GQ tacho problem

cokeaddict

Hey guys,
its been doing it for a couple weeks now. Not all the time though.
Just posting it here in case its a common issue or maybe someone else has come across it has an idea they can share with me.
Got me stumped though.
All earths are good and cleaned, just incase you ask.

dom14

This is usually caused by electrical contact issue of the meter unit. pull it out and clean the contacts behind it.
Same thing happened to me and I didn't even have to clean the contacts, it fixed itself after I removed it and put it back.

cokeaddict

Thanks dom,
yep will sus it out in the next couple weeks. from what others have suggested, its more than likely a dry solder or similar behind the dash. didnt realise how common this problem was but other forums all mention its a common problem with GQ's
Thanks again mate.

dom14

Thanks dom,
yep will sus it out in the next couple weeks. from what others have suggested, its more than likely a dry solder or similar behind the dash. didnt realise how common this problem was but other forums all mention its a common problem with GQ's
Thanks again mate.
No dramas. Yeah, this is a common problem with GQs. Just brushing the rear contacts of the meter unit with a gentle brush or spray some contact clean should do the job.
When it happened to me around four years ago, I pulled the meter unit out and inspected it. I couldn't see much dirt or anything, but I knew it was a contact issue. I put it back and it's been going fine ever since.
When I pulled it out, I thought it's old school cable unit. But, it was obvious it's all electronic.
But, it's a pretty good unit other than this minor issue.

blj

my truck also has this sticky tacho issue,thought it might be a wiring/connecter issue,just nice to know do do dash first,will get to it shortly and post results

If its a diesel there is a sender unit under the water pump on the timing cover that sometimes fail, they are an easy fix. Also the speedo binnacle comes out relatively easy and the unit does seperate so you can access to clean

blj

thanks for the extra info Rosco,i will do the dash 1st and then the sender if the problem is still there

cokeaddict

Rosco,
Thanks for that info mate. done the dash bit and no changes, all boards and contacts are perfect behind the dash.
This sender unit under the water pump is one I was not aware of existed, will check it out soon as I usually change my water pump every 3 years and its due soon enough.
So the sender is threaded into the timing cover correct? No need to r & r the timing cover right?
Thanks again buddy

one or two 10mm bolts, there is a gasket behind the sender so just be careful you dont damage that taking it off. Not sure of the price of a replacement but $50 seems to ring a bell.

cokeaddict

Hey rosco,
Thanks again buddy for your input mate. confirmed it to be the cause last weekend. Will replace and clean everything as soon as i change my waterpump that way i have a clear view of whats happening.
Much appreciated buddy.