G'DAY Folks!

Hey guys and girls
Just wanted to say hi, I'm new to 4x4 earth. I have no experience of off-roading or 4WD but keen to get into it it seems AMAZING! Currently I own a 2017 X5 for the 9-5 and school run but looking for suggestions/advice for a weekend warrior, something cheap and cheerful to get started. Looking forward to chatting with you all and learning heaps!

2002GU3

G'day mate, welcome to earth............there are lots of options, just depends on what you call cheap and whether you want petrol or diesel - long or short wheelbase, wagon or ute or dual cab, I guess it depends on what type of off roading you want to do - (general exploring/camping - touring - hard core tracks) how many people/kids etc. The main choices would be - Nissan - Patrol or Navara,,,,Toyota - Landcruiser or Hi-lux....... Keep an eye on the trip section, lots of people will be happy for you to tag along and teach you about 4x4ing.

G'day mate, welcome to earth............there are lots of options, just depends on what you call cheap and whether you want petrol or diesel - long or short wheelbase, wagon or ute or dual cab, I guess it depends on what type of off roading you want to do - (general exploring/camping - touring - hard core tracks) how many people/kids etc. The main choices would be - Nissan - Patrol or Navara,,,,Toyota - Landcruiser or Hi-lux....... Keep an eye on the trip section, lots of people will be happy for you to tag along and teach you about 4x4ing.
Thanks for all the info dude I'm thinking Diesel, undecided on the body type, leaning towards a Patrol or LandCruiser something like the 80 Series 4.2 Turbo, $5-$6K for the car, am I dreaming with the price? That's awesome on the trips advice thank you so much!

2002GU3

You may be lucky, there was one for sale near here recently ( 80 series 4.2 diesel) was a pretty tidy unit, he wanted $6,800 ono, the downside was it had over 600,000 K's on it....maybe for $5-6k in a diesel you might want to look for a GQ patrol or maybe a 60 series landcruiser, both are good off road and old school reliability, if your open to 4 cyl diesels there would be a whole lot more options - (have a look on Gumtree just to get a few ideas on what's available)......"dude" AKA Jim.:D

You may be lucky, there was one for sale near here recently ( 80 series 4.2 diesel) was a pretty tidy unit, he wanted $6,800 ono, the downside was it had over 600,000 K's on it....maybe for $5-6k in a diesel you might want to look for a GQ patrol or maybe a 60 series landcruiser, both are good off road and old school reliability, if your open to 4 cyl diesels there would be a whole lot more options - (have a look on Gumtree just to get a few ideas on what's available)......"dude" AKA Jim.:D
Hahahah thank you Jim! Awesome advice, let me have a look and educate myself a little more!