Change background image

Greetings, LN107 owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ComfortablyNumb, Aug 15, 2018.

1. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb New Member

Found this website when looking for info on ARB diff lockers, and found that famous & most informative thread.

Not sure I actually need a diff locker on the old 93 Hilux SR5 (LN107R), since as a fly-fishing guide I don't go into really radical places, and the one time the BT50 behind me needed to engage its locker to get up a slippery lip in a creek crossing, the old Hilux just chugged up it with barely a wheel slip? Probably due to the massive weight difference I guess as the 93 SR5 seems very light compared to new 4WDs.

I don't really know that much about 4WDing, the Hilux has no winch, no recovery points (hooks) that I can see & I don't even own a snatch stap :oops:. I think I'll get the local TJM guys to add a hook to the front somewhere & buy one that slots into the towbar.

Have thought about upgrading several times, but just can't bear to part with the old girl after 18yrs & the Navara & Tritons I tested out hit bottom in places the Hilux (which I believe has no lift kit) did not even touch? My mechanic told me keep the Hilux as new 4WDs need another $2-3K spent on a lift kit before you can do what I do in them (which is not that much). Besides, it only has 286,000kms on it which I'm told is not that much.

So this winter I cracked out the wet & dry, the etch primer, and the Duplicolor rattlecan and started fixed up some of the worst surface rust (esp roof & drivers door - the door had been bogged up when I bought it), and used VHT spraypaint on the wheels. Not as good as new, but a big improvement.

Problems over 18yrs (paid $20K for it in 2000 with 156,000kms on it):
    - had injectors replaced when I first got it - made absolutely no difference to the amount of smoke it blows!
    - a few wheel bearings replaced
    - 2nd hand fuel tank and 2nd hand injector pump (originals started leaking) - I suspect my fault for buying the cheapest diesel in town from a dodgy place. Only use Caltex diesel now and the difference in power is obvious.
    - new radiator
    - autoelectrician had to bypass the computer with the 4WD button so the indicator light would come on
    - worm drive gear in 4WD mechanism seized so 4WD would not engage. Mechanic applied some grease and it's worked ever since
    - recently it overheated up a big hill on a hot day causing front seals to leak oil & need replacing (got timing belt done at same time). A month later, the temp gauge went off the scale but luckily I noticed after 5mins and stopped (NRMA guy said if it was a new 4WD, it would have been cooked). Thermostat had jammed closed so was replaced (and I'm now guessing that's what caused the first overheat)
    - fuel gauge is a bit dicky

It drives like a rowboat on the bitumen, speed drops to 60/70 up a decent hill, blows smoke...but offroad just keeps on chugging.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colly18 and Mr Rum like this.
  2. Colly18

Colly18 Member

As they say, "An Oldie, but a Goodie!" :)

3. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

welcome to earth mate, the older cars are a bit rough around the edges, but they'll get you where you want to go, and back !