gq headlight upgrade

sidewaysvc

Im in the mist with the headlight upgrade options everyone seams to love the hid lights but being illigal now im not so keen on it had enough trouble with the authority in my old car there are so many options availabe dont know where to start there's focal lights and magnified lights crystal lights WTF so much shit to choose from and to read about them from anyone trying to sell them they are all better than each other so a litlle lost and just wanted to know who has done what.

Here are a few examples from ebay:

GQ PATROL COMPLETE H/LIGHT UPGRADE LAMPS/LOOM/GLOBES - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 29-Dec-09 14:25:36 AEDST)

Nissan Patrol Maverick GQ MQ 7" Magnified Head Lights - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 08-Dec-09 13:14:41 AEDST)

Nissan Patrol Maverick GQ MQ 7" Round Focal Head Lights - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 08-Dec-09 13:40:32 AEDST)

croozza

Im in the mist with the headlight upgrade options everyone seams to love the hid lights but being illigal now im not so keen on it had enough trouble with the authority in my old car there are so many options availabe dont know where to start there's focal lights and magnified lights crystal lights WTF so much shit to choose from and to read about them from anyone trying to sell them they are all better than each other so a litlle lost and just wanted to know who has done what.

Here are a few examples from ebay:

GQ PATROL COMPLETE H/LIGHT UPGRADE LAMPS/LOOM/GLOBES - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 29-Dec-09 14:25:36 AEDST)

Nissan Patrol Maverick GQ MQ 7" Magnified Head Lights - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 08-Dec-09 13:14:41 AEDST)

Nissan Patrol Maverick GQ MQ 7" Round Focal Head Lights - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 08-Dec-09 13:40:32 AEDST)

They are both great upgrades, but an upgrade will only work properly if you get the wiring upgraded as well.

sidewaysvc

whys that will it just draw too much current and bugger the standard wiring? so the better option out of the three stated would be the one with the upgrade loom then i have to start looking at the altanater then wont i?

croozza

You get voltage drop with the std wiring, can be as low as 9v at the headlight, this is due to the wires being too small, so putting in bigger wires and a good quality relay will stop the voltage drop, so you will get a bright white light instead of a yellowish light. I would not do this at home, i would take it to the auto elec and get them to do it, just so things don't short out or blow.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi sidewaysvc

HID upgrades are allowed only on lights that a high beams only so spot lights can be upgraded unless your state laws are different to the east coast. For normal lights (Hi/Lo or Lo only) you can add Halogen 50 or 80+ bulbs but upgrading your wiring loom will show a large improvement. I made my own loom and made it so the left lights and right lights have separate relay contacts so if one fails I still have light. The voltage in the bulbs in the Prado was 11.7v roughly, now 13.2+. The bulbs glow better, make sure you have a good earth. My lo beam never goes off when hi is enable giving a better close in spread

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The links on eBay have interesting pricing range but have a look a Narva or Hella inserts too. The reflector is important as well as the pattern and it must have the left side kick in it

sidewaysvc

yer not 100% sure but think that all hid lights are illigal here yeah apart from spotties i think if anyone knows please fill me in?? so if i change the loom on the last part of the headlights what about all the rest of the wires that connect it and stuff? Yeah old man says hella are sweet as. And what u mean about the left side kick in??

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Call your states machinery dept, they know. Qld and NSW are the same that HID is illegal on lo or hi/lo lights on any vehicle unless they come with HID standard.

sidewaysvc

yer thats what i was thinking what did u mean also my the left side kick in and how do i kno whats a good pattern or not?

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
On vehicles that drive on the left side of the road, all headlights on lo beam have a left side kick in it so you can see the footpath and objects/people on it. This is the opposite on vehicles that drive on the right. I know the Hella and Narva replacements have them but you would need to check on the eBay ones.