GU or 100ser???

Sharky

My mum & step father wanna buy a good 4x4, turbo diesel, 4.2 or bigger & 2000 or newer. I nearly had em talked into a GU but with a lack of good 4.2's around, the old boy keeps talkin about a 100 series. I need some anti-100ser fuel to throw in the fire. Help me out, not that I want this to turn into a landcruiser mud slingin festival coz I still have my cruiser as well as my GU, but I need some facts to poke at em.

I know they have weak front suspension, the same old transfer issues they've always had, as well as saggin suspension particularly when under load (more than they should), & weak front diffs, particularly when snatching. They also had weak gearboxes too as did the 79 series. I've heard they put that sound deadener under the chassis too, which attracted moisture & dirt, adding weight & rust. Have I missed anything?

What else can I throw at em to convince em to buy a GU? I gave em a drive of mine & they liked it but it's naturally aspirated & with 33's it's a little lacking in power, which doesn't bother me coz with my criminal :eek: record "for driving" that's what I need, plus what it lacks in pwr it makes up for in size & off rd ability. It still pulls big weight well.

Cheers

GippsSurfer

your best bet would be to take em to some car yards and drive the cars back to back on the same day on the same terrain... then they can compare what they are like...

Sharky

I told em that too. The reason there are none for sale is that no one wants to part with them.

The old girl tried tellin me that cruisers hold their value better too. I just choked & said "where's the proof of that?"

Apparrently they know some bloke who is a parts interpreter at their local toyota dealership so I think some sweet bull***t has been whispered in their ears. Toyota will tell u honestly that Nissan's are cheaper to buy coz they r a Toyota dealer, & people go there lookin to buy a toyota. If they trade a Nissan in they have to put out cheap to sell it. That works both ways too.

I'm just about ready to tell em to get him to fim em a car if he knows so much.

People who have had cruisers will swear by them, but anyone who has had both..............will always swear by Patrols I've found.

Aargh, I don't really care too much. It's no skin off my nose if they go cruiser.

4X4

Sharky, in all honesty, the cruiser is finished off better and would make a more comfortable tourer. If on the other hand they want to do some serious 4WDriving, then go the Patrol. I hope this confuses you err.... mean helps you! LOL

BUSHNUT

I told em that too. The reason there are none for sale is that no one wants to part with them.

The old girl tried tellin me that cruisers hold their value better too. I just choked & said "where's the proof of that?"

Apparrently they know some bloke who is a parts interpreter at their local toyota dealership so I think some sweet bull***t has been whispered in their ears. Toyota will tell u honestly that Nissan's are cheaper to buy coz they r a Toyota dealer, & people go there lookin to buy a toyota. If they trade a Nissan in they have to put out cheap to sell it. That works both ways too.

I'm just about ready to tell em to get him to fim em a car if he knows so much.

People who have had cruisers will swear by them, but anyone who has had both..............will always swear by Patrols I've found.

Aargh, I don't really care too much. It's no skin off my nose if they go cruiser.

Sharky,

From my experience , for all intents and purposes, you are their son, everyone else is a FU@KING EXPERT, just tell them you will keep the tow hook polished up for them . If by some chance they took your advice and by some quirk of fate they bought a Friday afternoon patrol and they had nothing but trouble with it ( most likely a 3.0 litre ) then you know what would happen then .

You would need a few shovels to dig your self out of it !

This way you can sit back and just say " What can I say !"

Or you could use the old reverse Pshycology and get enthused about Toyotas but if that didn't work you would again be in deep Sh!t .

LowLux

Don't want mud slinging eh? Have you informed them of the GU faults..I'll bet not. Both are very good rigs and I'll bet the Cruizer will be around for a very long time. Why don't you let them choose for themselves based on what features they want and let them experience the whole thing for themselves. Neither rig will let them down.

Chucky

Sharky, in all honesty, the cruiser is finished off better and would make a more comfortable tourer. If on the other hand they want to do some serious 4WDriving, then go the Patrol. I hope this confuses you err.... mean helps you! LOL

Agree with this.

I am cruiser all the way, but the driving I do, the 4.2 GU would be better than a 100series. BUT, if I was more into touring, and comfort was more important that off road, then the 100 series would be the choice. IMO The GU isn't that much better off road, but the 100 is much better finished than the GU.
However I would never own a 3.0l GU....ever, even if I won it, it'd be sold before the key was turned.

Fox Shooter

I used to own a 100 series and now have a GU IV 4.2TD I prefer the GU mostly do to it's drive line strength and the reliability of the 4.2TD and ease of servicing. But saying that I had no problems with the 100 series except wit the front diff also the toyota drove a bit smoother. As long as you keep regular servicing I don't think you will have a problem with either of them.

Stay away from the 3lt GU.

croozza

Lets throw a cat amungst the piegons, don't rule out a prado, it is more comfy than both the cruiser and patrol, larger inside than a patrol, more fuel efficient than both, has a larger fuel capacity than both, has a stonking petrol motor or get the awesome diesel, you can still get all the same off road accessories, need I say more. oh and has a better front end than the cruiser.

victa

Depends on what they want i suppose. We are seeking similar style vehicles and the missus loves the Mits Pajero VRX as it has everything she wants. 7 seats, electric everything, cruise control, DVD player etc.

Me, I want strong diffs, good suspension, - patrol Cruiser prado.

I know your pain !!

butchinajeep

Get them to have a look at all the 4x4 in the price range thay want to spend
Look at all models Toyo Mits Nis Jeep
Drive them all and let them pick one

chisel

105 cruiser will be similar to the GU offroad. 100 series IFS cruiser, especially the TD, will easily beat the GU for comfort, performance and economy in more general touring and driving around town.
100 series has higher towing capacity if that's needed.
I'd say the 100 IFS is just as comfortable as a prado - close enough anyway - but certainly if they don't need the space or towing capacity then the prado would be a great option too.