GPS Units.

TonyAC

Hello all, just watching the carnage of the Bathurst race and doing some research on GPS units.
This mornings paper had a story regarding the closure of the last map shop in NSW because of dwindling customers. Sad because it is a great shop and I have plenty of maps from them.
One thing led to another and I found myself looking at reviews of Hema Hx-2 Navigator.
Wow, there are plenty of unhappy customers who have purchased this product. Most reviewers out of the 27 I read gave it 1 out of 5 stars, most said it is useless and do not buy.
So, can I ask the community here, what is the best GPS unit out there?
TIA.
Tony

boobook

A small Android tablet that has a GPS and all types of mapping software. Cheaper better and more versatile.

Albynsw

Same here but I use an ipad.
The dedicated units regardless of how good they may or may not be are still one trick ponies, a tablet gives you choice of programs you want to use as well as changing/ adding additional ones in the future if they come available
The other aspect is usually you can run them on your tablet and phone fir no additional cost

Kippie

Samsung 8" tablet with ExploreOz, MemoryMap (Hema maps), WikiCamps and Garmin Earthmate that is bluetooth connected to my Inreach Mini (for the family to track me) for outback travel. For city driving, the same tablet with Waze and Google to find shops etc.
In the evening in camp, I use the same tablet to read Kindle books or watch movies in my rooftop tent.

No head unit has this sort of versatility.

rob_macca67

I agree with using a Tablet, but I always take a dedicated GPS Unit (Garmin) as a backup for recording my Tracklogs & just in case the Tablets/iPads play up through the trip. I had a relatively NEW iPad on which I had all my Trip Planning and other Trip-related info. One-third of the way into my Trip the iPad decided to stop charging. By the time I realised it was down to 10-15% capacity. It was a mad rush to try and transfer all of my trip-related info to my iPhone before it went dead. I was glad I had my Garmin Montana 650 to refer to afterwards

John U

Samsung 8" tablet with ExploreOz, MemoryMap (Hema maps), WikiCamps and Garmin Earthmate that is bluetooth connected to my Inreach Mini (for the family to track me) for outback travel. For city driving, the same tablet with Waze and Google to find shops etc.
In the evening in camp, I use the same tablet to read Kindle books or watch movies in my rooftop tent.

No head unit has this sort of versatility.
I have similar tablet set up. Next time I'd go 10" Android.

It's very surprising that nsw's last map shop has closed as it is always a good idea to have maps to back up devices. Some of the locations I've been to maps are readily available from the local map store. I wouldn't have easy (last minute) access to the same stuff without speciality map shops.

joshinthecity

Yep as per all answers above (just been through this.)
iPad mini (or Android)
Running whatever you like. I'm mixing "Maps.me offline / Gaia / Wikicamps / Waze as the use-case warrants, + a digital speedo / odo off to the side in split screen.

Attachments

• IMG_6904.jpg
    IMG_6904.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6906.jpg
    IMG_6906.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 6

FranksnBeans

Thanks everyone.
Just plug in my already owned iPad with some software.
Too easy, thanks.
Just keep in mind you'll need an ipad with gps fitted, so the cellular models that take a sim card. Otherwise I think you can get a little gps attachment dongle thinga-ma-jig that plugs into it.

Ol' Harley

For a number of years I had a HEMA Navigator. I used to call it "second wife" because there were two voices in the car telling me what I should be doing.

Off road, it was OK. From what I've read there are better units out there, and there are worse. On road, it was next to useless. Coming back from a couple of weeks in the East MacDonnell Ranges a few years ago, it tried to tell me that the best way to get from the NT / SA border to Broken Hill was to drive through the Adelaide CBD (towing a camper trailer). Apparently, this was the "shortest and best route".

I had another similar experience with it in the Victorian high country, and when visiting the Warragamba Dam area it tried to tell me that the best place to turn around was to drive across the dam wall - and down the spillway! :rolleyes: Needless to say, it was in the bin a while back. These days, I rely on old maps, fading eyesight, and the Mark 1 eyeball. Wouldn't take another HEMA product if it was free - I might not get back from whereever it took me.