Get the best from your Point & Shoot Compact Camera

Rangie85

Hi All,

I'm new the 4WD drive thing so haven't got much to add to the technical side of things but I thought I would share with you experience I can, and this is the reason for my presence on this part of the site. These tips and tricks are designed to be applicable to any type of camera, particularly around how to get the best out of a point and shoot camera. My reasoning is, if you have an SLR or similar, you should have an idea what you're doing anyway

Composition;
~ Images tend to look more purposeful and less static if you frame your 4bie with more space in the direction of where it is going, then where it has been. In other words, leave much less space behind the truck than in front of it.
~ The best photos are taken from where people's eyes usually are not. Get up high or down low, shoot through the branch of a tree, whatever.

A good tip to make sure you keep your truck in focus is to point your camera straight at the truck, hold the shutter button halfway, then recompose. This will lock the exposure and the focus so your truck will be properly focussed and well lit regardless of where in the frame it is or how dark / light everything else is.

Flash;
~ Point and Shoot camera flashes are the worst light source in a photo. Use available light wherever you can. Find the flash setting on your camera and turn it OFF! If it's low light and you don't have a tripod (i.e. your driving lights are on) rest it against anything, a rock, a tree is great. The most important thing is to rest it against something that reduces the vertical shake. If your subject is moving, try and pan with it, with practice you will get some awesome shots.

Quality
~Somewhere in your settings you will have a setting for ISO. find it and take it off auto and set it to 200 or 400. This will keep the images clean, with less noise and make for better quality pics. This will make the shutter speed slower in low light, but support the camera anyway you can as above to counteract this.

This is just a starter. I'll think of some more 4WD specific ones when I get some more time / have a crack at it myself.

Cheers
Chris