Giantz 12v air compressor

Triton14

While I have no doubt the ARB is a far superior unit to most others its also probably about 4 times the price of other twins.
Sure you get what you pay for but for the average joe the other unit do the job but take a little longer to inflate & also have good longevity.

Its the "must haves" people that love the idea of being able to save 20 seconds per tyre & that have that sort of coin to drop.
All good if you can write it odd against a business but many cant!

At the end of the day buy what you can afford, save on the compressor to spend on other gear.......................the need for other gear never ends.

Each to their own like all 4x4 & camping gear.

boobook

At the end of the day buy what you can afford, save on the compressor to spend on other gear.......................the need for other gear never ends.

Each to their own like all 4x4 & camping gear.

I think that is right in some circumstances Triton, if there are enough people around, and it's not too far to a servo, then any air compressor is probably good enough - If you have hundreds of km to travel after being on the sand, and no cars for days then an air compressor becomes a vital piece of equipment. I had a compressor fail on the Hay River track and vowed never to let that happen again. I now have 2 completely independent compressor systems in my vehicle, and since I had to buy and install them anyway, I went for quality ones that could do my camper as well as my 4wd with a 100% duty cycle, without holding others up. It's not about speed, it's about not slow and about reliable. I am sure some think this is over the top, but I risk adverse when it comes to some aspects of going bush. I really don't want the hassle of unreliable crap. It can also power air tools, and ( usually) reseat a tyre ok.

Indeed, buying 4wd gear never ends. But I maintain that a compressor for some at least is an important piece of gear where you should spend as much as is necessary. Also if you install it in the vehicle, you want one that will be around for a long time. IMHO if compressor is up to Mk3 or Mk4, it's a very good indication that earlier versions had problems and were taken off the market. Soon there will be a Mk 4 or 5

It's not fun or safe trying to air up as little as possible for weeks if you have a broken compressor. Been there, but never again.

Last edited:

mikehzz

I've had the Kings double barrel for quite a while and it has been fine, no complaints. I also carry a Ryobi rattle gun so I bought the Ryobi tyre inflater that runs off the same battery as a backup to the Kings. It's slow but does work and it's very light and takes up very little space. Good for pumping up balls and bikes as well.

Petunia

1 compressor @ $400
or
4 compressors @ $100
over 10 years + the inevitable cheapy going catty wompus out behind Mukadilla on a public holiday.

Personally, if i ever did let me tires down, i be going best i can afford, that has a rebuild kit, and buying the rebuild kit if i remotely thought it go catty wompus on me, i can take a day out in my itinerary to do recon.

i was croozin up the M1,nob overtakes, [100klm/h +] 4 almost flat tires then pulls in same sevo, pumps them up, and relocates in the same hurry....... been in Glasshouse? drove to Forestglen on deflated tires at hiway speed obviously they were good tires?

1 compressor @ $400
or
4 compressors @ $100
over 10 years + the inevitable cheapy going catty wompus out behind Mukadilla on a public holiday.

Personally, if i ever did let me tires down, i be going best i can afford, that has a rebuild kit, and buying the rebuild kit if i remotely thought it go catty wompus on me, i can take a day out in my itinerary to do recon.

i was croozin up the M1,nob overtakes, [100klm/h +] 4 almost flat tires then pulls in same sevo, pumps them up, and relocates in the same hurry....... been in Glasshouse? drove to Forestglen on deflated tires at hiway speed obviously they were good tires?
The kings twin compressor sells for $240-ish. So it's not a "cheap" unit necessarily but not a premium product either.

In terms of spares I'm not going to be carrying a rebuild kit for an air compressor. I carry spare wheel bearings, full set of belts and filters, oil and brake fluid and a set of tools. I'm not about to start rebuilding an air compressor on the side of the road. If it craps out somewhere I will drive slowly to the next town.

There is a limit to how much stuff you can take with you. There is a long list of things I'd want to be able to fix on the side of a track but my compressor is somewhere down the bottom.

Petunia

The kings twin compressor sells for $240-ish. So it's not a "cheap" unit necessarily but not a premium product either.

In terms of spares I'm not going to be carrying a rebuild kit for an air compressor. I carry spare wheel bearings, full set of belts and filters, oil and brake fluid and a set of tools. I'm not about to start rebuilding an air compressor on the side of the road. If it craps out somewhere I will drive slowly to the next town.

There is a limit to how much stuff you can take with you. There is a long list of things I'd want to be able to fix on the side of a track but my compressor is somewhere down the bottom.
Fair, but the next town out there is 200 - 400 klm away?
So you do an iconic trek .... and take three weeks to do 200klm ... yeah i'm never in a hurry but i will rebuild a compressor, thanx

I do see your point I have seen people with 44 gallons of diesel on board, two spare spring leaves, and god only know what else/ People have different values
I can accept a persons level of spares up to a point, i would not carry springs for example, i have 2 batteries, set of jumper leads and half a pack of welding rods.

