Great Wall Of Trash, Easter Weekend /Otways

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I don't want to sound like a dictator, whatever, however I know how to fix it once and for all.
Unfortunately the Government and previous ones as well do not have the bal#s to do it.
It is all about votes and pandering to the self entitles p###ks who reckon everyone else owes them.
Fees, confiscation and destruction of personal assets with jail time and more if necessary.
Today I played golf with a bloke from Zimbabwe and he was utterly amazed at the rubbish dropped around even near rubbish bins. Of course he picked it all up and so did I.
About time we taught us Aussies what the real world is about. And it ain't definitely about us.
Note. Anyone who lives in this great country is Aussie, so I direct it at everyone.
Wake up you idiots.
Boy, I wish I was in charge. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah, read that elsewhere, bloody disappointing, but not totally surprising.

What the hell goes through their heads ?
They managed to cart it all in, it's lighter now, more compact, all that's needed is double bagging of rubbish and remove to a suitable place (preferably the home rubbish / recycle).

Is there something distasteful about handling their own garbage ?
Do they think about leaving it as they found it, so others can enjoy nature in a clean condition ?
Can they really not care ?

What baffles me though is people in the story I read that they want more bins / dumpsters put in to deal with it.
In many remote places, this is simply not an option, some places have trouble disposing of their own minor waste, let alone dealing with selfish visitors needs.
Often too bins are simply left overflowing, creates more problems than it (tries) to solve.

I'd rather see the root of the problem fixed, attitudes and ethos.
Sadly unlikely to happen in todays entitled society.

Wish the majority of the 4WD fraternity would adopt the general bushwalking ethos of "pack it in, take it out" or similarly "take only photographs, leave only footprints".
Of course we walk places very occasionally to find someone has carted a few bottles / cans of beer into some scenic spot, sat there having a drink and watch a sunset or whatever, then left the empties.
Pretty rare though.

Some day it will happen, people won't just be able to drive to places freely, they'll have to book, pay a substantial bond, and only get refunded after their site's been inspected and found clean.

Triton14

The small % will always spoil it for the greater & respectful populous.

Unfortunately then the upstanding members of society are then tainted with the same brush.

Happen all the time in many ways.

1996, sound familiar?

Toyasaurus

Like most of these morons, they know the difference between right and wrong and don`t give a shit.

They would be the first to complain if the tracks and grounds get shut because of this kind of crap.

If it`s in the too hard basket or takes some extra effort, so solly not going to happen.

What should be done is to dump a full load from the council waste truck in their front yard, see how they like it.

red hilux

Look on the bright side.

The piles of rubbish is in rubbish bags and piled in one spot.

They could have easily just left to rubbish at the camp site, and maybe not even in bags

discomatt

Yep, world full of morons but all is not lost, watch David Attenborbough Extinction, here is a short clip but worth a watch. Us humans are doomed in the long run so nature after another few million years will have forgotten about the virus that now plagues this planet, its a shame the last virus didn't kill what was predicted or double that rather than just doing what it did for the long term betterment of the planet and humans as a species.

Rusty Panels

These mongrels make you sick. They do ruin it for the rest of us.
I would never make excuses for these dirtbags however, many of the local councils haven't helped the situation by removing most of the rubbish bins in order to save money. You used to be able to walk down any street in most towns and see a conveniently placed bin where you could drop in your lunch wrapper, lolly paper or cigarette butt or whatever. Nowadays you're pushing it to find a bin anywhere.

The other increasing problem is these dirtbags who set off for a day trip into the scrub for the sole purpose of dumping their household garbage.
I know it would cost a lot to set up and operate a tip but, when they charge over $400 for a box trailer load it comes as no surprise to me to see these creatures dumping their rubbish in the bush.

I think the best thing we can do is to speak up if you see someone doing it, take registration numbers and dob the mongrels in. Surprisingly the Law is usually tougher on these litterbugs than they are on these thugs who bash old ladies.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Look on the bright side.

The piles of rubbish is in rubbish bags and piled in one spot.

They could have easily just left to rubbish at the camp site, and maybe not even in bags
I thought it was the locals that did the clean up, but clicking the ABC link and seeing the dumpster bin there, it's more likely campers did think they were doing the right thing and leaving it there.

But that's exactly what I meant by these bins often creating more of a rubbish issue.

The trick in this scenario is getting people to take their rubbish with them.
Not having bins may work, they may have that guilt of not leaving their crap behind.
In many cases though, there will be those that don't care, or think someone else will pick up after them.

Again, the entitled society will ruin it for all.

megamung

We camped not far from Kingscliff over Easter and found some Knobs had dragged a whole lounge suite down onto the beach and then just left it amongst the dunes when they were done. Some other genius later went to the trouble of throwing all the cushions up into the trees.
People are just morons, there is no hope in trying to educate these few. Big stick is what is needed.
Take away all the bins and force every one to take their crap home.

Skurfer

It's always been a problem. Not a recent thing.

I don't know why if it always happens on the busy weekends why the council doesn't just drop 10 skip bins down there for the weekend and hopefully everyone puts their rubbish in there, the truck comes and takes it away. Seems to be done on the Murray on the busy weekends and seeks to work alright. Impossible in the remote places but this camp site is far from remote, hence the amount of rubbish and crap people can bring with them.

We did an overnighter at jeparit on our way to big desert for Easter and the council had dropped 2 portable toilets in the free camping area behind the golf club as it is really busy on the busy weekends and human waste would be a huge problem there. We overnighted back there on our way back home a few days after the Easter weekend and they were gone again but it was back to situation normal with no one there.

Swaggie

I thought it was the locals that did the clean up, but clicking the ABC link and seeing the dumpster bin there, it's more likely campers did think they were doing the right thing and leaving it there.

But that's exactly what I meant by these bins often creating more of a rubbish issue.
Think you hit the nail on the head mate, Same thing happens at Dargo Footy Oval, Although they have a guy come around and he carts it off to the tip.

It's always been a problem. Not a recent thing.

I don't know why if it always happens on the busy weekends why the council doesn't just drop 10 skip bins down there for the weekend
Too much like common sense