Gas vs Foam cell in a ipfs

poite91

I have been looking around to find out is foam cell shocks going to be to ruff on a ipfs ute. I know they do well on a 100 serious Land Cruiser and a GQ Patrol fathers and brother in laws vehicles but they are heavy coil sprung live axle 4x4s. The shocks I'm looking at are Pedders Track Rider foam cell or the pedders Track Rider gas.

I am leaning to going for the foam cell as I have heard that they are a better shock. Just wanted to hear from people that have ran foam cell on a light 4x4 ute.

Cheers Pete

Last edited:

Swaggie

I wouldn't exactly say my vehicle is light now lol, but it's a Hilux , they seen to work very well so far, still have to hit The High Country yet as there fairly new...

Must say I've never been a fan of Pedders , id go IRONMAN or Dobinson or Tough Dog before those guys.

Goodluck

Ironman 4x4

Hey @poite91,

Foam Cell shocks by their design aren't harsher or firmer on a lighter vehicle - that all comes down to the valving of the shock absorber.

As an example, whilst the technologies are different between a nitro gas and a foam cell shock - we attempt to valve them as closely as possible so that it's near enough as makes no difference - infact you'd need to be very sensitive to the feel of your vehicle to tell the difference in valving of our nitro gas to foam cell shocks - and things like a change in tyre pressure would be more noticable.

Saying that a foam cell shock will perform better for longer offroad than a twin tube nitro gas shock as a general rule. This is because the foam cell design allows for more oil, which means it doesn't heat up as quickly and can cool down faster.

In our dyno testing (http://ironman4x4.com/news/foam-cell-pro-testing) it took an additional 4 minutes for the foam cell shocks to heat up to the same temperatures when run.

let me know if you've got further questions mate! Happy to answer what i can.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

poite91

I wouldn't exactly say my vehicle is light now lol, but it's a Hilux , they seen to work very well so far, still have to hit The High Country yet as there fairly new...

Must say I've never been a fan of Pedders , id go IRONMAN or Dobinson or Tough Dog before those guys.

Goodluck
Hey @poite91,

Foam Cell shocks by their design aren't harsher or firmer on a lighter vehicle - that all comes down to the valving of the shock absorber.

As an example, whilst the technologies are different between a nitro gas and a foam cell shock - we attempt to valve them as closely as possible so that it's near enough as makes no difference - infact you'd need to be very sensitive to the feel of your vehicle to tell the difference in valving of our nitro gas to foam cell shocks - and things like a change in tyre pressure would be more noticable.

Saying that a foam cell shock will perform better for longer offroad than a twin tube nitro gas shock as a general rule. This is because the foam cell design allows for more oil, which means it doesn't heat up as quickly and can cool down faster.

In our dyno testing (http://ironman4x4.com/news/foam-cell-pro-testing) it took an additional 4 minutes for the foam cell shocks to heat up to the same temperatures when run.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4
Thanks guys.

Matt thanks you for taking the time to show the exclamation of how the shocks work the link was a really good read.

Ironman 4x4

Thanks guys.

Matt thanks you for taking the time to show the exclamation of how the shocks work the link was a really good read.
Pleasure mate. If you have any further questions, I'm only a PM or an invite to a thread away :D

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Warnsie

Hey @poite91,

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4
Hi Matt
I have a 2016 Ford Ranger XLT, and are doing the rounds for suspension (there is a lot of opinions out there and a lot of BS even from professionals in the industry). All I want is a mild lift, and want to improve ride quality and comfort. I don't intend on driving on corregated roads at the moment, but I do drive on some very poor black top country roads at 100kmh which never seems to allow the car to settle. I am coming from a coil sprung Toyota Prado so I may be a little picky with the ute.

What would you recommend from your range: foam cell or twin tube shocks? Some people have said that foam cell are not responsive enough for an IFS ute, and their is a little delay from the shock when leaning into corners. Others have also said that foam cell pick up more vibrations etc. due to high chassis frequencies in Utes. Others have said that the initial stroke on foam cells are better than gas twintubes for ride quality, but both work just as well further into the stroke (such as big hits etc). Are you able to shed some light on all of this?
Thanks
Ryan

Lost1?

I would go after a monotube gas shock over a twin tube. Better heat dissipation, bigger piston surface area. Bilstein would be my first choice or Ultimate Suspension if your budget doesnt stretch that far. Ultimate will build a shock to meet your needs. Don't get drawn in by the marketing hype about twin tube shocks being tougher.