Getting spare wheel on and off roof.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks. I just wanted something simple and cheap.
Being a clerical type bloke for over 50 years I am not really into mechanical stuff.
To be honest I have never got my head around pulleys either so I reckon there are blokes like you who could have shown me a trick or two.
Maybe using the boat winch I might go get me a tinny and haul it in with my new fangled boat winch. Would look funny off the top of the troopy , however because it is portable, pulls 600 kgs , I could set it up anywhere where it could be anchored. Hey, the portable boat winch which does not need a trailer, just hook it up to a tree, or a 4wd Hitch, bumper, rock, picket etc. Whew, I might just go for a patent.

181140932179_21.jpg

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Well done Roger. You finally solved your problem. I just started a big project yesterday. Rebuilding the back end of one of my vintage caravans. I chopped it off nearly 30 years ago to turn the van inot a closed trailer to shift furniture for my wifes second hand furniture shop. Now the wood rot has got so bad I have to put it back to its original closed state to keep the weather out.

Made a good start yesterday and today. Pulled out all the rotten wood around one corner, including the corner post. Laminated up a nice new stronger post out of a couple of pieces of 42 x 19 clear pine. And found a nice moulding for the new rear roof beam to allow for a sloping back. Have already purchased a new back window off the Gumtree.

Lot's of fun fixing, designing and building things. And lot's of satisfaction in creating something new and useful as you have done with your wheel lifter.

Not sure if this van will be finished for Bendleby. Depends if I have to go back to work, or if I get to retire after all. They have asked me to come back to work the last two years, since retiring two years ago. This caravan project has been hanging around since then, Couldn't wait any longer. Won't know if I am going back till early Feb. In the meantime I am making some progress.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey MIllsy, Go for it. Yep, I retired four times. Since then, lost my young brother, my eldest son, daughter lost everything in Black Saturday fires and lots of friends have passed away.
I live every day to the full, I am head strong, loud, speak my mind, black and white, true blue and speak lots of Bulls*it. Have got greatest wife, five more kids, ten grandkids and flat out keeping up.
Just finish that Van, bring it along , take it nice and easy so as not to scratch it and show it off.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
You have had some terrible losses Roger. very sad. But a big loving family too by the sound of it. I worry about my son, and his girlfriend. Wil be so glad when they come home from their Americas holiday in one piece. South America (finished) Mexico (finished), Texas (finished) and now in New Orleans. They are often walking back to their b&b late at night in empty streets. Sometimes very long walks. Don't they read the newspapers about all the guns and horrible things that happen in America! Off to New York next and will be there for New Years Eve celebrations. Gee I will be glad when the finally get home. About half way through their three month adventure. Amazing stories they are sending back on Facebook. Only the young could do what they do! I just read it and cringe. I used to take risks like that too in my twenties. I guess we all did.

As far as the van goes it is not going to be a full sparkling reno job. Because I bashed the inside furniture out of it, it will be too hard to put it back to original. I also have another vintage van sitting there. It is still in original order, but also suffering the ills of old age. That will be the one I can tissy up and make look half presentable.

This one I started work on yesterday will be nice if I can get it back on the road. I can still use it for holidays. But it will be a bit tatty on the outside, where I have been constantly cutting out rotted wood over the last thirty years and adding another piece of new plywood. I often paint a piece of bedsheet over places where the ply has started to split open, as a quick fix. Then ten years later I tap it and it feels like the wood behind has rotted away and it is just the cotton material left, taught like a drum lol. All I need is some drum sticks and I could entertain you!

It really is an ugly looking design too. No lovely tear drop shape. Very boxy. I call it my gypsy van! It has a couple of wrought iron scrolls on the front corners. At least it has nice big Light truck tyres on it, albeit retreads! Just need to find a matching spare wheel now. old English rims I think. And it has a mechanical braking system. It needs it!

It weighs 1 tonne gutted and empty because of its really heavy duty steel frame under a very thick plywood floor. So very strong in the floor and chassis. The wooden 'shack' on top? Well it is always interesting to see if it comes back with it still sitting on top, or whether it comes back a 'flat bed' trailer! I am sure I could drag it through a few creek beds up in the Flinders and it would grind the rocks to pulp. The top might fall off though lol. I am going to try to design the new curvy back so the plywood 'curl under' doesn't get too close to the ground, or the creek entries and exits really will be an issue.

Will see if I can add a pic or two tomorrow. It did look good hooked up to the Patrol for the first time yesterday. They both have the same boxy look. A good match. Had to drag it away from the side fence so I could work on it. First time it has been moved in about ten years I reckon. Looks much better now that I have pumped the tyres up!

