GVM upgrade

Chambo55

Hi All.
One of the tings I want to do in the future to my cruiser is a GVM upgrade. I feel I am over weight with the drawers and a at least 350kg on the ball. My car is registered in NSW and I am currently hiding from COVID in Tasmania. ARB, TJM and others in Tassie have said they can do the GVM upgrade, no problem but can't certify it for the change on the rego papers. What a pain!! I have to wait until we return to NSW to get it done. Not sure when that will be. We need a national system for vehicles.

Albynsw

If you got your GVM upgrade when vehicle was new before its first registration it is a National certification but if done afterwards you need to get an engineer to sign it off for you.
It might be worth speaking with a few engineers who might work in conjunction with a local to where you are engineer to go through the process and sign it off.
Have a talk to Lovell’s they might be able to sort it out with you

2luxes

Hi All.. I feel I am over weight with the drawers and a at least 350kg on the ball.
You will definitely be overweight. A GVM upgrade may make it legal but there could be a big question mark hanging over its safety and reliability.

Don't forget everything you put behind the rear axle is sitting on a lever i e. the distance between the axle and each piece of material that you put back there. Your ball weight alone could put close to 500 kg on the axle. It will be way over that as the car bounces up and down on uneven road surfaces.

Excessive rear end weight has broken plenty of wheels, wheel studs, axles, axle housings and even chassis on cab/chassis utes.

Chambo55

Than
You will definitely be overweight. A GVM upgrade may make it legal but there could be a big question mark hanging over its safety and reliability.

Don't forget everything you put behind the rear axle is sitting on a lever i e. the distance between the axle and each piece of material that you put back there. Your ball weight alone could put close to 500 kg on the axle. It will be way over that as the car bounces up and down on uneven road surfaces.

Excessive rear end weight has broken plenty of wheels, wheel studs, axles, axle housings and even chassis on cab/chassis utes.
Thanks 2luxes, certainly given me more to be concerned about.
Cheers,
Kevin

LurchWA

Hi All.
One of the tings I want to do in the future to my cruiser is a GVM upgrade. I feel I am over weight with the drawers and a at least 350kg on the ball. My car is registered in NSW and I am currently hiding from COVID in Tasmania. ARB, TJM and others in Tassie have said they can do the GVM upgrade, no problem but can't certify it for the change on the rego papers. What a pain!! I have to wait until we return to NSW to get it done. Not sure when that will be. We need a national system for vehicles.
Hey Chambo, I had a OME 2" lift fitted to my 200 series early on and was informed by ARB that it could be engineered so had it done. Picked up a few hundred kgs from stock up to 3680kg GVM I think from memory. Easy process, fitted mod plate and took report to WA licensing and they changed the rego on the car. Wasnt A cheap exercise though from memory with Engineers fees and plate around the grand mark. Agree with you regards a national standard as is the case with most trucks these days

Chambo55

Hey Chambo, I had a OME 2" lift fitted to my 200 series early on and was informed by ARB that it could be engineered so had it done. Picked up a few hundred kgs from stock up to 3680kg GVM I think from memory. Easy process, fitted mod plate and took report to WA licensing and they changed the rego on the car. Wasnt A cheap exercise though from memory with Engineers fees and plate around the grand mark. Agree with you regards a national standard as is the case with most trucks these days
Hi LurchWA, I spoke with the Lovells agent today (in Tassie) who tells me they can do the job, raise the GVM to 4200kg, for a bit over $6k, but he can't certify it as the vehicle is NSW registered. Even when I return to NSW and get it done, the vehicle will only be legal in NSW, can't then be registered in any other state. Real issue.

2luxes

certainly given me more to be concerned about.
Cheers,
Kevin
Have a look through the " RV Books " web site. In addition to being able to buy many books, it contains a lot of information on towing and stability. Take notice of the section on understeer / oversteer, tyre slip angles, front to rear slip angle ratios and the use of a weight distributing hitch.

Cars are designed to understeer because very few drivers can control oversteer. It is easy to change them to oversteer with suspension alterations and excessive weight on the rear. An oversteering car with a heavy caravan/ trailer swinging around behind it is going to be very difficulty or even impossible to bring back into line.

LurchWA

Hi LurchWA, I spoke with the Lovells agent today (in Tassie) who tells me they can do the job, raise the GVM to 4200kg, for a bit over $6k, but he can't certify it as the vehicle is NSW registered. Even when I return to NSW and get it done, the vehicle will only be legal in NSW, can't then be registered in any other state. Real issue.
If you use an independent engineer to do the certification then you can register anywhere mate. Most licensing depts wont question an engineers report subject to the mods complying with that states code

discomatt

I thought that a car has to be legal where it is registered, therefore when outside of your state the legal requirement and insurance of the car is relative to the state of registration and other state laws have no bearing on insurance.

Albynsw

I thought that a car has to be legal where it is registered, therefore when outside of your state the legal requirement and insurance of the car is relative to the state of registration and other state laws have no bearing on insurance.

That is how I understand it too, my GVM upgrade is done under NSW legislation and have had no issues. I am getting my new one done under National law because is is cheaper, only cost a couple of hundred bucks extra over the suspension upgrade

Chambo55

Have a look through the " RV Books " web site. In addition to being able to buy many books, it contains a lot of information on towing and stability. Take notice of the section on understeer / oversteer, tyre slip angles, front to rear slip angle ratios and the use of a weight distributing hitch.

Cars are designed to understeer because very few drivers can control oversteer. It is easy to change them to oversteer with suspension alterations and excessive weight on the rear. An oversteering car with a heavy caravan/ trailer swinging around behind it is going to be very difficulty or even impossible to bring back into line.
Hi 2luxes. That RV Books site was a very interesting read. Thanks.

Albynsw

I would be calling Lovell’s head office, they are in NSW and see what they can do for you. All their installers are accredited so their NSW engineer might be happy to do the paperwork from NSW even though you are getting the install done in Tassie

Mick_Marsh

Engineering certification is an interesting topic.
For example, Victoria accepts certification from all states but, recently, NSW decided not to accept certification from any state other than NSW.