Gaia GPS

Kippie

And I still use an Android tablet with ExploreOz, Garmin Earthmate paired to my Inreach Mini, Memory Map loaded with all the Hema maps and state topo maps, and WikiCamps.

red99td5

I asked Hema a month or so ago if they had plans to get hema 4wd into carplay, apparently they are not remotely interested. This will be there downfall

darb

@monbeg , Can you send me a screeny of GAIA operating in CarPlay?
With your own track files / waypoints?
Mate of mine runs carplay and is very interested (my 4wd does not have carplay).

Not being competitive btw, my comments are aimed at my unhappiness of carplay being so restricted - as are mates with brand new 4wd's that have carplay functionality but not been able to load the KML / GPX track files / waypoint sets that we all share , and thus resorted to other devices. Would be pleased if i was wrong.

My experience has been that carplay only supports apps that have "turn by turn" data (which is fine for forest tracks and such), or "following a route" with "navigation" ... but not your own drawn in , non-voice-activated KML / GPX all displayed on screen (i.e bush / terrain that has no "road name" data in it) ? If they do follow a pre-loaded "route", it will only display that, rather than a map with all your data on it (because of the UI rules apple have put on carplay). With 4wd'ing its very rare to be "following a navigable route", rather - having all mapping up on screen and seeing position in relatoin to the tracks / waypoints.

As an example can you load this KML file into it and it will display on carplay? https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rkwto5dz1bq6jx/Shark Bay.kml?dl=0

GPX version : https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqjadt2hp8nv77u/Shark-Bay.gpx?dl=0

here's a vide of the type of functonality I'm chasing based on the KML/GPX files above , the track lines and waypoints are my own- either imported from a KML / GPX file that were drawn-in on the PC during trip planning, or my own breadcrumb trails.

I'd love to have this sort of functionality in car play, for the 4wd'ing we do but to date haven't found any are carplay authorised except for turn-by-turn navigation on known/gazetted roads (of which no such data exists for the 4wd'ing we do)

I can see that Gaia are trying to sneak into the Carplay space by marketing it carefully, but looking at the fine print - you can only have track/wpt data onscreen if its "navigating a route with turn by turn" (Apple's UI rules).

Last edited:

Gidgee

I asked Hema a month or so ago if they had plans to get hema 4wd into carplay, apparently they are not remotely interested. This will be there downfall
They are not remotely interested in even updating their app at all. Combine this with their 150k map showing less than the older 250k and I think they have lost the plot.

darb

They are not remotely interested in even updating their app at all. Combine this with their 150k map showing less than the older 250k and I think they have lost the plot.
what i didn't like about hema (app and tablet) was the weird chubby way they displayed waypoints / tracks when you zoomed out ... they never scaled well at all and would cludge up the screen.

Yeah many aren't because the UI restrictions are restrictive (by apple).

Last edited:

monbeg

@monbeg , Can you send me a screeny of GAIA operating in CarPlay?
With your own track files / waypoints?
Mate of mine runs carplay and is very interested (my 4wd does not have carplay).
These are just two basic pics, one of the menu screen and the other of the SA Gov topo map. The topo map loses its detail in that pic when I pan it away from showing where I live so I have taken a screenshot of the same map on the computer. I used that topo a couple of weeks ago in The Flinders Ranges and it shows all the details of roads, tracks and boundaries etc precisely as you see in the computer pic.

I don't have any tracks or waypoints saved, I only entered the lat and long of camp areas from Wikicamps and they show up on the map in carplay.

I haven't had to add any GPX or KML map files but it something I want to have a play with and this may prompt me to do it (soon).

GAIA Carplay.jpg
GAIA Carplay 2.jpg
GAIA Carplay 3.png

darb

These are just two basic pics, one of the menu screen and the other of the SA Gov topo map. The topo map loses its detail in that pic when I pan it away from showing where I live so I have taken a screenshot of the same map on the computer. I used that topo a couple of weeks ago in The Flinders Ranges and it shows all the details of roads, tracks and boundaries etc precisely as you see in the computer pic.

I don't have any tracks or waypoints saved, I only entered the lat and long of camp areas from Wikicamps and they show up on the map in carplay.

I haven't had to add any GPX or KML map files but it something I want to have a play with and this may prompt me to do it (soon).

View attachment 68932 View attachment 68933 View attachment 68934
Cool - thanks i'd be keen to see any developments you find.

Basically i want to see if it can have a bunch of your own tracks / waypoints displayed on screen, without it having to be "navigated turn by turn".

Does it display your breadcrumb trail whilst offroad?

monbeg

Cool - thanks i'd be keen to see any developments you find.

Basically i want to see if it can have a bunch of your own tracks / waypoints displayed on screen, without it having to be "navigated turn by turn".

Does it display your breadcrumb trail whilst offroad?
I haven't really used any of it's capabilities other than having a detailed moving map of where I am at any time and entering the gps co-ords of free camp areas from Wikicamps.
Theres bound to be someone else who will pop up that has made more use of it's functions than what I have.

My main point in commenting on this thread was to point out that in my opinion carplay etc is the way to go. I have all the setup with a Garmin gps with lifetime map support and an iPad with Hema but I don't need any of that now with the Kenwood unit.
I am yet to use the NSW and QLD topo's but that may happen in a few weeks when (if ??) I go from Adelaide to Brisbane via Hay etc and then return to Adelaide via Longreach and Birdsville.

If I get time and read of the instructions (below) I will have a play with loading other maps.

darb

I haven't really used any of it's capabilities other than having a detailed moving map of where I am at any time and entering the gps co-ords of free camp areas from Wikicamps.
Theres bound to be someone else who will pop up that has made more use of it's functions than what I have.

My main point in commenting on this thread was to point out that in my opinion carplay etc is the way to go. I have all the setup with a Garmin gps with lifetime map support and an iPad with Hema but I don't need any of that now with the Kenwood unit.
I am yet to use the NSW and QLD topo's but that may happen in a few weeks when (if ??) I go from Adelaide to Brisbane via Hay etc and then return to Adelaide via Longreach and Birdsville.

If I get time and read of the instructions (below) I will have a play with loading other maps.

And IMHO , the UI limitations of CarPlay mean that it has to dumb down the app (and only permit elements that are deemed "navigable turn by turn directions") and thus nowhere near as powerful as non-carplay interfaces.

yes you can load GPX / KML data into it, but not for carplay.

So for advanced 4wd mapping, I've found CarPlay does not allow UI interactions needed.

To display a simple map with your position on it? sure ... google apps can do that.

Google have been unable to get Google Earth certified for Carplay either for hte same reasons, the UI is too restricted

darb

Trying Gaia via car play in wife’s car (one screeny shot is the iPhone the other is the Carplay interface)

the car play interface has basically no functionality / interactivity and to even launch a way point routing , I had to reach for the phone itself

nfi why the waypoints won’t load either (imported from my kml

Trying to navigate around using the car play interface was woefully clunky UI

had to use iPhone to do anything which defeats purpose (for me)

A1A03E83-93F5-4D24-A453-28CAD171AD7A.png

6343056F-B699-4D2E-9072-2A54AE58705B.png

Car play interface