Good year tyres ????

Redrock

Hi I'm new to your forum, I need to replace the tyres on my car, pajero gen 2 auto 3.0, currently Goodyear have buy three get one free, I have seen a few reviews on other brands but nothing on this brand, thoughts please? Looking at a 50/50 I saw them at the 4x4 show looked ok

03hilux

Do your size tyres qualify for the discount? Usually, when tyre shops have these sorts of deals, it is not across the entire range.

Depending on what you do driving wise with your paj, any big name (GY, Bridgestone,Yokohama, etc) will be sufficient

Redrock

They had a stand at the 4x4 show here in Melbourne and its right across there tyre range no restrictions

BTFIVO

Good Year have a massive R&D facility as they are pretty well the most technologically advanced tyre on the market. They got all their help from clients such as the US military, just as Banks Diesel did, and Good Year have state of the art design software as well. Some people will whinge about a tyre not lasting 120,000klms, but with the likes of satisfying all the criteria, longevity sometimes is a sacrifice for grip and performance especially in wet conditions. I have had a few sets of Wrangler DuraTrac and hands down are awesome. Mate had the Silent Armour AT and he loved them more than the Falken Wildpeaks and the set of Geolandars he had. For the price at the present (3 for 4), you cannot go wrong as far as a quality product. My next set will be Wrangler again. No matter what tyre you buy, make sure they are LT (Light Truck) rated. Most Good Year tyres in Australia are, but in the US they sell "P" (Passenger) rated which are less rugged in design, more likely to puncture if in that terrain/circumstances.

Blk120

I had a set of MTR's on a surf... I highly rate them.. They got a little noisy as they wore down, but that's muddies I spose....

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
A member here; Discomatt, has the new MTR's on his disco & he raves about them. Have seen them in action & they are very impressive.:D

Collie2012

Are MTR's worth the premium you pay over something like MAxxis 764's? Also how do you know if MTR's are LT?

Heard the MTR's can be a little bit skittish in the mud. Not sure if there us any truth to that as I have never seen them in action.

BTFIVO

Both are a good tyre. If you don't want or have the money, buy 764's. But if the sale will land you a set of MTR for same price, why not try them out, then you can decide another set later or not but at least getting the opportunity to own a set. Both are a good tyre. In deep mud, yes, MTR would be better as the adjacent tread pattern in the centre of the tyre works as a barrier to stop suction between each side of the main tread bars. Any LT rated tyre will have "LT" marked on them. Eg "LT265/75/16". If there is no LT and only a number and no LT marking present on the sidewall then it won't be an LT rated tyre.

discomatt

yes the MTR is a LT tyre, I have the kevlar's which are supposed to have a better side wall construction but that could just be a gimmick and smart marketing.
Over all they are a great tyre and offer excellent traction in all conditions and when deflated don't balloon out to much making the side wall vonurable to damage while they still extend the tread nicely and mold over rocks well, if that makes sence.
Are they worth the extra $$ time will tell as I haven't had them for long but very happy so far

LeighP

I have Goodyear Silent Armor A/T (kevlar) tyres on my Jeep...surprisingly, I find them pretty good, as I'm not a fan of Goodyear tyres.
Mine are made in Canada, but I'm told there are also some sizes of Silent Armor made in Indonesia...which do not enjoy a good reputation, so I'd check on where your Goodyears are coming from.

Collie2012

Thanks for the info, picked them up today. Just fyi this was the country of manufacture details:

Code on tyre = PJ
THE GOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY
FAYETTEVILLE
NORTH CAROLINA
UNITED STATES

muc the truck

I had a set of MTR's on a surf... I highly rate them.. They got a little noisy as they wore down, but that's muddies I spose....

most of the time when a tyre gets noisy its because it needs to be balanced again . During the life of a set of tyres they should be balanced at least 3 times . That almost never happens.