Getting oztent on roof

mopoke

I love my oztent but now that I am a single female camper there is no way I am getting it on/off the roof on my own. Looking for suggestions for anything that can assist me in doing this?

Thanks

John U

They are ungainly. What is causing you issues? The weight? The bulk? What sort of rack set up do you have?

mopoke

They are ungainly. What is causing you issues? The weight? The bulk? What sort of rack set up do you have?
The weight plus bulk. I don't think I can lift it over my head and was considering a square touring tent like southern cross/freedom instead but would still be concerned with lifting that weight over my head even though shape would hopefully be a little easier. I am ok carrying the oztent by my side just not over head

At the moment I just have straight suzuki grand vitara roof racks. Happy to invest in something for the long term just need to make sure its right for me given not as strong as other campers

John U

I've got an RV4. I find embracing it, upright, like a bear hug, is the easiest way to carry it. I have an ARB tradie rack with no rails on the front or back. When I get it to the back of my ute I lean it up against the back of the ute with the top end leaning on the rack, and then reach down and lift the other end up and slide it on. Because the rack has sides on it the tent is unlikely to roll off while loading.

mikehzz

I was going to suggest resting it vertically against the car and lifting from the bottom so that the car takes half the weight, then swing the end you're holding onto the other rack. They can be tough for anyone.

Albynsw

Find yourself another partner :D
Or get a lighter tent, even the southern cross ones are quite heavy as they use a very heavy grade of canvas. I would consider a lighter grade of tent that is smaller and lighter

cam04

Buy one of these or knock up a copy out of a couple of tentpoles? You only have to lift 1/2 at a time then. I know a few lady kayakers who swear by them. You’ll have to confirm the tent is long enough for this system to be of use.

mopoke

Thanks all for taking the time to respond so far. Lots of options I wasn't aware of

Just got rained out - 1st time ever - with my cheaper dome tent. Not impressed. Hence why back to my oztent or something as able to handle the weather

cam04

If you can do squats ok you might get away with just a rhino rack style ladder roller from the rear.

Hoyks

This looks great. Although losing access to the boot (& car fridge) would by annoying when touring
You could use something like it just to piviot it op and onto the roof, then once the tent is up there, unhook it from the tow bar and stow it on the roof rack as well. The Vitara isn't that tall that it would be too unwieldy.

McGinnis

You could try something like a kayak T loader or side loader but honestly, unless you're extremely petite, simple physics and mechanical advantage will work wonders. Don't lift the tent - there's no need. Drag it to the car, and lift one end up and rest it on the vehicle at the best angle you can, then take the weight off the ground and slide it up.

I hate to sound patronising but more often than not, simple problems have simple solutions. My partner weighs barely over 50kg and she could load my kayak (heavier and far more awkward than an oztent) onto the basket of our troopy by approaching the problem creatively (this was necessary as I broke my arm on a kayak/mtb trip).

There are of course exceptions and situations where this might not be possible, and that's okay; but I think without more info, "devices" aren't the solution to this problem.

Kegs1972

the side loaders are great - i used to lift my kayak onto the car like this, just lift one end up to the bit coming out from the roof rack, then lift the other end and slide across :)