Google maps v CamperX v Wikicamps

Now that the products are becoming more mature, looking at 2 major uses
Planning a trip ahead
Whilst on a random trip adding in points of interest, notes and photos (for personal use)

dabbler

Wikicamps augmented by other apps for me. I mainly use in-car GPS for navigation.

On most major roads the Wikicamps navigation is as good as most but many people use the Trip Planner as a record not navigation. It uses the free developer maps from Google. In unusual locations, they all have faults in my experience. The WC user group on FB is pretty friendly most of the time. It also has a strong built-in chat forum. The user managed database is comprehensive.

Google Maps doesn't list every camp or travel related site. Pretty useless for most preplanning apart from "which way to I go from A to B via C ?".

Don't know much about CamperX but if it links to Hema and you a Hema use it could be good value.

Triton14

Because I use a handheld GPS a lot when traveling offroad I often use Garmin mapsource/Basecamp software when planning a trip.
If mainly used for main roads & sights then Google earth

Swaggie

Because I use a handheld GPS a lot when traveling offroad I often use Garmin mapsource/Basecamp software when planning a trip.
If mainly used for main roads & sights then Google earth

That’s getting old now,I havnt looked at it in awhile but it was quite good years ago. One of the pitfalls i saw back then is auto rerouting on 4wd tracks,I thought people could get into real strife ….

TYNO87

I don’t use it for navigation at all, but for trip planning, making sure you don’t miss anything, making sure you don’t stay in a dump of a campsite/ caravan park when there’s a gem just down the road, etc wiki camps is awesome. The updates are brilliant too, can find out road conditions, who’s got fuel, fuel prices, condition of amenities etc. People upload heaps of photos so you can see where you’re heading. Super easy to ad waypoints as you go, can make notes etc. I really wish I’d had it sooner.

Triton14

That’s getting old now,I havnt looked at it in awhile but it was quite good years ago. One of the pitfalls i saw back then is auto rerouting on 4wd tracks,I thought people could get into real strife ….
You are probably right swaggie.
I wouldnt use it solely as a on bitumen or offroad system, I did once & it re routed me for no reason & make the trip another 15km longer than it had to be.

I also download maps to Avenza as well which I think is pretty good for an offline map, the only thing that frustrates with that is while using Avenza the screen wont stay on & goes into sleep mode as per the phone/tablet setting. If your using the map it should just stay on. I have looks at all the setting & cant find a fix for that..................annoying!

CTL

@brianvicki just started a 4 week trip. As with previous trips I commenced with free RACQ paper maps (currently printed by Hema) to plan the basic route and rough overnight stops. I need to see the “overall picture”. I then jump on Wikicamps on the tablet to research camp ground recommendations. My initial overnight stop may vary depending on that research. I add the overnight stops to the Wikicamps trip planner.
For planning offroad day trips and/or outback dirt road trips, I utilise Hema paper maps and Hema 4WD Maps

rob_macca67

It comes down to how u use BaseCamp. (Mapsource is way too out of date). I've been using BaseCamp for years now as my main track/route creator & modifier. I also store ALL my GPX files from previous Trips as well GPX files that I have sourced off the WEB from various other sites. Its has been brilliant for trip planning and creating the required GPX file that you then can simply follow on the GPS. I also use various other Websites and Apps to research the places to visit then simply upload this into Basecamp to create the overall TRIP that I want to follow containing the tracklog that I simply follow plus ALL the POI's I want to visit along the way. I haven't come across anything that is as flexible as Basecamp (that also includes Ozi-Explore) when creating Routes, then converting to tracklogs, etc... You can then manipulate the GPX file to meet exactly where you are planning to go... As I said, I haven't seen anything that beats it - not any of the Hema products either... but as I said at the beginning, I've been using BC for years and know it inside and out... It's a pity that Garmin no longer supports it and what they have replaced it with is absolute rubbish IMO.
Also with BC you can download your GPX files in GDB format which is like zipping your GPX files when they become large in size...

Swaggie

I also download maps to Avenza as well which I think is pretty good for an offline map, the only thing that frustrates with that is while using Avenza the screen wont stay on & goes into sleep mode as per the phone/tablet setting. If your using the map it should just stay on. I have looks at all the setting & cant find a fix for that..................annoying!
Avenza

1F7A59F2-AFD4-43BF-B618-033F77330E15.jpeg
C3DB7777-019D-41E5-826B-672DE0E27D71.jpeg

I had the same problem with the Australian Topo Maps app, ended up downloading an app called Wakey which allows you to choose apps that stay 'awake' and stops your phone going to sleep when in use. I think it cost me $2 - cheap fix for the frustration of having to tap the screen every 30 seconds.