Good Cheap GPS

dearot

Hi,

I am new to 4wd and thinking to get a gps when offroading. What is ,if available, a good cheap gps that i can use for offroading? Thanks

Adventure guy

Hi,

I am new to 4wd and thinking to get a gps when offroading. What is ,if available, a good cheap gps that i can use for offroading? Thanks

Welcome dearot, personally I would stick with brands like Explorist and Garmin.
The new series of Explorist have a quicker processing speed and the base model is fine, with the units having more features as they go up in price, sd ports, more comprehensive maps loaded, usb port,etc,etc.
As for accessories, probably a usb cable, dc leed and a dash bracket ??

Do some comparing, get down to two or three choices and find a bargain.

Check out a few of the major camping stores, as I know some still have some superseded stock that may be cheap ?

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
There are also several discussions here about cracking some of the cheaper GPS units to allow for Ozi etc to be installed and run seperately to the normal street nav software. Might be an option for you.

As stated above, GPS Australia also have these discussions

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
A good shop is Johnny Appleseed Your Garmin GPS and TomTom GPS shop for GPS Australia. Set a budget and feature list but the Garmin eTrek and GPS60 series I have had experience with and recommend. It is your choice so look around and compare pricing on ebay, etc and find something you like. All the handhelds like the etrek and GPS60 need a seprate purchase of car charger and mount so keep that in mind.