Gas bottles on roof

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
We had planned to carry our two 4.5lt gas bottles on the roof contained in homemade cage/brackets as it is easier for me to lift up to Wooky however we have since been told this is not a good idea, and should carry them in the car (no trailer). Any thoughts.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I carry my gas bottles in the car with the caps locked on tight. They sit inside draws I built to fit them in

rodw

Hmm, people must be concerned about the weight on the roof so that is fair enough. Gas inside is not a good idea. Remember you got to get a gas certificate for gas in a caravan and gas bottles must be vented to the outside and sealed from the inside to make sure it is all safe...

I am considering eliminating gas bottles by upgrading to a Primus dual fuel stove. I never use the gas light anymore as it is so noisy. But I remember you have a 3 way fridge is that right? Have you got a tow bar? Could you make a bracket for your gas bottles that slides into the hitch receiver? I have thought about doing that a couple of times.

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hmm, people must be concerned about the weight on the roof so that is fair enough. Gas inside is not a good idea. Remember you got to get a gas certificate for gas in a caravan and gas bottles must be vented to the outside and sealed from the inside to make sure it is all safe...

I am considering eliminating gas bottles by upgrading to a Primus dual fuel stove. I never use the gas light anymore as it is so noisy. But I remember you have a 3 way fridge is that right? Have you got a tow bar? Could you make a bracket for your gas bottles that slides into the hitch receiver? I have thought about doing that a couple of times.

They reckon if the tap breaks off they will turn into rockets. Got an alumimum roofrack and bottles sit in middle so plenty strong enough. They say if we roll could be disasterous but figure if we roll we be fubar'd anyway.
Yeah we've a 3way fridge but we don't have a Haymen Reese towbar but could adapt. Wooky will think on this idea further. But are you allowed to caryy fuel on the back of a vehicle anymore.

BUSHNUT

By law only 4.5 bottles are allowed to be carried inside a vehicle, any bigger has to be carried externai and all have to be carried upright, Thank Goodness for utes, I just okky strap mine to the cage, the tow bar fitting sounds good as the weight issue cannot be ignored .

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Now there's our problem - to minimise rooftop weight the inside is pretty chockas. Tent, water, food, fridge clothes etc all inside. Roof carries 1 spare wheel, recovery/extra's box which carries all the light stuff, tarps, etc, (turfer on floor inside). That's about all we've got up there plus the two 4.5lt bottles. Not sure we could fit them in Ekki even if we had too, well not without major design changes.
Still not sure about legalities of behind the car.

LowLux

Now there's our problem - to minimise rooftop weight the inside is pretty chockas. Tent, water, food, fridge clothes etc all inside. Roof carries 1 spare wheel, recovery/extra's box which carries all the light stuff, tarps, etc, (turfer on floor inside). That's about all we've got up there plus the two 4.5lt bottles. Not sure we could fit them in Ekki even if we had too, well not without major design changes.
Still not sure about legalities of behind the car.
We'll be carrying ours inside the rear tub as well, just for safety reasons I suppose but we don't have the set-up you guys have either. You have a spot for everything in Ekki.

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
To give you an idea here is mine..
PICT1637.jpg

Used a bottle holder from a caravan acc shop and a zinc bracket from the local hardware shop.
Also fitted a timber removable base and put rubber on the holder.
Fit a old bung to keep dirt out of fitting and had the stove hose extended so I don't take it of the roof when useing:)
Just have to watch under cover parking now, 2.36Mt at top of bottle:eek:

Cheers Kyle.

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
If you need a bung for the bottle while travelling, go to any 7/11 store and pinch one of those plastic bungs they put in the refilled swap and go bottles, they screw in nice and tight and keep everything out.

knot_gillty

......Still not sure about legalities of behind the car.

I think it would be fine behind Ekki. They make brackets for jerrycans and gas bottles for the rear bars on vehicles. If you can have gas bottles on the draw bar of a trailer then back of car would be a safer place i would have thought.

billolga

By law only 4.5 bottles are allowed to be carried inside a vehicle, any bigger has to be carried externai and all have to be carried upright, Thank Goodness for utes, I just okky strap mine to the cage, the tow bar fitting sounds good as the weight issue cannot be ignored .

