Fuel tips

goldrush

here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre.

Only buy or fill up your car in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre.. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT fill up--most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

wow

i had no idea it was so complicated to fill up! lol

i always filled up at nights when its quieter but my try and do it early in the morning now. also with speed, ive always had trouble with my jeep and falcon, it always stops when trying to fill up fast like the bowser is empty. never had problems on my other cars. i guess this is a good thing now, take it nice and slow to get better value
thanks for the tip, will pass it on to everyone i know

ZORDO

Good information.
I knew about the cold ground thing but did not know about the fast filling thing
Cheers

goldrush

No problem Fellas. Anything that can make our favourite activity even a little bit more affordable needs to be shared.

Cliff

cam_champion

No problem Fellas. Anything that can make our favourite activity even a little bit more affordable needs to be shared.

Cliff

I like the way the federal government has introduced a Fuel Watchdog Department, not only do they have no jurisdiction (sp?) over diesel, but they are bragging about bringing fuel prices down an expected 2-3 cents per litre...............thats going to make all the difference :rolleyes:

vossy

Geez! filling up at the petrol station won't be the same any more.
This has only got to do with petrol right!
If thats the case I have no problems - me Diesel man.

So I can go fill up at any time and think to myself pftt! look at all those people getting ripped off with their petrol been evaporated away and dissapearing back underground.

Patriot

Administrator
Hey Goldrush,

Great tips. Petrol expands about 1% for every 15 degree increase in temperate, so especially on a hot day that can work out to be a fair bit over a year. I'll start filling up in the morning.

Thanks Mate.

James

Mrw82

this same article came up on another forum and rather than rewrite everything I will just cut and paste my response:

Only buy or fill up your car or bakkie in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the
more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

I am certifyed to calibrate fuel pumps and while I have heard this a few times before but im not convinced its true.
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

This is absolute BS. there is no vapour return from nozzle to the storage tanks, there is an air sense port in the spout of the nozzle which recirculates vapour in the nozzle only and when your tank is full and fuel enters the air sense port creates a vacuum and actuates a diaphragm in the nozzle which makes it 'click off'.
the only truth there is that you may get more fuel if you pump slowly. if the meter (which measures the fuel being pumped) is faulty then pumping slowly will allow a higher pressure from the pump in the meter which will allow fuel to pass through the seal instead of being displaced and measured. but if your lucky you might end up with 200ml for free out of a 50 litre tank, hardly worth the wait of a slow pump.

Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT fill up--most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

there is a filter on the suction side of the pumps, a filter on the pressure side of many pumps as well as a filter screen in the swivel of the nozzle! I seroiusly doubt any crap can get past 3 filters and then the fuel filter in the car and be big enough to block injectors / carby

the only other thing I will suggest is stay far away from anything with ethanol in it.Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

if you want to know how to get cheap (read free) fuel then I will PM details once funds have cleared
;);):D

Zerrath

Thanks Goldrush

that is really useful to know, since the petrol prices are no doubt going to continue to rise.
Guess i will get petrol before i get ready for a trip in the morning.
Never heard any of this before so I will spread it to my other 4WDing mates.

Thanks again Goldrush

-Brodie

Last edited:

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
you could host it on a website and then have a link on the post.

Nick

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Changing your spark plugs regularly or to a platinum series will help to improve fuel use. I moved from a NGK standard to a Bosch platinum and the economy jumped. After 10,000KM the economy is the best it ever been

LowLux

Changing your spark plugs regularly or to a platinum series will help to improve fuel use. I moved from a NGK standard to a Bosch platinum and the economy jumped. After 10,000KM the economy is the best it ever been
ITs a bugga the O'l diesel doesn't have spark plugs.

LowLux

'Original quote from Mrw 82' "if you want to know how to get cheap (read free) fuel then I will PM details once funds have cleared"
WT? Funds for what?