Handheld UHF recomendation?

hi guys, is handheld uhf good enough for casual 4wd ing activity? I am not keen in drilling holes on my dash. Any recomendation for a good handheld?
Thank you

I originally used 2x Icom41's ... one for a vehicle radio hooked up too an external aerial using a bnc connector and one for out the vehicle.. they've been fantastic over the years although i use a GME for inside now.

Icom are a complex radio, If i needed a handheld radio now I'd go GME , great service , Easier to use and Australian

cheers

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
I’ve got a GME TX6150 in my glovebox that’s worked flawlessly for years.
It seems to be well built. Hasn’t been babied at all, and nothing on it has broken.
I like that it’s waterproof too. Don’t have to worry when walking around creeks and rivers, or in the rain.
We do have a mounted unit for day to day stuff, and only use the handheld when one of us is outside the vehicle (gone for a walk, spotting, etc).
If we’ve been travelling with someone that doesn’t have a UHF, we’ll loan them the handheld, and it’s more than adequate for most vehicle to vehicle communications while in convoy.

Would a couple of handheld uhfs be any good for communicating for up to say 3kms along a creek in country which has a fair bit of vegetation and the creek is in a reasonable valley? Or would the twists & turns of the valley plus the trees mean line of sight is lost, so even a 5W handheld would be useless?

Bomber2012

Would a couple of handheld uhfs be any good for communicating for up to say 3kms along a creek in country which has a fair bit of vegetation and the creek is in a reasonable valley? Or would the twists & turns of the valley plus the trees mean line of sight is lost, so even a 5W handheld would be useless?
It really depends on the terrain but at a guess i reckon you would be ok .

Triton14

Terrain like hills/valleys etc affect UHF greatly, with a 5W radio if you were 3km away straight up a hill then you would probably have pretty good signal, if you were 1km away 2 valleys away & at the base of it then the signal would be very scrambled.

Unfortunately this doesn't matter if you have a $200 radio or a $50 radio, radio signals don't go through hills.

OP, if its just for talking between vehicles or someone assisting with winching then cheap 3W units will do the job, I have a couple of 3W unidens for that but I also have a 5W GME TX6155 for on foot hiking.,

Petunia

Hand held radios.

come in 1watt to a max of 5watt
5watt, is the Most Power allowable by law for a citizen band radio, most hard wired CB radios are 5watt, I would be buying a 5watt for myself if I was to buy one even given the cost.

Hand held are no different to hard wired, AERIAL AERIAL AERIAL.

How deep are your pockets? and how important is communication? A handheld has the Roger Rubber Duck, and these in some radios are upgradeable, and/or have a jack or connection for an external aerial, some the rubber duck unscrews to reveal the jack for an external aerial or upgraded aerial.

Have I mentioned the word Aerial enough yet? I still have a 13.5db custom made that will carry a 5watt signal 120klm, first world problem though it is 4.7 meters long. Same with a handheld, as range of aerial increases so does length, this however is a third world problem as an original rubber duck may be 6 inches long, a better range aerial my be a foot long.

Generally speaking, UHF signal is so easily interfered with when an aerial moves, even in convoy one truck has a bendy aerial whipping round he is the one who 'breaks up'.

I can't say yay or nay on the area you wish to use a radio in will or won't work, I can however say I have made them work, AERIAL AERIAL AERIAL.:cool:

Hand held radios.

come in 1watt to a max of 5watt
5watt, is the Most Power allowable by law for a citizen band radio, most hard wired CB radios are 5watt, I would be buying a 5watt for myself if I was to buy one even given the cost.

Hand held are no different to hard wired, AERIAL AERIAL AERIAL.

How deep are your pockets? and how important is communication? A handheld has the Roger Rubber Duck, and these in some radios are upgradeable, and/or have a jack or connection for an external aerial, some the rubber duck unscrews to reveal the jack for an external aerial or upgraded aerial.