If you go by the letter of the law you can NOT take your Barbi 9 kg Bottle in your car to get filled. How many people do this?

Some Tag-A-Long operators have been carrying 9 kg bottles on there roof racks for over 20 years.

croozza

If you go by the letter of the law you can NOT take your Barbi 9 kg Bottle in your car to get filled. How many people do this?

Some Tag-A-Long operators have been carrying 9 kg bottles on there roof racks for over 20 years.

I think you get away with it because you only have it in the vehicle for a very short time, it is those that have it in the vehicle for hours on end that they look out for, but how can they tell if you have a gas bottle in the car or not, I always put it on the floor behind the drivers seat or front passenger seat.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I always put the bottles in the roof pod. I don't like the bottles in the car. They will move to the trailer when I get one

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Not really an answer or solution for you, but I only have 9Kg bottles. ( They interchange between camping and the BBQ at home ) When going camping for an extended period, say O'Tooles or similar, I normally take the trailer and the bottles go in there. If it s a shorter trip, a couple of nights or so, one of the 9Kg sits in behind the drivers seat upright wedged in with other stuff and cannot move. Probably not ideal, or legal, but no problems to date.

newhue

It's my understanding gas should not be carried internally in vehicles. Though pictures at Bunnings swap and go suggest only carry in the boot, up wright.
Regardless of where it is one would hope they would smell it and stop before it caused any harm. I guess if the top does come astray internally then this would be very rare and unfortunate, but life is full if risks.

I'd reckon on the rear of the car seems more dangerous to me than the roof as a rear ender in a town is probably more likely than a roll over out bush. And if there was a roll over then it more than likely at low speeds reducing and heat transfer to a bottle puncture.

A high speed roof top slide with exploding bottle would be scary, but impressive to say the least. And no matter how well you strap the sucker on, a sideways high speeda will send that little bottle off like a sling shot, still impressive though.

just some of my rare and wandering thoughts

Ln65er

I dis-like carring gas but sometimes you have to, just remember gas is heavier than normal air and it sinks to the bottom at your feet level, under your nose and is very explosive under the right conditions. A person I knew travelled to the cape in QLD and decided to play with fittings on a gas tank 8 meters from an open fire and ended up exploding between his legs and yes his groin and legs are very burnt. From what he told me he has to wear pressure bandages for a long time. he,s lucky to be alive, its well over a couple of hours to get back to the closest hospital. Its easy to forget how dangerous it is. you can also loose fingers if you are un aware that it can freeze them and give you frost bite ,if you have a major leak and put your hand in front of it

kruzaman

As already stated fuel of any type carried in a confined space is not ideal, I use screw top plastic container that people use as gear storage in canoes or yachts. I use primus bottles that fit in them ok. Gas is only at low pressure so if it does leak it only fill the plastic container, I remove them from the car and open the screw top in a well vented area. The other positive is that the plastic container is easier on the interior of the car and there is room around the bottle to put gas leads and other small items and they all stay in one spot .

Lee

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just some figures from my memory, it's been a while and getting older now:p

Vehcile LPG as fitted to petrol motors and filled by you guys at the servo....

1 litre liquid (how big is your tank?)= 270 litres of Gas/vapour

Combuusts @ 7-9% with air.

Dosn't need a big leak in the car:eek:
Food for thought...

croozza

Just some figures from my memory, it's been a while and getting older now:p

Vehcile LPG as fitted to petrol motors and filled by you guys at the servo....

1 litre liquid (how big is your tank?)= 270 litres of Gas/vapour

Combuusts @ 7-9% with air.

Dosn't need a big leak in the car:eek:
Food for thought...

As true as those figures may be, we are not talking about gas tanks for your vehicle, it is about portable gas bottles, with a maximum 9kg capacity, and how they can be transported in your vehicle, yes they can still explode with devistating conciquences, but no one has been able to find the laws for each state as of yet, hopefully someone will.
I remember last year on the news, seeing a bottle explode in the back of a falcon wagon, fortunately he got out with little injury, but the risk is still there and we need to find the laws and correct locations for gas bottles, after all we all do camping and it can be a bit hard to cook without gas and there are fire bans in place.