Grand Cherokee 97 ?

OzWill

Hey there !

Currently in Australia, I'm about to buy a 4x4 to go in the bush / outback.
I have a 97 Grand Cherokee in sight, 235k for 5000$.

I will have to customize it : add a rooftop tent, roof rack, fridge, etc ...
Does every roof rack fits with Jeep ?
Is an American make like Jeep a good choice in oz ?

Thanks buddies !

CaptainBanana

Also for 5k you can buy a fully decked one. The guy a couple of streets over has one listed for 6k I think and last I saw it's down to 3 and not sold.

You won't get parts at your local Jeep dealer but used parts are plentiful and rock auto can have them in here in a week or less.... I still wouldn't buy one though.

Barra GU

For something to travel around the country at that price range i probably wouldnt go one of them either.

Probably go a mitsubishi pajero or something like that. Maybe even an older prado?

OzWill

Thanks guys you so much guys !! Didn't expect so many answers so quickly ! You rock !!
I give up on this model then !
I'm looking on GumTree and Facebook marketplace, do you know where I can could have a look ?

Drewswb

Gum tree for pajeros backpackers sell them cheap when they go back. So they usually come with a pile of camping gear mostly crap. Just be aware it will be first time redgo as there usually registered in some frech kids name who was 4 owner's ago. Surprisingly there not always a can of worms

OzWill

So much crap on the marketplace you don't wanna know ...
I'll check carsales !
You guys rock !

billolga

4x4 Earth Contributer
Keep in mind Australia is the same size as mainland USA with way more distance between service in the "outback",
& keep in mind those blue lines on the map usually don't have water plus a lot of the black lines are not roads like in the US.
To make it more confusing The Gun Barrel HIGHWAY is NOT a highway but the Birdsville Track IS.
After all that bad stuff (And I haven't mentioned the things that bite or kill you- That's a game Ozzies play with visitors):cool::D

Now the good news is you can see a hell of a lot of Australia in a cheap vehicle if you don't stick your neck out - My first trips around Australia were in a 10 year old Hatch Back.

Drewswb

Keep in mind Australia is the same size as mainland USA with way more distance between service in the "outback",
& keep in mind those blue lines on the map usually don't have water plus a lot of the black lines are not roads like in the US.
To make it more confusing The Gun Barrel HIGHWAY is NOT a highway but the Birdsville Track IS.
After all that bad stuff (And I haven't mentioned the things that bite or kill you- That's a game Ozzies play with visitors):cool::D

Now the good news is you can see a hell of a lot of Australia in a cheap vehicle if you don't stick your neck out - My first trips around Australia were in a 10 year old Hatch Back.
IMG_20190906_231513.jpg
IMG_20190906_231513.jpg

OzWill

I will try carsales !

I know the risks ! Oz is a dangerous country ! That's why I need a good car.

I refused the 97 Cherokee offer, I chose a Mitsubishi Triton 2001 ! What do you think ?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1048955915446467/?ref=messenger_banner

mauriceb

@ Ozwill Hope you didn't buy the Mitzy as this one's on Facebook Marketplace , later model, lower Km's. Better fuel economy. Friendly owner waving.
Screenshot_2019-10-28-22-44-15-25.png