GU engine replacement

AdamSN

Hi all,

I have a 3.0ltr GU and was wondering if anyone has experience in an engine replacement. I have heard of some companies which are doing Detroit V8 diesel swaps - sounds massive!

anthony_vicki

I have heard of guys putting the 6lt Holden V8 and Automatic gearbox in the GU - probably a little cheaper than the diesel option and certainly won't be short of power. Pretty sure the GU transfer case needs to be upgraded though. Marks 4WD Adaptors sell the adaptor kits etc and have some pretty useful info on conversions. Holmart often sell new crate motors and gearboxes for realistic prices.

croozza

Hi all,

I have a 3.0ltr GU and was wondering if anyone has experience in an engine replacement. I have heard of some companies which are doing Detroit V8 diesel swaps - sounds massive!

Ring the guys at on track 4wd centre. They will put you in the right direction.

BUSHNUT

One of our crew, Fleety, did a conversion on his 4.8 Patrol to a Hummer diesel V8 motor. whikst retaining the auto gearbox .

The big problem was that either the engine was anologue and the gearbox was digital or the other way around- Fleety is in IT and developed a component which made them work together .

With the old 2.8 GQ patrols, the drivetrain was a lighter set up than on the 4.2's, I dont know if this is the case in the GU's 3.0 ltr but is something that would have to be checked out - whether the 3.0 has a lighter drive train than the 4.8 , that , I would think would have a bearing on the feasibility .

below is a picture of Fleetys rig , the conversion was done by a mob in Oakliegh , victoria

I will add Fleety's email address to this tomorrow as it is on the works computer.

Hope this is of some help .

Attachments

• fleetys.jpg
    fleetys.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 152

BUSHNUT

One of our crew, Fleety, did a conversion on his 4.8 Patrol to a Hummer diesel V8 motor. whikst retaining the auto gearbox .

The big problem was that either the engine was anologue and the gearbox was digital or the other way around- Fleety is in IT and developed a component which made them work together .

With the old 2.8 GQ patrols, the drivetrain was a lighter set up than on the 4.2's, I dont know if this is the case in the GU's 3.0 ltr but is something that would have to be checked out - whether the 3.0 has a lighter drive train than the 4.8 , that , I would think would have a bearing on the feasibility .

below is a picture of Fleetys rig , the conversion was done by a mob in Oakliegh , victoria

I will add Fleety's email address to this tomorrow as it is on the works computer.

Hope this is of some help .

here is Fleety's email

'Rob Finley' <robf@pacific.net.au>