Googs track vehicle requirements.

discomatt

Have never done this track, after reading this thread and some other info about the area it is on the to do list

Gidgee

This could be a source of misinformation. Both the direction and UHF info is incorrect.
I've emailed them but looks to be a corporate email so who knows if it will get fixed. The direction isn't wrong as such, Jenny herself said the sth to nth was generally easier, but the Ceduna locals use 2 ways for obvious reasons. Of course they know the track well and how to drive it. Apparently some recent driver with trailer blew 2 shocks, which means too fast and tyres too hard. It's a brilliant track and I'm really concerned people aren't educating themselves on how to drive it, same goes for the Simpson and others.

Jackolux

Have never done this track, after reading this thread and some other info about the area it is on the to do list
Yeah its a good drive , Kingoonya Pub is worth a visit , we camped a night at the Kingoonya Caravan Park , fire wood supplied there is also a free camp a few hundred yards from the Pub also with fire wood supplied . We decided to spend a few bucks at the CP and Pub .
The old Stuart Hwy used to go through Kingoonya when it was all dirt , I fill my motorbike there in 1972 , that was a adventure ride back then .
There is now a card in the slot fuel in Kingoonya .

I'm being harsh about self absorbed, but reading the sign makes it pretty clear! To be fair it's a bit of a trek back to town to get a sand flag, if you can find one, so worth spreading the word. Bit baffled at the shyness of people using the CB though, but clearly I'm not the only one. View attachment 68432
Yeah cool if you are there in front of sign. fair call on self absorbed but misinformation from multiple sources if you are gathering info for planning a trip is a bit hard..

Jackolux

I've emailed them but looks to be a corporate email so who knows if it will get fixed. The direction isn't wrong as such, Jenny herself said the sth to nth was generally easier, but the Ceduna locals use 2 ways for obvious reasons. Of course they know the track well and how to drive it. Apparently some recent driver with trailer blew 2 shocks, which means too fast and tyres too hard. It's a brilliant track and I'm really concerned people aren't educating themselves on how to drive it, same goes for the Simpson and others.
I will say the Nth to Sth was the easier way by far , at least it was last June , like I said above the blokes from Ceduna that had done Googs many times said they had never seen it as rough and we were going the right way but I guess conditions change .
The lady behind the bar at the Pub did say it was a one way track and not to tow trailers , I don't know how long she had been there but when we rang to get the permits and said we were traveling Nth to Sth and towing campers it was all good .

Gidgee

Yeah cool if you are there in front of sign. fair call on self absorbed but misinformation from multiple sources if you are gathering info for planning a trip is a bit hard..
Yeah, as I said I was being a bit harsh, more swayed by people refusing to use CH18 not only proactively but also not even bothering to respond (yes they heard me and knew exacly where I was because they'd pulled over for us), and crazy people putting the sand flag on the rear vehicle with none on the front! :)

Yeah its a good drive , Kingoonya Pub is worth a visit , we camped a night at the Kingoonya Caravan Park , fire wood supplied there is also a free camp a few hundred yards from the Pub also with fire wood supplied . We decided to spend a few bucks at the CP and Pub .
Good on ya, really lovely people in pub and CP if you take the time to get to know them, and IMHO well worth the couple of $ and less legwork to use the CP behind the pub if not full. Sunday night is Pizza night at the pub, otherwise the burgers are a challenge to get through (but you can get a status sticker if you do), and the rest of the meals are huge. Best of all, they don't jack up the beer prices like Glendambo does which is great in a very remote area. Normally June long weekend would have been the Kamp oven Kookoff competition but of course they had to cancel this year. Gotta love a town where outdoor fires to sit around are common in winter :)

4Tunner

Have done the track (south to north) and would say having a few inches of lift would be desirable with the amount of Wombat holes on the larger dunes. Having said that you will still get through with correct tyre pressure , just may need to spend some extra time on the shovel and having a few goes on the bigger dunes. Make sure you have a sand flag and listen to your UHF on channel 18. Enjoy

ChunkyDunc

Jackolux, I think we met you guys on the track last year I was in a Troopy and my mate in his 79 series. My mate in the ute had a chat to you guys and you mentioned about the corrugations further north from where we were?

