Great Wall: 4wd light staying on .

Lachy2021

Hey people just wanting to know if any one knows the x240 4wd light staying on an doesn't sound like it's even trying to engage 4wd

Need help please

Last edited by a moderator:

CTL

Most vehicles have 4WD engagement instructions on the driver’s sunvisor. Have they followed them exactly.
If still not engaging, could be any number of causes. Blocked breather on transfer case, faulty shift-on-the-fly actuator on front axle, disconnected electrical plug, etc, etc

dirvine

Having owned a GW X240, if the light is staying on then there are two areas to look at. When you engage 4WD there is a motor on the front passenger side drive shaft that slide over a spline and locks up the front drive shafts. At the rear of the transfer case is a motor that also motor that engages low range. Usually the one on the front drive shaft fails 1st as it is more exposed to water etc. With my car it kept playing up and was going to cost a bomb to replace so I disconnected the electricals and slid the sleeve so it was always enguaged. I then put on manual free wheeling hubs. That overcame that issue. Hope that helps

Lachy2021

But when you take out the 4x4 fuse the front axle will spin freely an when you put the fuse back in the 4wd light flashes until you roll forward you can hear the front axle lock in

dirvine

But when you take out the 4x4 fuse the front axle will spin freely an when you put the fuse back in the 4wd light flashes until you roll forward you can hear the front axle lock in
Yes under normal conditions that would be true, But that front motor is in a vulnerable place and often seizes or does not work (as mine did). So I just disconnected the wires, made sure it was always locked on, and got free wheeling hubs. Problems all solved.

dirvine

Dont forget to slide the sleeve over on the front actuator if you do that. To check which actuator is NOT working. Put the car in 4wd. jack up a front wheel and turn it. If the front tails shaft turns then the front actuator is working, and so its the transfer case one that not. If you cannot turn the wheel then both are working (so why is the light flashing) Or try and spin the front tail shaft while one front wheel is off the ground. If it spins then its definately the transfer case actuator, Hope that helps.

Lachy2021

It's weird because when you put the 4x4 fuse in just with the ignition on the front hubs lock in without the car even going

dirvine

The car does not need to be "running" to get the actuator to work. Ignition on and the nob on 4wd will do it. But if as you say the front hubs lock then it must be the transfer case one. Do the check as I mentioned just to confirm. Ie car in 4wd, one wheel off the ground. If you can turn the wheel then its the transfer case. If you cannot then you have 4wd despite the flashing light which would be weird.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
It's weird because when you put the 4x4 fuse in just with the ignition on the front hubs lock in without the car even going
Don't have a Great Wall but ...
So with the fuse out is it out of 4wd? If so, then it looks to me like you have an electrical issue and would start checking the 4wd switch that it hasn't got a short - try removing one side of the switch wire if possible and see if the hubs still lock.

Just a thought