Last edited:

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Here are a few pics of what is in front of me. And a small start. But I notce in the last pic that i still have to do a bit of sqauring up before I go to far further. The bottom of that post has been pushed sideways when I re-fitted the second coss brace!

Attachments

• PC160159.JPG
    PC160159.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 163
  • PC160161.JPG
    PC160161.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 102
  • PC160162.JPG
    PC160162.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 104
  • PC160164.JPG
    PC160164.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 103
  • PC170167.JPG
    PC170167.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 115

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
And a few more;

Attachments

• PC170172.JPG
    PC170172.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 94
  • PC180176.JPG
    PC180176.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 88
  • PC180177.JPG
    PC180177.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 96
  • PC190181.JPG
    PC190181.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 101
  • PC190183.JPG
    PC190183.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 100

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
You have had some terrible losses Roger. very sad. But a big loving family too by the sound of it. I worry about my son, and his girlfriend. Wil be so glad when they come home from their Americas holiday in one piece. South America (finished) Mexico (finished), Texas (finished) and now in New Orleans. They are often walking back to their b&b late at night in empty streets. Sometimes very long walks. Don't they read the newspapers about all the guns and horrible things that happen in America! Off to New York next and will be there for New Years Eve celebrations. Gee I will be glad when the finally get home. About half way through their three month adventure. Amazing stories they are sending back on Facebook. Only the young could do what they do! I just read it and cringe. I used to take risks like that too in my twenties. I guess we all did.

As far as the van goes it is not going to be a full sparkling reno job. Because I bashed the inside furniture out of it, it will be too hard to put it back to original. I also have another vintage van sitting there. It is still in original order, but also suffering the ills of old age. That will be the one I can tissy up and make look half presentable.

This one I started work on yesterday will be nice if I can get it back on the road. I can still use it for holidays. But it will be a bit tatty on the outside, where I have been constantly cutting out rotted wood over the last thirty years and adding another piece of new plywood. I often paint a piece of bedsheet over places where the ply has started to split open, as a quick fix. Then ten years later I tap it and it feels like the wood behind has rotted away and it is just the cotton material left, taught like a drum lol. All I need is some drum sticks and I could entertain you!

It really is an ugly looking design too. No lovely tear drop shape. Very boxy. I call it my gypsy van! It has a couple of wrought iron scrolls on the front corners. At least it has nice big Light truck tyres on it, albeit retreads! Just need to find a matching spare wheel now. old English rims I think. And it has a mechanical braking system. It needs it!

It weighs 1 tonne gutted and empty because of its really heavy duty steel frame under a very thick plywood floor. So very strong in the floor and chassis. The wooden 'shack' on top? Well it is always interesting to see if it comes back with it still sitting on top, or whether it comes back a 'flat bed' trailer! I am sure I could drag it through a few creek beds up in the Flinders and it would grind the rocks to pulp. The top might fall off though lol. I am going to try to design the new curvy back so the plywood 'curl under' doesn't get too close to the ground, or the creek entries and exits really will be an issue.

Will see if I can add a pic or two tomorrow. It did look good hooked up to the Patrol for the first time yesterday. They both have the same boxy look. A good match. Had to drag it away from the side fence so I could work on it. First time it has been moved in about ten years I reckon. Looks much better now that I have pumped the tyres up!

Yep. Checked your pics out and yep , reckon it might not be ready for Bendleby. However a bloke has to always have three projects going at one time. (Check rules on Men's Shed), One project that is finishing, one that is just started and one that will never finish. And remember if you do finish a project you must have another ready to start so as to keep three on the go. Are you a Chippy? I reckon with a bit of new wood (there is a template to work from) it could be knocked over real good. Still is good to know that there is a fair dinkum project on the go. Imagine if a bloke had nothing to do? Sheez. A bloke can spend many hours thinking, talking, drinking,helping, braging, getting ideas, etc. about a fair dinkum project and will never get bored. Who says when you retire you get bored? Reckon there might be a few good ideas at Bendleby.
Just helped my Son in Law tonight to put a boat carrier on his camper trailer. He bought it real cheap off a bloke, we made a few alterations, bit of welding etc. It lifts to the side and drops the tinny on the ground. Uses four gas struts to let it down easy. I am to old to do the hard work however when he was trying to compress the struts to fit using a rachet strap it was to hard. I suggested using a high lift jack and it worked a treat. He does the hard yakka I do the ideas.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yep. Checked your pics out and yep , reckon it might not be ready for Bendleby. However a bloke has to always have three projects going at one time. (Check rules on Men's Shed), One project that is finishing, one that is just started and one that will never finish. And remember if you do finish a project you must have another ready to start so as to keep three on the go. Are you a Chippy? I reckon with a bit of new wood (there is a template to work from) it could be knocked over real good. Still is good to know that there is a fair dinkum project on the go. Imagine if a bloke had nothing to do? Sheez. A bloke can spend many hours thinking, talking, drinking,helping, braging, getting ideas, etc. about a fair dinkum project and will never get bored. Who says when you retire you get bored? Reckon there might be a few good ideas at Bendleby.
Just helped my Son in Law tonight to put a boat carrier on his camper trailer. He bought it real cheap off a bloke, we made a few alterations, bit of welding etc. It lifts to the side and drops the tinny on the ground. Uses four gas struts to let it down easy. I am to old to do the hard work however when he was trying to compress the struts to fit using a rachet strap it was to hard. I suggested using a high lift jack and it worked a treat. He does the hard yakka I do the ideas.

