Generators

So, apart from Honda, Yamaha generators which I've heard that the Honda EU201 is the best, where does the Aldi model fit in? It is 3,500 has wheels, 3 x 240 power sockets/outlets

callmejoe

Honda best? Its like opening a can of worms. Toyota or Nissan will be next :)
Every type of genny has its place.
If its only going to be used once in a lifetime buy something cheap.
Going to be used regularly buy something with a known track record.
Then consider the environment your going to be operating it in. Hotter climates I'd say bigger is better so it doesnt work as hard (less heat).
So really i think it just comes down more to a individual needs then brand.

Blue_haired_man

Exactly what joe said, there's no one size fits all. What will the main purpose be? Welding will require a much bigger unit.
I've got the 2.8kva Yamaha for use around the farm and back up power for the house. If you are powering any sensitive electronics like TVs, computers an inverter gennie is your best bet. The other option to consider is spare parts can be pretty hard to get for the cheaper units.
Cheers Leo

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I got a cheapie generator two years ago. I have not used it once.:eek:. So that's good for me if I do.
However, if I was going to use it a real lot, I would go for Honda first and maybe a Yamaha second.
I have had Honda equipment, like big car park sweepers, floor scrubbers and polishers, etc, used daily in a big shopping center which I ran in cleaning. They go hard and long and copped a lot of abuse.

oyamum

I worked in the generator industry for the past 8 years. We dealt with rentals, sales of both new and secondhand sets and repairs/maintenance of sets ranging in size from 2kva to 2000kva.

My personal opinion is I would never touch a Chinese/ cheap set.
I have seen them not only fail when most needed but also damage electrical equipment that's plugged into them. Power spikes caused from crappy avr's.
The cheap genes often run at higher rpm also rather than 1500rpm like the hondas.
Basically my theory is that you will only ever buy 1 generator in your life if you buy a Honda. Yeh it's about 3 times the price of a Chinese unit but it's ten times better.

Bigfish1

I worked in the generator industry for the past 8 years. We dealt with rentals, sales of both new and secondhand sets and repairs/maintenance of sets ranging in size from 2kva to 2000kva.

My personal opinion is I would never touch a Chinese/ cheap set.
I have seen them not only fail when most needed but also damage electrical equipment that's plugged into them. Power spikes caused from crappy avr's.
The cheap genes often run at higher rpm also rather than 1500rpm like the hondas.
Basically my theory is that you will only ever buy 1 generator in your life if you buy a Honda. Yeh it's about 3 times the price of a Chinese unit but it's ten times better.

I agree. Honda are the choice of many Aboriginal communities. They get a hard time but outlast every other make. Mine is over 10 years old , gets a flogging and still goes well. I also service it properly as well. By once and buy smart!

Kouf97

Agreed, Used to work for an amusement ride company and the fleet of generators (Honda) recently got replaced as they were 10 years old and getting a bit stuffed. Got all new Chinese ones and now 2 years later one by one they are all dying and being replaced with Hondas again.

Albynsw

You have to be careful which Honda you get as they make a cheaper Chinese version as well as a Jap model
I know with fire pumps the hire companies favor the Subaru motor over the Honda as the Suby is Jap made and the Honda Chinese

LurchWA

I have a Yamaha 2400 and a Honda 20
The yammie is heavier and louder than the Honda in all respects but runs the air con in the caravan without effort so that goes with the van in summer.
I find the Honda is lighter and a lot quieter so it gets used for a lot of work stuff, general camping and with the van in winter.
The Honda was good to take if I was solo a few years ago but 12 volt technology & solar finds me leaving it home more often than not these days.
I cannot fault either to be honest and would touch the cheapies in a rare fit!

Hotdog

I have a question about earthing a generator.
I have just acquired a Honda 1kv and it is purely for a backup if I have solar problems (no sun etc).
I would most likely only use it to charge my camper trailer batteries and the Aux battery on the car which runs a freezer.
The plug into the camper has an earth plug which is used when at home on 240v. it's a PITA to get to the batteries direct.
On the car I can go direct to the battery with the 12v DC charge leads that came with the generator.
I see earth spikes are very long and have to go deep, this could be hard to do on some ground with a rocky base.
So the question is do I need to earth? If so is there a easy way to do it.
Thanks

callmejoe

Quality brand genny should need a earth? Have say i never used 1....

