gearbox issues 2000 hilux

jbhilux

hi all, recently bought my first hilux and im getting the feeling somthing isnt right in the gearbox. as you have to hold the clutch in for a couple a seconds for a smooth gear change and if your trying to accelerate and drive normally and then hold the clutch in for a few seconds its a rough gear change into second no matter what you do the other gears do it but not as bad. Thanks

Cokedaddy216

Yeah Man , if the oil ain't right , first to second & third to second is a real pain in cold weather :rolleyes:
75/90 is what normally goes in a hilux box , penrite trans gear 75/90 semi synthetic is suitable for all 4 driveline gears ;)

typhoeus

And make sure the clutch is operating properly. When I had gear changing issues, it was the master cylinder bypassing, so I wasn't getting the full travel at the clutch fork

2luxes

I would also have a look at the master cylinder. Who knows how much servicing it has had. I have a 2003 model and both the master and the slave cylinder are still original and working perfectly at 182,000 ks but I have changed the brake fluid a lot more times than the servicing schedule says.

If it is one or both of these cylinders then get new ones and preferably genuine Toyota. They will most likely have corrosion inside them.

Some earlier Hiluxes had synchro problems that made gear changes difficult. I lost count of the number that I fixed at work in the 1980s by drilling tiny holes through the synchro cones to help the oil get out. I would have thought Toyota would have fixed the problem long before your model.

It is not a bad idea to change all oils in any used car when you buy it. You don't need anything special. I have used Castrol for as long as I can remember and never had a problem. 75/90 is correct as Cokedaddy216 said. Check all oils and greases in the workshop manual or owner's handbook if it is still in the car and use exactly what Toyota says.

jbhilux

thanks for all the replys, previous owner said he done all the fluid changes and in the time he had it he only did about 30,000km the truck is at 282,000 now (hard to trust odometers in new zealand as everyone messes with them) ill do them though so i can have peice of mind. is there anything wrong with using good quality aftermarket master cylinder from the likes of bnt automotive? cheers also i bleed the cylinder in the hopes it would fix it and it still quite of a soft pedel and squeaks alot if that helps at all

typhoeus

I replaced my master and slave from ebay, and have not had any trouble so far( about 1 year). Make sure you bleed it properly. any air will make the pedal spongy, and reduce travel of the fork. The pin which connects the cylinder to the pedal usually cause the squeak, or the main pin at the top of the pedal. either way a squirt of wd40 or better still, penetrating oil fixes the squeak.

Johnsie

Hey all, i found this forum while looking for answers to why my 4x2 petrol-manual 2018 hilux has such a shit gear selection issue.
I bought it new in February 18 & it was tight shifting from day one (expected). I asked for it to be checked on the first service, they changed the oil.
No change, in fact it got worse especially when cold, did not want to come out of first & rough going into second & third. I returned it to toyota & explained it, they drove it & said it was fine, i told them to have it overnight & try it again in the morning. They then agreed that there was a problem but as there was no exchange trans they would be rebuilding it...... 3 1/2 weeks later i got it back,they claim they didn't see any damage to the parts they had replaced & it was good to go & that it would take 10 000 ks to run it in! after complaining again after 5000 ks they changed the gear oil to Redline (don't know specs), only slightly better shifting but came with chattering backlash in neutral with the clutch out & obvious backlash in shifts. Just serviced again & say the box is fine. I have had 30 year old cars that shift better than this "triple synchro" modern gearbox.
Question would be what oil would you recommend for me to try?

Rick

Swaggie

Hey all, i found this forum while looking for answers to why my 4x2 petrol-manual 2018 hilux has such a shit gear selection issue.
I bought it new in February 18 & it was tight shifting from day one (expected). I asked for it to be checked on the first service, they changed the oil.
No change, in fact it got worse especially when cold, did not want to come out of first & rough going into second & third. I returned it to toyota & explained it, they drove it & said it was fine, i told them to have it overnight & try it again in the morning. They then agreed that there was a problem but as there was no exchange trans they would be rebuilding it...... 3 1/2 weeks later i got it back,they claim they didn't see any damage to the parts they had replaced & it was good to go & that it would take 10 000 ks to run it in! after complaining again after 5000 ks they changed the gear oil to Redline (don't know specs), only slightly better shifting but came with chattering backlash in neutral with the clutch out & obvious backlash in shifts. Just serviced again & say the box is fine. I have had 30 year old cars that shift better than this "triple synchro" modern gearbox.

Rick
If you don't think it's right maybe go to a reputable gearbox place and get a report of them, might help your cause in fighting to get the box running correctly...

Janwillemz

Rick
Hi there, Rick. I have a 2018 hilux with simular shifting issues. Difficult 1st to second and 2cond to third. Especially when cold. The said it was the clutch. They replaced it and replaced gear oil with synthrtic. Much better but still hatd in the morning. No grinding, just hart to shift....have you solved your isdue