him on a personal level. It was as easy as to ask/see if it unscrewed [I am sure a GME will do that, in higher spec models at least]. He is the person who built my custom 13.5db gain base station aerial, sadly he is with us no more, RIP.

I'm glad you have read what you did and taken it on board, it will serve you well. :cool:

A little bit of footage from my old GoPro (it's not as old as the Hilux though) showing the type of country I need to communicate in, and a nice little bass caught on one of my super-secret ;) home-made lures.

Triton14

That's the one I got & no complaints from me.
The in the pack it was good to get a mic & also the vox ear piece plus both desk top & 12V charger.
These things with other radio's you quite often have to buy as extras so I think that makes it good value really!