Good one Roger. Yes, fixing and making and creating is all about the ideas. Coming up with the best idea to solve a problem. Was sharing my caravan rebuild with a few mates on Facebool tonight. They took a look at the pics and all came back with loads of laughter. They reckon its too far gone!. And I must admit I did get a bit of a wake up when my good 4x4 mate reminded me I will probably have to get the van checked out by our goverment roadworthy department. Hopefully that will not be too big a problem. But I am thinking they might be asking me to get the old 'star' hitch replaced with a modern spring loaded 50mm hitch. This one takes a huge 2 1/4 inch ball and you just wind it down on a thread and use a locknut.

I was in Cash Converters tonight and I spied a nice block and tackle. Am thinking instead of buying a Trifor hand winch, or trying to use my highlift jack as a pulling device (pain in the neck - I have tried it), this block and tackle might be just the thing for self retrieving. I already have two reels of 8mm wire rope I have set up (60m and 45m) and two snatch blocks. But nothing really to do the pulling. This block and tackle is rated at lifting 1000kg. It has a huge mechanical advantage, so the input force needed is very small. And the chain is quite long, so there is a lot of pulling length before I would need to reset the anchor point. All comes in a nice neat plastic case. $60. Might be a good idea.

Anyway, making a bit of progress over the last three days. Have not spent much time on the job at all with Xmas shopping and the heat keeping me inside for most of the last two days. Here is what I was knocking up tonight - the upper rear drivers side corner. It is quite a complicated joint. There will be alltogether 9 pieces of wood glued together at this corner junction. And also 4 sheets of plywood, a sheet of canite (actually sound proofing board as Bunnings did not have any canite as such), and a waterproof flexible outer skin. Tonight I was pleased to get 5 of the 9 wooden pieces all set up, glued and clamped. So after spending the first part of the job pulling everything to pieces, the side wall is starting to come back together nicely.

Attachments

• PC210003.JPG
    PC210003.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 89
  • PC230007.JPG
    PC230007.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 98
  • PC230009.JPG
    PC230009.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 79

profoto

Go for a wander around BJ's in Bayswater, on the intersection above the railway line on Mountain Highway, might give you some ideas.
It's a real boys toy shop and fairly cheap.

dno67

Nice one millsy.
Nothing a hand full or two of builders bog and a ryobi plus one tool cant fix. Look forward to following
the repairs.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Well the project is finished. Wheel winches up ok, just needs an easy tip to roll over rollers and winches onto roof rack real easy.
Coming down is easier. Just secure whell to strap, a little slack and slide onto rollers.
Then winch down backwards. Well Hope I never have to use the second spare.
Because winch is portable I could use for other purposes including letting down the spare on my rear door.
Total cost for winch, rollers, spare tyre etc. $150.00.

2.JPG

5.JPG

7.JPG

DSCF0457.JPG

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
After putting so much effort in to sort this problem out, you'll probably never get a flat and never get to use it!
Top work glad you came up with a working solution.

No man ever cut himself bearding!

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah nice work roger.
You'll have to give us a demo at Bendleby.

Thanks Brian, Yep, I plan to give say a demonstration followed by question and answer time. Should only take, I dunno, maybe 1/2 to 1 slab. Depends on the weather.

After putting so much effort in to sort this problem out, you'll probably never get a flat and never get to use it!
Top work glad you came up with a working solution.

No man ever cut himself bearding!

That's what I am hoping. However there are a multitude of things I can do with it.
like if anyone falls down drunk, I can hook onto their belt and hoist them to safety.

80lover96gxl

Could be warm roger so play it safe and go 1 slab I reckon, wouldn't want you dehydrating during the demo.
I'll have a back up slab on ice incase 1 isn't enough for the demo. :D