goin for a drive (maybe)

GippsSurfer

Went for a drive

Hey all, Just letting anyone who cares or wants to come for a drive that I might be going for a little drive up beyond the Walhalla area.. It is not 100% definate yet (will know tonight 9pm-ish)

If it is a goer - I will post up a meeting point and time if anyone wants to come...

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Wanna come down to Bunyip Forest for a short drive? I have to do a recce for a club trip next weekend. Will leave from Tonimbuk and not till after lunch.

Nick

GippsSurfer

Maybe next time Nick... Already had this one planned with a mate and thought I would see if anyone else wanted to come...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested, we are leaving Morwell at 9:30am (From Horizon petrol station) and making our way to Walhalla and beyond... weather (and track conditions) allowing, we will travel from Walhalla to Store point via Deep Creek No 2 and Army tracks... then back towards the dam wall along Donnelly Crk Rd.

If you do decide to come, I'm the one in the blue Hilux Surf.. We will start on UHF Ch 10 and go from there...

Will put up some pics when I get a chance...

Cheers..

GippsSurfer

well....

What a day...

We left Morwell as planned at 9:30 and headed up to Walhalla...

Did the usual tourist stuff and went and got a "miners right" and a pan (PLASTIC!!) to take on our trip and do a little prospecting on our way..

With the wild weather that we were having down in the Latrobe Valley I didnt hold my breath for decent weather up in the ranges - How wrong was I??? - Although a little windy, it was a fantastic day out in the scrub...

We gave the Deep Creek tracks a wide berth after discussing them with another mate that has done them in a well modified 4 runner..

So we took Binn's Rd from Walhalla Rd to the start of Army Track and followed that all the way down to the creek crossing at Fultons creek. We decided that this was a good spot for a bite to eat, so we set up our rugs and other stuff for the kids and had a lovely lunch in the bush...

The kids decided to do some "gold hunting" of their own and came back with numerous specimens of quartz for us fathers to have a look at... Not being a geologist myself, all of them looked alright, so we ended up taking about 2kg or so of rock home with us...

All packed up and ready to go on, we crossed the creek (6 inches deep) and headed up the spur via a number of switchbacks until we got to the ridge line... boy was it windy up there!! We followed the ridge (and hence Army Trk) all the way to Williamsons Spur track and again turned into Army Trk a little further on...

I wasnt prepared for what came next... Steep - Slippery - Shale - Loose gravel.... Hold on - Down we go.... WOOOOO HOOOO!!!!! what a great little section of track the last bit is... and onto Donnelly Crk Rd... Checked out Lloyds Hut and then continued on down to the Whitestar creek crossing for some gold panning...

We all had a few goes but unfortunately non of us had a "show of color"... And the little fella ended up soaked from falling in the creek.... DOH!!

After a little mucking around, we continued on towards the Thompson dam and went past all the usual stuff (o'tooles etc...)

After not seeing much in the way of anything on the road, there was a small branch on the road, so I called out on the radio - Watch out for the tree... hahahaha.... Round the next bend - a 2ft monster lying across the road - Shouldnt have opened my mouth!!!

What to do??? Try and cut it with my $100 GMC 12inch chain saw?? turn back? try and go over??

Grabbed the little chainsaw and like a hot knife through butter, started attacking said tree... only needed to cut a bit here and a bit there and we were able to move/drag it out of the way... and on we went...

We continued on and got to Jorgensons Hut and a bloke on a motorbike flagged us down - His 17 year old son had somehow hit a tree and was in desperate need of assistance.... we turned around and headed back to O'Tooles flats to find the poor bugger sitting on his bike unable to move his left leg... OUCH was not the word!...

We managed to get him off his bike and into the ONLY spare seat we had in the 2 vehicles and started on the painfully (literally for him) slow journey back to civilization... What would normally take about 3/4 an hour (along donnelly crk rd) from O'Tooles to the Thompson Dam took the best part of 2 and a half... every bump had the poor kid screaming in pain...

We managed to get an ambulance to meet us at the Erica pub and the 17 year old was eventually flown off (Chopper) to Melbourne... and the worst bit for his father - he had let his Ambulance cover expire a little while ago - so a $120 per year bill, has turned into around a $10,000 joy flight.... OUCH!

As the Erica pub was still open, we decided to have a counter meal for tea (Before the kids started complaining of starvation) and a good feed was had by all..

What a day...

Attachments

• 100_4234 (Medium).JPG
    100_4234 (Medium).JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_4237 (Medium).JPG
    100_4237 (Medium).JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_4238 (Medium).JPG
    100_4238 (Medium).JPG
    180 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Gunna

Great report Rob and well done! helping out those in need.
I bet he will never let his ambulance subscription expire ever again. :eek:

Grumpy

Good report there Rob sorry we were at work fighting yet another open cut fire, we had a similar experience when Robs broke his leg going into the water wheel at Morning Star, had to be airlifted out also but at least he had kept up his ambulance cover, these couple of events should be a great reminder for all just how important ambulance cover is in the bush.

BUSHNUT

Great trip report . Yes just goes to show the importance of ambulance cover .

Murphy's law in full flight .

Tracks seem to be fairly dry by t6he look of it.

What did O'Tooles look like ?

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Good report GS.
Shame we coudn't meet up. Next time. I didn't leave to head for the tracks until 3:30pm!
What was the prob with the Deep Creek tks?
Maybe you could offer your fortune (gold) to the guy with the broken leg to help pay for his trip?? :)
It's always nice to offer help when it's needed.
Nick

GippsSurfer

Great report Rob

Hope you get something out of the Quartz

Havent had a look yet... will crush it up this weekend (Hopefully)

Great trip report . Yes just goes to show the importance of ambulance cover .

Murphy's law in full flight .

Tracks seem to be fairly dry by t6he look of it.

What did O'Tooles look like ?

Tracks were in very good condition.. O'Tooles - From what I could see from the road (Gates accross it so it can fix itself...) it looked ok so I cant see what the ranger was on about - but I couldntreally see that much either....

Good report GS.
Shame we coudn't meet up. Next time. I didn't leave to head for the tracks until 3:30pm!
What was the prob with the Deep Creek tks?
Maybe you could offer your fortune (gold) to the guy with the broken leg to help pay for his trip?? :)
It's always nice to offer help when it's needed.
Nick

Deep Creek tracks...

Hmm...

Stock Hilux Surf , slightly modded Cruiser and unknown tracks is not all that fun if you get stuck...

I couldnt raise anyone on UHF Ch5 for the young fella that smashed his leg - and I didnt fancy walking out of the area with the missus and 3 kids + my mates family if we came to grief...

I would be more than willing to give it a crack with more than just one other vehicle... (and some M/T's)

+ it was BUCKETING down in Morwell / Moe when we left, so we didnt give it a go in case the tracks were too greasy... (Both running A/T's)

Cheers all...

knot_gillty

Being the other car in the convoy and the "ambulance driver" for the young bloke i can confirm the amount of pain he was in. I spoke to the young blokes dad tonight to see how "our" patient was going and he has had is leg fixed up with a few screws and rods. He will be spending the rest of the week in hospital. His mother had ambulance cover and only being 17 was covered under this. The only good thing to happen for him i reckon.

Hind sight says we should have driven ahead and called the ambo's with waypoints to airlift him out. That was the advice from the ambo's.

I also suggested to the dad tonight that maybe they add a "space blanket" and some food rations to their day packs in case of something like this happening again.

blackkluger

Hi guys, im only new, but im wanting to go on easy 4wd tracks. Im from Frankston vic, anyone know of tracks close to home?

I havent got a proper 4wd so nothing really difficult. I tried looking at the tracks here but unless i know where they are and search each one individually, i have no idea whether they are close or not.

The trip above sounds good, maybe in summer for my car lol

GippsSurfer

I would suggest going with a mate or 2... it should be doable (Maybe even a RAV or X-Trail but if it is wet, the tracks become quite greasy and not really flash for highway tires...

Post up an intro and tell us about your vehicle and I'm sure lots of people will be able to suggest suitable tracks near you...

blackkluger

2008 Kluger, 20cm ground clearance, roads tires, there is no other choice for these 19" rims lol. Have thought about downsizing to 16" even with tougher tires(and alot cheaper), bigger tread. Nudge bar, tow bar, side steps. A few people off the toyota forum have gone a little bush and their cars seem to go well, unfortunately unlike the rav4, this car hasnt got 4wd lock.

PS: if im not meant to post this here im sorry, pls advise.

Gunna

2008 Kluger, 20cm ground clearance, roads tires, there is no other choice for these 19" rims lol. Have thought about downsizing to 16" even with tougher tires(and alot cheaper), bigger tread. Nudge bar, tow bar, side steps. A few people off the toyota forum have gone a little bush and their cars seem to go well, unfortunately unlike the rav4, this car hasnt got 4wd lock.

PS: if im not meant to post this here im sorry, pls advise.

Hey Blackkluger try introducing yourself in this thread
New Member Introductions - 4x4 Earth
you're sure to get the info you need from this forum :D