Change background image

GVM Upgrade

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by DVStec, Jul 9, 2018.

1. DVStec

DVStec New Member

I'm new here an not sure if I am in the right spot.

Anyone know if its possible to do a GVM upgrade to a 2014 Single Cab Landcruiser 79 to 4200kg, most places will only show 3900kg and I have done a fair bit of ringing around, but no one can tell me definitively if its possible. Has anyone done this?

2. REDDOG IAIN

REDDOG IAIN New Member

600 kg is the Max that the law will permit, you can specify mining Spec [90kg]but that can't be driven on a road

DVStec likes this.
  3. DVStec

DVStec New Member

OK thanks, makes sense regarding all the figures I've seen listed, time to get a new LC79 then :)

4. REDDOG IAIN

REDDOG IAIN New Member

Won't help you much the same law apply's,sad really.I have had 6 79's in a row, and the same issue, that is, I carry a slide on camper that weighs 700kg, the 79 handles better than my Hilux, but, you still face the problem.

DVStec likes this.
  5. DVStec

DVStec New Member

Lovells Springs will do this:
    • CPA 25742: Toyota Landcruiser LC79 Cab Chassis Single Cab 5 Star ANCAP to 4200kg. (Original GVM is 3400kg)
    but needs to be a 2017 LC79 or newer, was just hoping there was some sort of solution for my current '14

phs likes this.
  6. Mick_Marsh

Mick_Marsh Member

7. REDDOG IAIN

REDDOG IAIN New Member

I again say, 600kg is the max that can be LEGALLY obtained, anything above that gets you into a world of hurt real quick, check the ale weight allowances front and rear, make sure your insurer will in fact unsure.

8. Mick_Marsh

Mick_Marsh Member

You got the link to the government legislation that states this?

9. REDDOG IAIN

REDDOG IAIN New Member

Any of the State rego authority sites will assist, the easet way is to ring your Local ARB or TJM store, they will advise the local requirements.

10. Mick_Marsh

Mick_Marsh Member

Yeah. I couldn't find anything either.

11. 2luxes

2luxes Active Member

If you forget the legal side for a minute, you can install springs to support any weight you want but the axle housings are still standard. If you crack one or even break it in half, you certainly won't be the first to do it.

If you do get an upgrade then keep the speed down on rough roads. The forces going up through the axles, wheel bearings, wheels and chassis increase by the square of the speed. If you go through things like washouts, dips or holes at cattle grids then do it slowly.

12. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

sell it mate a get something that's built ta carry the weight. here you go !
    [​IMG]
    2005 FORD F350 KING RANCH LIFTED CUMMINS TWIN TURBO DIESEL 4X4........ that should cover what you want.

discomatt and callmejoe like this.
  13. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

I think you will find than 3900kg is your axle limit and to get higher than that will require some big $$$$$ modifications
    Personally I think if you need more than that you have chosen the wrong vehicle for the job.

The other aspect to this is that these certified weights are really for blacktop style conditions, you don’t want to be at the top end limits in off-road situations if you can avoid it

14. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Well-Known Member

Think something like this is the solution...

15. Mick_Marsh

Mick_Marsh Member

16. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

Interesting NSW must be different, I just received my paper work from RMS (nsw motoring authority) approving my 660kg gvm upgrade. Maybe 660KG is max in NSW.