Great Wall: 4wd light staying on .

Lachy2021

Hey people just wanting to know if any one knows the x240 4wd light staying on an doesn't sound like it's even trying to engage 4wd

Need help please

Last edited by a moderator:

CTL

Most vehicles have 4WD engagement instructions on the driver’s sunvisor. Have they followed them exactly.
If still not engaging, could be any number of causes. Blocked breather on transfer case, faulty shift-on-the-fly actuator on front axle, disconnected electrical plug, etc, etc

dirvine

Having owned a GW X240, if the light is staying on then there are two areas to look at. When you engage 4WD there is a motor on the front passenger side drive shaft that slide over a spline and locks up the front drive shafts. At the rear of the transfer case is a motor that also motor that engages low range. Usually the one on the front drive shaft fails 1st as it is more exposed to water etc. With my car it kept playing up and was going to cost a bomb to replace so I disconnected the electricals and slid the sleeve so it was always enguaged. I then put on manual free wheeling hubs. That overcame that issue. Hope that helps

Lachy2021

But when you take out the 4x4 fuse the front axle will spin freely an when you put the fuse back in the 4wd light flashes until you roll forward you can hear the front axle lock in

dirvine

But when you take out the 4x4 fuse the front axle will spin freely an when you put the fuse back in the 4wd light flashes until you roll forward you can hear the front axle lock in
Yes under normal conditions that would be true, But that front motor is in a vulnerable place and often seizes or does not work (as mine did). So I just disconnected the wires, made sure it was always locked on, and got free wheeling hubs. Problems all solved.