Have I mentioned the word Aerial enough yet? I still have a 13.5db custom made that will carry a 5watt signal 120klm, first world problem though it is 4.7 meters long. Same with a handheld, as range of aerial increases so does length, this however is a third world problem as an original rubber duck may be 6 inches long, a better range aerial my be a foot long.

Generally speaking, UHF signal is so easily interfered with when an aerial moves, even in convoy one truck has a bendy aerial whipping round he is the one who 'breaks up'.

I can't say yay or nay on the area you wish to use a radio in will or won't work, I can however say I have made them work, AERIAL AERIAL AERIAL.:cool:
Yes, my research so far (before I started reading I knew sweet FA about CBs) also says aerials are King.

We mostly need them to communicate between 2 fishing guides who might be up to 3kms apart on a twisty stream at the bottom of a valley in case shit hits the fan.

So in reality, a Sat phone is probably smarter, but I was wondering if we could get away with UHFs? We will always be within about 100m of our vehicles, so could put a bigger aerial on the 4WDs that we could hook into. We can also drive to the top of a hill pretty quickly which may improve the range?

I guess the only way to really know is to bite the bullet, get a couple of 5 Watters and see how they go out there.

What about these repeater stations I read of? Will they help with the range?

Petunia

We can also drive to the top of a hill pretty quickly which may improve the range?
yes, no, maybe?

What about these repeater stations I read of? Will they help with the range?
Yes they do help with range, catch is you need to be able to access them, IE: within range of one. There are various web sites to help determine location of these repeaters. If you make it into a repeater, it then repeats your transmission for as far as it determined range, which is a damn long way.

I guess the only way to really know is to bite the bullet, get a couple of 5 Watters and see how they go out there.
Rent try buy, if 2 could be rented? loaned/borrowed? They still be a nice acquisition but if they are not useable? do you really want to buy them?

:cool:

UHF is pretty much line of sight. More power or more antenna gain won't help much if the signal is blocked by terrain. A repeater only helps if you both have line of sight to the repeater. Baofeng UV-5R is the cheap tester option, *but* make sure it's programmed for Aus 80 ch UHF CB and you have an idea how to use it without broadcasting on frequencies you aren't allowed to (big fines possible).

So I was able to borrow 2 Uniden 0.5W dinky little uhfs to test down there. Max range about 700m we discovered (not line of sight though, hills & trees inbetween).

The property owner has 2 GME 5W handhelds it turns out, and he is going to lend them to us to try, but reckon they will be good for a few kms & to reach his base station back at the house. He rates these as very good handheld uhfs - about $500 for the kit from Jaycar.

Good stuff, it is mostly line of sight which is good to keep in mind if you have comms issues, but with luck you get a bit of ground wave and ducting through valleys, results will vary with hill heights and ground conductivity (recent rain etc).

So I was able to borrow 2 Uniden 0.5W dinky little uhfs to test down there. Max range about 700m we discovered (not line of sight though, hills & trees inbetween).

The property owner has 2 GME 5W handhelds it turns out, and he is going to lend them to us to try, but reckon they will be good for a few kms & to reach his base station back at the house. He rates these as very good handheld uhfs - about $500 for the kit from Jaycar.

Id also suggest you get the model number and download the manuals,you don't want to accidentally lock yourself out...

Triton14

When I bought my radio I knew I was going to be using it in mountainous terrain so I got it with an additional aerial package to try & extend the range, a bit like say a military radio set up.
I haven't had an opportunity to test it in a real life scenario yet but the idea was to have this aerial cable tied to my backpack & the radio in a molle pouch also on the pack.
I will be testing this on my next trip & hoping it will increase the range, but then again the person on the other end has to be able to get back to you as well so it could be a think that you both have to have this sort of set up??
Still could be of benefit anyway if you are contacting a vehicle based radio with a similar antenna?

GME.jpg

I've got a 5w Baofeng chinese radio off ebay, bloody awesome, especially when you consider what you pay for it. Had to get a mate to download the 80 Aus UHF channels but all awesome!