Anyway as you may have gathered by now we were travelling South to North and the track was pretty cut up on some of the dunes. Usual stuff vehicles had been travelling with too high a tyre pressure, too much speed and trying to dig themselves out of bogs with spinning tyres. I was having power issues so I ran at 16psi and my mate who had no issues at about 26psi. I reckon you could do the run without a lift but it would help a bit with the comfort. A lift only lifts the vehicle body and not the dangle bits like your diff etc only bigger tyres will help there.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. We're looking at doing it again next year on our way to do the Maddigan Line.

cheers

Dunc

boobook

The old Stuart Hwy used to go through Kingoonya when it was all dirt , I fill my motorbike there in 1972 , that was a adventure ride back then .
There is now a card in the slot fuel in Kingoonya .

Kingoonya is a ripper spot all right. I always camp next to the railway. Lots of wood for fires there too. Nothing like a 1.5km freight train passing within about 10m of your tent every hour all night.

I hope to get there in Oct if they let Victorians into SA. Last time I went there was only diesel I think. Do you know if it sells petrol? One potential person on our trip has a petrol. He can fill up at Glendambo but every drop will count on the trip.

puzzle

It got a lot of traffic last weekend with a number of trailers and dirt bikes, but should be still fairly easy if just doing the main track. Low tyre pressure is all you need, start with 20 depending on your weight/sidewalls and adjust if needed (more likely down than up). Side track to Nalara/Lois Rocks is quite corrugated and very infrequently travelled so have a backup plan. Recovery tracks and shovel recommended but likely not needed unless you do the wrong thing or some bozo has chewed up a dune really badly.

Please carry a 3m sand flag and fit it, unlike some of the self absorbed who think it's a one way track (Jenny who created it with Goog often travels south returning from the memorial). Please use CH18 and actually call out your location/heading periodically. Finally, these should be obvious, if you're heading north, please don't say you're heading south ;), and if you're in a convoy and and the only one with a sand flag then it's pretty close to useless if you're tail end charlie.
Hiya we went through with our camper
It got a lot of traffic last weekend with a number of trailers and dirt bikes, but should be still fairly easy if just doing the main track. Low tyre pressure is all you need, start with 20 depending on your weight/sidewalls and adjust if needed (more likely down than up). Side track to Nalara/Lois Rocks is quite corrugated and very infrequently travelled so have a backup plan. Recovery tracks and shovel recommended but likely not needed unless you do the wrong thing or some bozo has chewed up a dune really badly.

Please carry a 3m sand flag and fit it, unlike some of the self absorbed who think it's a one way track (Jenny who created it with Goog often travels south returning from the memorial). Please use CH18 and actually call out your location/heading periodically. Finally, these should be obvious, if you're heading north, please don't say you're heading south ;), and if you're in a convoy and and the only one with a sand flag then it's pretty close to useless if you're tail end charlie.
We were on the track for a few days that week & came across 1 lot of people towing a 6x4 trailer & 5 otger cars over the

puzzle

Kingoonya is a ripper spot all right. I always camp next to the railway. Lots of wood for fires there too. Nothing like a 1.5km freight train passing within about 10m of your tent every hour all night.

I hope to get there in Oct if they let Victorians into SA. Last time I went there was only diesel I think. Do you know if it sells petrol? One potential person on our trip has a petrol. He can fill up at Glendambo but every drop will count on the trip.
Hi we went through couple weeks ago they do have 91.
The pub do an awesome meal caravan park is cheap and has everything there including nice hot showers tea & coffee & washing liquid all supplied for the cost of $20.
The free camp is a good set up but i figure supporting the locals is a great when driving through these towns .
Last weekend, but before all the traffic. High range all the time, auto as well, MY18 Colorado. I can imagine that the weekend traffic would have chewed it up though - if people can't be bothered to fit flags, use the CB, and not know south from north then I doubt they let their tyres down ;)

FWIW, I did *not* turn traction control off as some recommend in sand, seems foolish to me as it prevents wheel spin, and given how smooth and easy we went up and over, clearly was the right choice.

Might be a good place to post this for those not believing in letting your tyres down:
We crossed the track a couple days before that weekend & the track was already deeply rutted out in several areas but all pretty easy with the camper in tow .Only came across a handful of people on the track which was great & yep some people couldn't care less about responding on the UHF .‍♀