From my memoery from a past life ,read somewhere else i think it was commented that the direct charging from the 12volt system on thegenny was very slow or low power tranfere?? I think it was mentioned it was quicker to have a small 240v charger plugged into a 240volt socket then connected to the battery was a better method... happy to be corrected

Joe

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have a question about earthing a generator.
I see earth spikes are very long and have to go deep, this could be hard to do on some ground with a rocky base.
So the question is do I need to earth? If so is there a easy way to do it.
Thanks

I too am a non generator camper, but I'd say if there is an Earth there, and Earth spikes, then best to Earth it !!

Maybe, you can use those very long metal coach screws from Bunnings and a cordless drill with suitable driver bit to get them into that very hard ground when you encounter it ??

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-m12-x-200mm-galvanised-coach-screw-each_p2449470

Not sure if these are long enough, but I did see 300mm coach bolts in a google search, so maybe Bunnings just don't carry longer than 200mm.

Hotdog

Thanks Guys,
Could a in-line circuit breaker work if there was an issue like this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Inline-RCD-Circuit-Breaker-1-8m-QP2002/685640715?iid=262898924342&chn=ps

BTW I was a non generator user to but I did come unstuck with solar and bad weather not long ago on a extended stay. Running freezer showers and fridge was a drain and my mate had to run his car to top up his battery so an idling diesel and a small 52db generator what would be less noise. Also I would only run in short runs and only in the middle of the day sort of thing. I do think about fellow campers. Also when I camp I like to get away from people so usually it's remote.

Last edited:

Hotdog

Thanks Tink,
That's piece of mind and I'll get an RCD to use inline to be on the safe side. I do have a smart charger and I'll use that as well.

Bru9

I don't know what is more stupid, getting out the hammer & driving a large stake/rod into the ground at a camp site, or never questioning why such a bizarre act should be done in the first place? Maybe stop & think, did the engineers who made the product & manual say to do it? No of course not, you think you know more than they do? There is a reason people drive ground rods into pot plant soil/ground, coz the idea is ridiculous & anyone who knows the basics of AC power knows why stakes & rods do nothing. As for the plugin RCDs, they don't work on an off the shelf genny, the genny itself has to be the right type (work site stuff) of modified by electrican. The best safety is using good brand gennys, quality cables & common sense practices, avoid metal 240V appliances & use plastic. Do that & you will never have a issue, been running all kinds of crazy 240V stuff for decades in all kinds of wet conditions (camping & backyard) with no earthing system or RCDs!, Many houses still don't have RCDs! common sense is 90% of the safety.
Anyway the cheapo gennys in aus have 0 track record unlike in NA where cheap brands are actually goning well, so no reviews worth a dam, small only companys selling them that most likely wont be around in 5years, no way! I have been considering the Yamaha EF2200is for about 8 months now for second battery system, but they are too noisy, full of gimmick features like output % LEDS, measly 3A DC etc, still no fuel pump-only gravity feed. Yamaha screwed up big time, the 2000 was better. So the only game in town is still the Honda EU22i. It still isn't clear what quality the non japan units of both brands are, some of the insides of the honda are plastic! and they run for many 1000s of hours when treated right.

cam04

Hire mobs in the 90's/2000's all supplied the Eu20i with a little earth stake and a roll out earth wire which was attached to the earth point. Many bigger job sites demanded they be used also. Goes to show how a little seed of 'stupid' can germinate and spread, unquestioned. Like 9" grinders on site - so many WHS children tell me I can't use one because they are so dangerous and they kill people. Bullshit - Mikki the almost 7 foot tall alcoholic Finnish formworker RIP (true story) decided it was a grand idea to install a saw blade out of a 9 1/4 Makita saw into one for easier cuts into corners etc. It all went swimmingly until a poor young bloke picked it up and accidentally ripped out his throat with it. THAT is why 9" grinders are black banned. Nobody remembers that bit.
We have a number of gennies at work and home. The Honda 20i is a good thing but not for air con units or welders. It has a stupid oil change method - you need to invent a funnel to get it done. If you want a cheaper imported genny with bigger output, go to tradetools. They have parts backup, a workshop, and they back their products. We have a 15 year old (cream fuel tank) renegade 2200w which is still kicking, and an 8000w unit which lives in the night shift trailer and runs the lights and welders and jackhammers (trade tools 150a gasless mig and a DC stick). It runs 10 hrs a night and you need to experience the welding current to appreciate how useless smaller units are for that purpose. The little one has been dropped, smashed, wet, generally abused. It goes into tradetools and they keep resurrecting it. The hondas are too nice and too much of a theft magnet to keep in site trailers - nobody gives the trade tools ones a second look which is just the way we like it.

Last edited: