GME XRS UHF questions

Baggs71

found a couple of videos.
and i found a couple of promo videos too.
however i have questions.

is it true if im in the bush and need help in an emergency the xrs is capable of listing copper and emergency service freqs?

is it true if a mate has the same radio he and i can see each other on map via blue toothed phones from the xrs head unit???

if this is true then is this the best uhf in the world for 4x4 community?

Richard Krenn

I've had an XRS radio for a few years now.
1st question: I'm not aware of that, the radio can only transmit on the normal 80 channels like all UHF radios.
2nd question: yes it can do that. GME makes great radios and crappy applications. The software has bugs and you either need phone service or to download the maps beforhand. This is a pain in the GME app.
You are overlooking some of the more important features, 1. build quality, 2. ability to update firmware, 3. scanning speed, 4. display, 5.magnetic clip (this is fantastic).
It is a great radion and reccomend it to all my friends.
hope that helps.

Baggs71

thanks a lot..ive always run gme handhelds and car mounts and vhfs...
this current build project needs a uhf..so was very curious about the xrs

cheers

Rusty Panels

I have just installed an XRS in my Everest. I liked it because of the size and being able to mount the main unit under the dash. I had already fitted a Lightforce switch facia panel for the driving light switch so simply adding an RJ45 microphone socket to the panel was easy. So, all that is visible is the mike which controls the lot. I haven't played with it much (the radio that is!) but it seems pretty clever and the scanning of 80 channels is super fast. The audio from the mike is nice and clear even when it's sitting in the cradle next to my knee.

I've had a couple of GME radios myself and never had an issue with them. We also had them in the RFS fire trucks for years and had no problems that I'm aware of apart from snapping the odd antenna off on trees which is hardly the fault of the radio.

I believe the location function will only work through the app providing you have phone coverage at the time. When you transmit it drops a pin on your location which can be seen by someone running the same radio and app.

John U

is it true if im in the bush and need help in an emergency the xrs is capable of listing copper and emergency service freqs?
I made this up. It can be printed in colour and folded over, laminated, and fits nicely behind you sun visor. Have made a few up. Saves remembering all the channels.
1620088725700.png

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I am keen to look at replacing my Icom, maybe I'm getting old and I know that I have lost some hearing in one ear, but I am looking for something with good speech intelligibility and the current unit seems to be slightly distorted at the volume I need, so might go and have a listen to the GME.

cheers

FranksnBeans

I am keen to look at replacing my Icom, maybe I'm getting old and I know that I have lost some hearing in one ear, but I am looking for something with good speech intelligibility and the current unit seems to be slightly distorted at the volume I need, so might go and have a listen to the GME.

cheers
Can confirm the GME xrs has excellent sound. I can hear it clearly even in an old truck with the windows down. I only have the 330c so doesn't have the 2nd speaker on the unit, just the speaker on the mic. If you're hard of hearing or worried it won't be loud enough then get the 370c, it's not much more anyway in terms of cost.

Rusty Panels

Can confirm the GME xrs has excellent sound. I can hear it clearly even in an old truck with the windows down. I only have the 330c so doesn't have the 2nd speaker on the unit, just the speaker on the mic. If you're hard of hearing or worried it won't be loud enough then get the 370c, it's not much more anyway in terms of cost.
2nd speaker is only a plugin. There is a small socket in the main unit that you can plug an external speaker into.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Frank,

might go and have a look and listen this week

I have connected the Icoms analogue out to the aux in on the stereo but it is the speech intelligibility that I am chasing

cheers

boobook

The other good thing is that it can scan all 80 channels in 1.3 seconds. Most take 4 to 8 seconds and some up to 40.

Chatty

found a couple of videos.
and i found a couple of promo videos too.
however i have questions.

is it true if a mate has the same radio he and i can see each other on map via blue toothed phones from the xrs head unit???

if this is true then is this the best uhf in the world for 4x4 community?
Great radio, love ours. Answering your questions:

The XRS can monitor a large range of frequencies and the software makes programming them relatively easy, although you will head butt the dashboard a few times through the process. But, it can only monitor non-digital frequencies and the emergency services are increasingly switching to digital services for security and confidentiality purposes.
BUT you can't transmit on any but the standard 80 UHF CB channels - so you can't call the cops, ambos or anyone else directly on their frequencies.

In theory you can use the radios to send your location tag to others when you transmit, but you would have to be within receiving/transmit range of each other - so forget trying to tag each other any more than a few kilometres apart.
As others have said, the software has its problems.

Is this the best 4WD radio? It's good, I think it's great, but I would not say that any particular "top range" radio is the best 4WD radio. They all have their pros and cons.
But being able to update the radio software and features is a definite plus.

Rusty Panels

I think you'll find that any UHF frequencies used by the NSW Police are now digital. It is also quite possible that they will soon if not already be using encryption which will mean that there is no way of monitoring their frequencies even with a digital scanner.
It may be the same with other agencies that use the GRN (Government Radio Network.)

Chatty

I think you'll find that any UHF frequencies used by the NSW Police are now digital. It is also quite possible that they will soon if not already be using encryption which will mean that there is no way of monitoring their frequencies even with a digital scanner.
It may be the same with other agencies that use the GRN (Government Radio Network.)
Yeah, I forgot about the encryption as well. I think you're correct about the GRN.