Ron0z

It can also power air tools, and ( usually) reseat a tyre ok.
That's a very interesting statement. First, power tools take huge volumes of air, but it was the other point that caught my attention - reseat a tyre. I imagine if air pressure is lowered too much it's possible the bead will shift from the rim. (That strikes me as a pretty horrible thing to happen.) Garages that fit tyres have big compressors to blast so much air into the tyre that the side walls blow wide, seal against the rim, and 'bang' (we've all heard the sound of them popping into place) the bead settles into its rightful place and the air pressure is set. Any portable compressor that can do that would be a beauty!

Petunia

Any portable compressor that can do that would be a beauty!
Any portable can
have you heard of the rachet strap round the tread
minimalises the gap air can escape
yes tyre fitters have a big one, compressor
but you can also observe them manipulating the tyre for least air gap

then lets discuss the explosive method with simple deodorant:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: CTL

boobook

That's a very interesting statement. First, power tools take huge volumes of air, but it was the other point that caught my attention - reseat a tyre. I imagine if air pressure is lowered too much it's possible the bead will shift from the rim. (That strikes me as a pretty horrible thing to happen.) Garages that fit tyres have big compressors to blast so much air into the tyre that the side walls blow wide, seal against the rim, and 'bang' (we've all heard the sound of them popping into place) the bead settles into its rightful place and the air pressure is set. Any portable compressor that can do that would be a beauty!
Try it. Seeing is believing I guess.

The two times I have had to reseat the tyre while away were both to repair it. Never had a tyre come off the rim through lack of pressure. Touch wood. I know I should use a ratchet strap as suggested, but I just push the tyre against the rim as much as possuble and so that it eventually grabs and inflates.

They go bang ( or pop) with a little compressor too. That's about air pressure, not air volume per minute.

Last edited:

cam04

I’m unfortunately quite experienced at reseating beads. I’ve have never needed a ratchet strap. Just start the compressor running and manipulate the tyre until the rubber starts to seal then clear out until the beads pop. Not too difficult at all. I’ve done up to 35’s. You do need to take the weight of the car off the tyre first though.

Albynsw

I have only needed to do it once. I tried the ratchet strap with no joy and found the best way was to stand the tyre up and hit the tread hard with a hammer whilst inflating until the beads grab and then let them seat themselves

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I, like @cam04 , am quite used to fixing tyres on the various trips I have done over the years, only recently I did a tyre & steel rim on the Old Ghan Line on a rather innocuous washout at low speed, - which I managed to belt back into a circular shape and refit a spare tyre carcass on it and re-seated it using a Mean Mother Compressor, as above, just seat the one side as best you can then attach compressor without the valve in and work the tyre until she seals then wait for it to pop. I carry a spray bottle of water and add detergent to it to check for air leaks around the bead, put valve back in quickly with the air trying to push against you - hold onto the valve, then pump it back up to your required pressure.

cheers

Ron0z

Brilliant video Petunia. I laughed. Though, in the video they sprayed lighter fluid into the inside of the tyre. I doubt it would be a method any Trade School would approve of, but I guess when you're stuck you'd do anything. I just have to wonder how people think these things up. Such pure inspiration has to be admired. Truly thinking ouside the box.

I wonder how corrosive lighter fluid is to rubber, if it wasn't all burned in the explosion. You might argue that as it combusts it turns into something else. I wonder how much that something else is corrosive to rubber. I wonder if the lighter fluid is inclined to continue burning after the typr has seated as it uses up the remaining oxygen inside the tyre.

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Petunia

Brilliant video Petunia. I laughed. Though, in the video they sprayed lighter fluid into the inside of the tyre. I doubt it would be a method any Trade School would approve of, but I guess when you're stuck you'd do anything. I just have to wonder how people think these things up. Such pure inspiration has to be admired. Truly thinking ouside the box.

I wonder how corrosive lighter fluid is to rubber, if it wasn't all burned in the explosion. You might argue that as it combusts it turns into something else. I wonder how much that something else is corrosive to rubber. I wonder if the lighter fluid is inclined to continue burning after the typr has seated as it uses up the remaining oxygen inside the tyre.

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Were you wagging school the week we studied Pyromania101?
you never exterminated paper wasps with wd40 flamethrower? glen20? thats good is ethanol .... fly spray, deoderant, spray cooking oil, brake cleaner is good, can of start you barsteward either is the, THE best
any can of spray that has the flammable red diamond on it .... WOOF
i only selected that vid for the size of the tyre, not the fluid used

approval? corrosive? keeps going? Dude, go sell ya 4x4 go the pub drown your brain .... you way overthinking a life n death situation, if you change the tyre you live, you light it you die. Simples. :cool: