Getting the Challenger ready for the tracks.

discomatt

any caravan repair / service business will have scales or take it to a weighing station, weigh the car, then the trailer, then both and it can all be worked out
It may scare you a bit, my D4 and van all loaded and full of fuel is over 5.5 ton :eek:

Aza013

Nice trailer, I am sure you will have some great holidays with it.
What is the ball weight when loaded? It was ball weight that put me off a lot of the latest design camper trailers
The trailer is the classic fold the little sister to the dominator, so not a lot of storage in front of axel keeping the ball weight low.
Ball weight was about 160-170kg can’t recall 100%
its 130kg unloaded. Fill the water tank at the back 100L less weight on ball then add gas bottle and food Front section.
I will do a weight check again when I load it up next to be 100%.

Last edited:

Aza013

Well the new suspension is in. Lifted vehicle total hight by 90mm.
so the old suspension had dropped 50mm, lift kit was a 40mm lift.
I can’t upload pics as it’s saying file is to big, might be the new update restrictions/settings.

Triton14

Well the new suspension is in. Lifted vehicle total hight by 90mm.
so the old suspension had dropped 50mm, lift kit was a 40mm lift.
I can’t upload pics as it’s saying file is to big, might be the new update restrictions/settings.
So essentially it's just a 40mm lift over standard height then.
While did you go to & what was the package you got in the end, springs, shock, could etc??

Aza013

So essentially it's just a 40mm lift over standard height then.
While did you go to & what was the package you got in the end, springs, shock, could etc??
Yes 100% correct.
I ended up with the Dodinsons 40mm lift with a constant 250kg spring set. Ironman was what I was going for in the beginning, but after 3 weeks they got back to us saying they did not have all the front end components.

Aza013

Well the next step has been done.
xrox bullbar has been put on, I still need to trim a little more off the factory bumper to give that little bit more flex room.
I will be adding a 9500lb Carbon winch tomorrow.
also replaced the old oricom uhf with a GME xrs-370 big change for the better.

Hummm still can’t add pics :(

Aza013

70F44A0B-4D1B-4D1B-BB61-899874523FA1.jpeg
got a pic small enough to upload :D
There was no room to fit the controller box in with the winch so it had to go on top of bar. So adding spot lights are now out.

Last edited:

Bigfish1

With all the added extras it must be close to its maximum. Have you weighed the vehicle? On my Pajero I ended up taking off one large protection plate, swapped the agm aux for lithium and removed my heavy home made drawers just to get it under the max vehicle weight....Not hard now adays to overload the vehicle.

Aza013

With all the added extras it must be close to its maximum. Have you weighed the vehicle? On my Pajero I ended up taking off one large protection plate, swapped the agm aux for lithium and removed my heavy home made drawers just to get it under the max vehicle weight....Not hard now adays to overload the vehicle.
No it’s not hard to blow out the GVM. But at this point I’m still under, but if I fill the car with big passengers then yes I would be over.
GVM is 2430kg
I’m at 2290kg
I just need to load light when going away. But I only have to put food drinks and sleeping equipment in. The rest of the things I take away was loaded in the car when weighed.

TYNO87

I could be wrong but I believe if your gvm was ever brought into question the actual weight of the passengers isn’t taken into account. Eg if there’s only 2 passenger or 5 the 408kg (or what ever it is) allowance for a 5 seater is still counted.
If you’re at 2290kg with no passengers I believe they’ll add 408kg which will bring you to 2698kg regardless of how many people are actually in the car.

Aza013

They add 80kg per seat on top of the weight.
when I had it weighed the worker that checked the weight stayed in the car and he said he was about 120kgs.
So when you look at it that way I’m 140kgs over. ( if I worked it out right lol. )
But I could remove the back seats and remove 240kgs from the equation. ( yes I would have to re engineer as a two seater), but if they are going into things that hard they will do you regardless.

Triton14

They add 80kg per seat on top of the weight.
when I had it weighed the worker that checked the weight stayed in the car and he said he was about 120kgs.
So when you look at it that way I’m 140kgs over. ( if I worked it out right lol. )
But I could remove the back seats and remove 240kgs from the equation. ( yes I would have to re engineer as a two seater), but if they are going into things that hard they will do you regardless.
Looks great Aza but I guess it has highlighted that using a challanger platform does have some limitations over a higher GVM dual cab.

I believe my MN has a 2900kg GVM.

What is the max CVM then?

You could be better towing the weight in trailer form over putting it into the car, not sure on that though??

Aza013

Thanks Triton14.
if I put leaf springs in the back I to could have a higher gvm like the Utes.
Just rechecked the GVM is 2610 not 2430.
the GCM is 5610
So if that GVM number is right I’m still under GVM. JUST LOL
I will look over all the numbers again tonight when I get home from work.

Aza013

1C849904-9C24-4BAC-931E-81332574150B.png
The below weight was before xrox bar and winch. So need to add 55kgs for xrox bar and 25kgs for winch
FE36AE49-A012-485B-8A61-64E12E2D77BA.jpeg
So looking at these numbers and adding 300kg for ppl in vehicle ( taken 100kg off as driver is still in vehicle when weight was taken ( RMS use 80kg per seat 400kg 5 seats))
That would put me at 2640kg, 70kg left to play with.
if I do a GVM upgrade I can get another 150kg on top. Total GVM 2860kg.
I will be going to do another weight check on it as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited:

Bigfish1

This article appeared yesterday about an accident with an overloaded vehicle. Overloading has consequences....There really is no need for it and can easily be avoided by weighing your rig several times with different loads, as Aza013 is doing.

https://rvdaily.com.au/fatal-caravan-crash-driver-steven-russell-to-plead-not-guilty/

Advertising also has a lot to answer for in trying to go one up on the competition with the towing capacities of their products..

https://www.club4x4.com.au/modern-ute-tow-ratings-bullst/

Aza013

Done some small changed.
ripped out 2 seats from the back and made up a storage box and relocated the oven. Also finally hard mounted the fire extinguisher.
9ED205A0-1F6D-4242-80A9-61184516135F.jpeg
407AB0AB-4E36-463A-B4C8-18EDAB4067D1.jpeg

FE1ACCED-C082-4E85-928B-A0A0BF780253.jpeg
D152445A-0ED8-42DD-8F52-42DBA74EFB18.jpeg
A685CE1A-13ED-4FB0-ADC6-BAC0B26DB5C7.jpeg
Lowered the back shelf by 4 inches ( no need for a step ladder to see in the fridge any more ) and added some storage draws.
A little cleaner now and I can see out the back window again :)

Before:-
CC608553-64DD-4B45-A34E-FC70C067944E.png
After
7FDB5694-A6F7-4AFC-B7F9-6A8BDE23A8CE.jpeg

Last edited: