Change background image

Gotta Love Your Barn Doors!

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by CruisingSned, May 2, 2018.

1. CruisingSned

CruisingSned Member

Bought my HZJ105 Wagon late last year and have been slowly getting it up to scratch.
    Still amazed at how a vehicle with so many km can run so smoothly. It has been serviced every 5000km with records.
    Has a turbo glide kit installed, dual batteries and the Royale mags. Beyond that it is pretty much stock.
    [​IMG]
    So far i have

- changed all the drive train oils
    - changed coolant
    - timing belt kit including tensioner
    - swivel hub kit and all bearings/bushes
    - washed seat belts to allow them to retract (by far the most disgusting job)
    - removed some not so good wiring including a damaged section that appeared to be getting hot.
    - found a loose hose clamp on the turbo that was allowing a small amount of boost to escape (once tightened it was a noticeable change in acceleration)
    - installed a RedArc EGT/Boost gauge.
    - Had full tune up and dyno done - 108bhp out of 4.2l as opposed to work mates race bike who gets nearly double!!
    - removed all the after market wiring that had been installed. It had that stench of dodgy all over it.
    - Had the rust repaired in the front windscreen. Unfortunately i missed this during inspection. would have been a good bargaining tool

As a result of the rust in the front windscreen it leaked. The 2 channels for the cables had filled with dirt and crap over the years add some water and seal in with vinyl floors and it becomes the perfect storm. Passengers side wasn't too bad but drivers side wasn't far off needing some major work. Luckily it ended up with only 1 small hole rusting through.
    Took a lot of wire wheeling and rust converting to remove it all. I know it's not the ideal way to repair it but i'm hoping that by removing the water from the equation it should be fine.
    [​IMG]
    Think this was after the first attack with wire wheel and battery drill. Got the 240V drill after that. Far more grunt and batteries don't go flat all the time.
    [​IMG]
    While floor and seats were out, everything got cleaned. Steam cleaned hood lining.
    [​IMG]
    Seats got warm soapy water and the wet dry vacuum. Amazing and disgusting what comes out of the seats.
    [​IMG]
    Started installing new electrical equipment. Added small fuse block and terminals in the drivers foot well. Will install a voltage divider circuit for my Redarc EGT/Boost gauge. When driving at night to be able to see the old dash lights the Redarc gauge is a bit blinding.
    [​IMG]
    No one uses round trailer plugs any more!!! Thought this would be a better use of the hole.
    [​IMG]
    Have been filling every space i can find with Tectyl. Haven't got any photos, but my OCD took over and i cleaned the inside of all 6 doors. Found the remains of these rivets in the back barn door. Think these were holding a cage over the back window.
    Previous life think it was a Police car out at Broken Hill. Definitely ex NSW government with first 2 years of services done at broken hill.
    [​IMG]
    Currently at the stage of putting everything back together but work commitments and little people are making progress a bit slow. Can't wait to get out for a drive. Will post some more pictures as i get dual battery system up and running and replace rear wheel bearings and some how sneak a 2" lift past the department of finance!
    Thanks for reading.

2. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Nice vehicle mate. Looks like you are doing well with it too. Keep an eye on those EGT's and you'll have a nice, reliable 4WD for a long time to come

Aaron

Jaye likes this.
  3. CruisingSned

CruisingSned Member

I was surprised how stable they are. I even contacted Turbo Glide who were good enough to give me specs for where the EGT probe should be installed and Temps not to exceed.
    Bit of a thanks to Turbo Glide for talking to me. The turbo was installed over 10 years ago by the previous owner.

4. CruisingSned

CruisingSned Member

Bit of progress over the weekend. Didn't take many photos. There's a lot more trim back in.

Floor is back in and kinda like Grandpa in his budgie smugglers. Doesn't quite fit like it used to.
    Hopefully a couple of hours in the sun it should settle down!
    [​IMG]

Think that is enough cables to start. Fuse box will be mounted in the space near the seat belt reeler. Made a mounting frame but didn't take photos.
    [​IMG]

everyone needs a hot glue gun. Bit of support for the crack in the tread panel.

[​IMG]

Jaye, Rags90mod and Aaron Schubert like this.
  5. denmonkey

denmonkey Member

haven't been messing about here have you .
    Kudos for pulling the floor and seats for a clean. Not sure how many would go to that extent.
    I think you at least motivated me to clean my seats :D

6. CruisingSned

CruisingSned Member

Bahahaha
    It started with the best intentions of tidying up the bit of surface rust in the floor before it got nasty.
    My OCD kicked in and I cleaned everything and wired it up how I wanted it
    It did smell really clean till I got loose with the Tectyl.
    Was worth cleaning it all.
    Been wheeling much?
    Youre Newie Based?

7. SPOD_Here

SPOD_Here Active Member

Is there a tailgate convention available for this? Where do you sit for breakfast if not on the tailgate? I smile every time I dangle my legs of the back of the tailgate, seems a shame to have barn doors.

PS, nice work so far

8. CruisingSned

CruisingSned Member

As a bit of an update. Should start it tonight if the battery charges in time. Been sitting for a bit

9. CruisingSned

CruisingSned Member

Hahaha it's a barn door thing :):D

10. denmonkey

denmonkey Member

I know what you mean. Once you're in there and all. I have to go with it whilst the bug strikes otherwise it just doesn't happen.

A little trip up the wattagans a few weeks back . video and images in this post https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.ph...tagans-hill-cimb-short-vid.44007/#post-585927

Did a little run out at Killy last weekend...i think

Heading away to Bylong 4x4 park in a few weeks. cant bloody wait.
    Half way through putting on a bull bar. Should be done tomorrow.

And yeah, Located out at Glendale. Happy to give you a shout when we head out.
    Usually nothing too tough. Might get a bit more adventurous once the bar and winch are on.

cheers Brett

11. CruisingSned

CruisingSned Member

Sounds good.
    Should be up and running in the morning.
    Just spend half an hour looking for a hose clamp that doesn't exist only to loose my work phone in the process and I'm still on call.
    I'm going to bed.
    This is only going to get worse!!!:(:(:(:(